Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

BEST Crank for a SS under 200 bucks...

Looking for a crank for my ONE9 thats coming. I know I have read about older XTR cranks is that best way to go? Want to keep it light as possible....Thanks for your help....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SC Highball-SS-....Supersix-EVO1

Apr 2007
    XT or SLX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    XT or SLX.
    What he said.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Did I catch a niner?
    On a side note I have not seen a SLX in 180mm but do see XTs. I personally use 180mm cranks (non shimano). So if that matters to you, but I am seriously considering the SLX set.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Love my modified m960 xtr cranks. Bottom brackets have been the best i've had yet. Light and stiff to boot.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    What gets modified on the 960's? I can't tell from the few pics I've seen. What's the weight on them?
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Low Rep Count
    I have a set that I got modified (coated and milled down). Basically, the ends of the 4 star arms are fairly square and stick out towards the pedal side. In modifing them, these areas are tapered down and rounded out giving them a more finished look. Basically, it makes them look like they came ready to only run one chain ring.

I want to say that the weight on them minus the bearing cups is somewhere in the low to mid 600 gram range w/ my home brewed chainring on them. Probably close to 630-50 ish. Love mine. Find Crazy8 on here as he has a company that mods/coats them and you can get the custom chainrings from ISuckAtRiding. Both products rock and are very light for the money.

Now, I will tell you that modding the cranks will run you about $150. So you can pick up a used set via Ebay or whereever and then get them modded when you are ready or you can get them directly from Crazy8 already modded for about $300. Might be more than you want to spend but I tell you when you get them back from Crazy8 they will basically be a brand new crank set!

Low Rep Count
    First picture is the before Crazy8 got ahold of it. I actually bought it this way off Ebay. while it served its purpose, it was not very professional looking like this. In the second picture I think you can see how everything was smoothed out and the color of the arms changed as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BEST Crank for a SS under 200 bucks...-drive%252520train.jpg  

BEST Crank for a SS under 200 bucks...-crank.jpg  

Man up
    Sep 2010
    1spd, what do those weigh after that material is removed vs. before?
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    How do I get in touch with Crazy8?
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

The need for singlespeed
    Send him a PM, or check his website.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

XT's

XT's... have used them for years and no issues. Good bearings and a solid build.

Just got a killer deal combining some deals at Performance and ended up with XT M770's for $130.

Used the $199.99 price and added a 29er tube to get over the $200 limit and got $50 with the discount "724" and got the 20% off the 12 hours sale...

Now I wait to get them

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blsuedeshu
    How do I get in touch with Crazy8?
    http://www.ceramikoat.com/

the crank comes in at 540g with the chainring and without the bottom bracket, so i would venture to guess low 600's with the bb.

Here's a thread on this crankset:
    Another XTR M960 SS conversion...

Bad Mechanic did his for about $200 total. The coating is well worth the money, the cranks hold up VERY well to shoe rub. The only thing that has taken off the coating so far is rocks, but i'm talking a pretty substantial hit.
    Most of us have buddies running this crank on their geared bikes. Chances are, their chainrings are shot and they know replacement rings are about $75 each. There's a good chance they'd sell you the crank for pretty cheap so they can go buy something with a not-so-proprietary chainring setup (not an issue if you use it as a SS or 1x9 crankset).

Jul 2006
    someone's goingto be pissed i posted this, but here you go:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Shimano-XTR...item2c575731b2

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Truvativ Stylo are well under $200.00 and mine have been through a ton of stuff.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg
    Truvativ Stylo are well under $200.00 and mine have been through a ton of stuff.
    I have those as well, but the bottom bracket has been pretty sub-par IMHO. I got 2 weeks out of my last one before they felt like gravel (first water crossing did them in).

Apr 2007
    Stylo's downright suuuuck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have two sets of Stylo 1.1 OCTs, and they work pretty well. I did replace the BB on one after about 150 rough, wet and dirty miles on it, but have had to do same on XT and FSA cranks used in similar conditions...

SSOD
    Now that everyone is dissing the Stylo I'm getting interested in this thread. I've got one with about 500 miles on it and it needs a new bb. I usually clean it monthly and re grease everything and it still blows. The dust seals are for crap on those things and don't keep it out at all. The cranks have been reliable though so not sure if I should go with a new crankset or just get a better bb, but you guys do make a good argument for those m960 mentioned above.

Apr 2007
    Crosstown, my wife is a hefty 110lbs and after one season (of not riding that much), the bb needs to be replaced. What a piece!

openwound
    I run stylo's on my bikes with no issues. Granted, I don't ride when it's super sloppy. Enduro sells a number of different bearing options. Changing out the bearings is a pretty simple job. They're not the blingiest cranks around but they aren't bad either.

Check the ads here on mtbr. I saw an ad yesterday for new 175mm XT's, no rings, for $165.00

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew
    Now that everyone is dissing the Stylo I'm getting interested in this thread. I've got one with about 500 miles on it and it needs a new bb. I usually clean it monthly and re grease everything and it still blows. The dust seals are for crap on those things and don't keep it out at all. The cranks have been reliable though so not sure if I should go with a new crankset or just get a better bb, but you guys do make a good argument for those m960 mentioned above.
    Yep, the seals suck balls. The M960 seals look cheap as well, but i have 4+ years on the same BB (with the same abuse as the stylo), and i got this crankset used. I have never lubed them either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ral83178
    XT's... have used them for years and no issues. Good bearings and a solid build.

Just got a killer deal combining some deals at Performance and ended up with XT M770's for $130.

Used the $199.99 price and added a 29er tube to get over the $200 limit and got $50 with the discount "724" and got the 20% off the 12 hours sale...

Now I wait to get them
    Just got a set myself! Thanks for the code

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't know...I have a ton of miles on the bb in all conditions, creek crossings, dust, pouring rain and they are still spinning. The drive side bearing is getting a little rough so I may replace them this winter at, what, 30-40 bucks? Anyway I've been happy with them.
    I do have some 952 Xtr arms I may try but I'd have to hunt down an Xtr v1 octolink bb.

There are a lot of good options out there for us today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast