Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mulleticious

New question here. Best 29er Ti frame for SS?

In my quest for continuous improvement, I'm currently on a Niner SIR9 SS and it is true - steel is REAL good. I like the compliance due to a bad back.

People I've spoken to say a Ti frame would be even sweeter. So I'm wondering what the experience out there is with Ti 29er frames used for SS.

So far my research has lead me to the Lynskey Pro29 SL, Salsa El Mariachi Ti and Vassago Optimus Ti. Any thoughts?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    If money was no object, I'd probably do this but I'm a fat tire convert.

For nonfat offerings and still no object for money, Black Sheep would be my choice I think. No reason other than I think they look pretty awesome and I could get exactly what I want.

These things are fun to daydream about.

I also want a Jones.

mtbr member
    Built by Lynskey for Kona:
    KONAWORLD

I've got three races on mine as a SS so far this year, and it's the most fun I've ever had on a mtb. Strongly recommend Ti, and even more so the Raijin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have had multiple steel frames and titanium frames and i can't say titanium rides any sweeter than steel. Tubing diameters, design and manufacturer is going to play a bigger role than frame material in my experience.
    I have ridden a black sheep and they are super compliant and ride awesome but they also are known for braking. I had a voodoo zaka and it did not ride nearly as nice as my spot steel frame. OX platinum is an incredible steel riding bike but that bike broke. I have heard mixed reviews on OX as far as durability but i can say they ride awesome. I rode a reynolds 853 spot and it rode nice but it was not as compliant and a heck of a lot heavier too.

I am now on a kona raijin. It rides really nice but it was built to be bombproof and not as compliant as other titanium frames i have ridden. I weight 190 pounds and I am rough on stuff. If you are a light way guy my advice may not be applicable.

So my two cents...forget about frame material and do a little more research on the other stuff rather than strictly frame material.
    If you talk to builders and you tell them you are rough on stuff they will build a bike that will not ride like one made for someone who weighs a 135

Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    In my quest for continuous improvement, I'm currently on a Niner SIR9 SS and it is true - steel is REAL good. I like the compliance due to a bad back.

People I've spoken to say a Ti frame would be even sweeter. So I'm wondering what the experience out there is with Ti 29er frames used for SS.

So far my research has lead me to the Lynskey Pro29 SL, Salsa El Mariachi Ti and Vassago Optimus Ti. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was riding a steel SS the last 3 seasons (Surly) and this winter I got my Pro29sl SS. ~400mi or so on it now..I can honestly say that I was totally blown away with it's compliant ride and vibration damping quality..I can't recommend it enough! I had read some reviews where people said the frame was too stiff, but I can only guess that maybe they were coming off a FS bike, and expected a little too much from a hardtail. I'll be doing my first race of the season with it in a couple weeks, cannot wait.

My totally biased vote goes to Lynskey and a PRO29SL

-Gabe

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Really, the best SS Ti hardtail will be a custom one. Especially if you have requirements like a nice ride but not too sloppy. Quiring did a great job on mine...and his prices are great. If you search "ratfink" in the forums you'll see one of the nicest SS bikes I have ever seen. IMO custom is better than going stock, especially when stock prices get to 2k and over. Steel vs Ti? Don't believe the hype about Ti being better...it is about how the frame is designed and built. This is why it is good to talk to a builder about what you want. My stock steel frame is more compliant than my custom Ti, but that was what I asked for. The steel frame rode nicely but was wobbly with a sus fork in the front end. The Ti frame was made to be "solid, without being harsh" in Quirings words. Pretty much spot on too. From what I have read and seen myself sometimes Ti frames can be a little "soft" especially if they are a little on the light side.

Just saw Cbrock's post above. Agree with it all. My steel frame was Ox, nice and compliant, and no complaints with BB flex, but I am 75-80kg not too heavy. Custom builders probably won't spec Ox for a whole frame as I was told it is viewed as a little light. Probably why it wasn't solid in the front. Works well with a rigid fork though. The Kona Rajin is one of the nice looking stock frames I would put on the list too. Nice looking geo for me.
    Last edited by finch2; 04-15-2013 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    www . pipedreamcycles.com/product/skookum-29er-ti/

That's a good buy. My brother has one and its a beauty! Rides amazingly well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oh and its built by |Lynskey so you cant go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Also consider the Spot Rocker: Spot Brand Bicycles Product Page Rocker SS Ti
    The belt drive is said to work really well with this bike. I might get one for myself...

mtbr member
    You want off the shelf Ti or custom built Ti ?

