Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bent my ring!

805 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ferday 
#1 ·
Alright all,

Loving my single speed bike, but on today's ride, i noticed a creak/groan coming from the cranks, and I've bent my chain ring! Bit annoyed as it's supposed to be a single speed ring.

So anyways, what do you guys use, and are there any strong ones you can recommend?

Cheers,

Tom

#4 ·
Tolk83 said:
Not a Surly, it was an E.Thirteen guide ring. Bolts were nice and tight, maybe I'm just trying to pedal where I should be walking ;)
weird, i ran one of those rings back in the day and it should have held. Something's gotta be off. How's your chainline? How was the chain tension, and what are you using to tension the chain?

#7 ·
ISuckAtRiding said:
weird, i ran one of those rings back in the day and it should have held. Something's gotta be off. How's your chainline? How was the chain tension, and what are you using to tension the chain?
Chain line's spot on, took my time on that one. Tension is as someone suggested, the chain has about 2cm movement halfway between the cog and chain ring. Tension is via a superstar tensioner, that I'm running inverted, so the chain wraps around the cog better.

Maybe i had a dud ring or just bad luck. Just found a Gussett Tribal ring, which is a bit burlier, so I'll give that a go.

#9 ·
Bent it?

Tolk83 said:
Alright all,

Loving my single speed bike, but on today's ride, i noticed a creak/groan coming from the cranks, and I've bent my chain ring! Bit annoyed as it's supposed to be a single speed ring.

So anyways, what do you guys use, and are there any strong ones you can recommend?

Cheers,

Tom
Tom, where/how is the chainring bent? They can be bent back. If it's tweaked a bit try bending it back gently with a crescent wrench or channel locks. Maybe i am missing something but your post is not very detailed on the problem.:thumbsup:

#10 ·
I just bought a Race Face single ring...solid so far.....

"Overview
Race Face’s new Single ring - burly enough for DH Racers and Dirt Jumpers, yet light enough for XC/singlespeed. Designed and machined in our Vancouver, BC facility, tested on the North Shore and in the Whistler Bike Park."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.