mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Best Lightweight SS Crankset

What's the word folks? Looking for a pinner lightweight SS crankset and I would love some feedback. One issue is the 120 BCD that Truvativ/Sram uses on their 2x cranksets, I have no idea where you can get a 32t 120 BCD ring. I'm currently looking at:
    SRAM X.0 DH
    Noir XC SS (old)

Help would be great!

Thanks,

mtbr member

Ad at Top of Page

Try the HBC banner at the top of the page.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm not sure what a 'pinner' crankset is... is that a typo?

I believe a BCD of 120 is too large for 32T but I might be mistaken. Standard 104 BCD is JUST barely small enough for some special 31T rings... but again... I could be wrong on all of this...

I personally love Raceface cranks in general... lightweight, affordable, absolutely worry-free installation and setup as opposed to most of the Truvativ options out there... and the Shimano etc. options tend to be a little pricy for my preference.

The need for singlespeed
    Probably the two lightest readily available cranksets are the M960 modified for SS and the X0. With a HBC ring and a judicious removal of unnecessary material in the modification, you can get the M960 down pretty close to 600g including an XT or XTR bottom bracket. Running a spiderless chainwheel on the X0 is probably comparably light; meltingfeather, ISAR and others run that setup. Perhaps they will chime in here with the weight (or you could search for it).
    Last edited by zaskaranddriver; 01-26-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: disambiguation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    ....With a HBC ring and a judicious removal of unnecessary material in the modification, you can get it down pretty close to 600g....
    You removed some of the material on the spiderless HBC ring? If so, which parts?

The need for singlespeed
    Oops, my post was a little ambiguous. Editing for clarity...

mtbr member
    I believe z&d means material removal from the crank arms.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    e*thirteen is another option. Not as light as a modified XTR, but pretty good option.

Single Speeder
    My 2 cents...

You can have any chainring made as mentioned. I bought a set of the new 10 speed XTR cranks that have a BCD of 88, so I had to have one made also (HBC is the only place that I know of).

That said, I just bought a set of XT's for my g/f's SS for $200, and...well, for half the price of my XTR's, the XT's sure do look almost as nice and don't weigh much more .
    "There's little traffic on the extra mile".

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I bought a new set of XTR's on ebay, then sold the 3 rings. Great cranks (best IMO) at a great price.

Mojo