mtbr member
    Sep 2009

best conversion kit?

I know this question has probably been asked a million times, but I couldn't find a thread that addressed it. Which singlespeed conversion kit works best? I know when I was thinking about doing this a year or two ago a lot of people were liking the Rennen kit, but it seems I can't find it anywhere. Any advice would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Do you also need a tensioner? If you do I would get the DMR kit - I like it's tensioner the most.
    If you have alu freehub body then wide base cogs (like surly) will be better than narrow ones. If your freehub body is steel then any cog will work fine.
    There is no any noticable difference between the spacers from different manufactures - they just have to make it possible to finetune the chainline.
    It's better to use singlespeed specific chainring and cog, both 1 speed and 8 speed chains will work.
    Maybe you will also need shorter chainring bolts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Be careful with the DMRs. They have very little room for side to side adjustment. I am using the middle ring on an old Race Face crank on an equally old Litespeed Obed. In order to get a straight chainline (which was incredibly easy to set up thanks to this forum), my rear cog is somewhere around the middle of the freewheel. With my frame, DMR could not be adjusted inwards enough to support the chainline. If your cog is near the outside of the freewheel, you should be ok. I switched to the Surly tensioner and it set up incredibly easy. Much wider range of adjustment.

mtbr member
    It's not the cheapest option, but in my experience, a surly singleator and surly spacer kit (purchased separately) are a very good option and well worth the money. The singleator's "push-up" setting gives it an edge over other tensioners in my opinion. It also has good side to side adjustment on the roller wheel. You're also gonna want to make sure and get a kit with some smaller spacers for your rear cog so you can fine-tune your chainline. Good luck!