All your suggestions are off-the-shelf.

Where do you ride? how hard do you ride? What do you want from the frame?

Many questions need to be answered before anything can be recommended.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a Lynskey Pro29 SL. Love it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I will have a Ti frame one day, but it won't be because I am looking for more compliance. I think my current scandium frame is more compliant than my steel framed bike.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    If money was no object, I'd probably do this but I'm a fat tire convert.

For nonfat offerings and still no object for money, Black Sheep would be my choice I think. No reason other than I think they look pretty awesome and I could get exactly what I want.

These things are fun to daydream about.

I also want a Jones.
    That Moots fat bike looks like fun, but it must weigh a ton?! We don't get much snow either...

Yes I like the Black Sheep but I'm in the UK and don't know how to acquire one from here

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    You want off the shelf Ti or custom built Ti ?

All your suggestions are off-the-shelf.

Where do you ride? how hard do you ride? What do you want from the frame?

Many questions need to be answered before anything can be recommended.
    Yeah I know I didn't give enough info - wasn't sure I'd get any replies!

This would be my local bike - not particularly rough trails, or any steep climbs. A few small drops but nothing serious. I plan to run it with the Niner RDO fork. Rigid and SS.

I'm looking more for a lightweight compliant frame - like the SIR9 but lighter if that exists - and am 190lbs kitted up. For example I looked at the Kona Raijin, but a lot of reviews said it is built really tough so is less compliant. That's not what I'm looking for, or what I need.

I don't think I can afford a custom build, but the real issue with that is that I live in the UK and don't know any renowned custom Ti builders here.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I will have a Ti frame one day, but it won't be because I am looking for more compliance. I think my current scandium frame is more compliant than my steel framed bike.
    Someone suggested I look at the Niner Scandium One 9 but I didn't think any more of it cos I hate the harshness of aluminium.

Perhaps I should investigate that further and save some cash? Is it that much better than the SIR9 though or will I be disappointed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I love my One 9. Light, good compliance, but stiff enough for me. The SIR's seemed to be a little too flexy for me, but it's all personal preference and the terrain you ride.

If you really like the SIR9 and its characteristics, getting a frame that is a 1/2 pound lighter isn't going to make you faster. I would think that you would be very disappointed and the bang/buck value would be very very low.

Instead, look into getting a nice set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been drooling over this for a few months now....counting up my pennies until I can afford to start building my dream SS rig this summer...

Ti 420

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    I love my One 9. Light, good compliance, but stiff enough for me. The SIR's seemed to be a little too flexy for me, but it's all personal preference and the terrain you ride.

If you really like the SIR9 and its characteristics, getting a frame that is a 1/2 pound lighter isn't going to make you faster. I would think that you would be very disappointed and the bang/buck value would be very very low.

Instead, look into getting a nice set of wheels.
    Yeah - I hear what you're saying. This is why I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I'm still not convinced.

My large SIR9 frame is heavier than you think - it weighs 5.34 lbs (2,425g) with its EBB (which is more than Niner claim). So I'm hoping for a saving of around 1lb on the frame which when you're down at the 20lb mark for the whole bike, that 5% will be noticeable.

I AM investigating Light Bicycle (Nancy) carbon rims at the same time though, like you suggest, and that should save another half a pound.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    So I'm hoping for a saving of around 1lb on the frame which when you're down at the 20lb mark for the whole bike, that 5% will be noticeable.
    I don't know....personally, whether I've got a full water bottle on the bike or not, I don't feel much difference between the two. I believe rotational mass is more noticeable, though, which is why I suggested wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not a bad price for a USA Ti frame

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    I've been drooling over this for a few months now....counting up my pennies until I can afford to start building my dream SS rig this summer...

Ti 420

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Not a bad price for a USA Ti frame
    FAQ

I like what Carver is doing but it's not USA Titanium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow thought they were made in Maine. Is lynskey the best option for SS Ti if you want a light Ti USA frame.

FAQ

I like what Carver is doing but it's not USA Titanium.

mtbr member
    Off the shelf....probably.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Off the shelf....probably.
    yeah not for custom IMO. If their silver series was SS friendly it would be a good option cost wise. If you want cheap Ti there are some chinese makers but you will need to do your homework.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast