Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008

Bent Surly chainring

I recently picked up an LX crank and 4-bolt, 32 tooth Surly SS chainring. No bash ring. Going over a log today I bent it about 3/8" out of line between 2 bolts. I bashed it with a rock a few times and it seemed to pop back into shape... looks like it's still out by maybe 1/32".

Has anyone continued to ride a chain ring after such a repair? Since it's steel I feel like it should be OK but I'm wondering if it's worth risking a failure down the line. I have a bash ring off a Stylo I may throw on to protect the ring in the future.

Thanks
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

been there done that

I also have a Surly ring and I have bent it many times on rocks and logs. Been riding it about 2 years since the first bend without any problems until the latest bend which was worse. I bent it and could not quite get it trued up; threw the chain and crashed as a result, so time for a new ring. I would not worry about the ring breaking, just about throwing the chain if it is bent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I bent mine messing up on a log-over. I bent it back on the trail and it failed straight away.

Personally just do not bother with Surly rings anymore as it sucks when they fail.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Do you run a bash ring? I assume not if you're bending chain rings...

I finished the ride after the repair (probably another hour or so) without dropping the chain, so it seems to be OK.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    Do you run a bash ring?

Nope. ( I guess you don't either )

I have never bent or broken an aluminum ring. I stick to BlackSpire or Race Face these days.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Surly rings bend pretty easily, especially 4 bolt. I've bent them back before, and not been able to as well (I should have learned)
    Just run a bash guard or switch back to a Al ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I probably should run a bash ring since I am constantly going over various obstacles. I am running a race face crank with a 110mm x 5 bolt pattern and a 34 tooth ring. Oh well, I have a 'I suck at riding' ring on order

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the input, all. Another successful ride today on the damaged ring!

I don't think I have that bashring laying around anymore, so I'm just going to toss a worn out big ring on there.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Get that big ring and file the teeth off. You know you have the burn time. Any pictures of your Surly anywhere?

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Just tossed a few up here:

Another 650b Surly 1x1