mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Been thinking about a GF rig

Hey guys, I've been thinking about trying a GF rig on for size, but the whole SS thing has me a little intimidated. I tried riding my current geared ride in the same gears 32-20 on my local trail and found that it totally kicked my a$$ and was left wondering if a SS would be a bad choice for me. Or if any of you had a similar experience the first time you rode a SS. Any help would be Great, Advice, Comments?

I have red hair
    A SS 29er is, in my opinion, a little easier to get used to, because you get better rolling resistance, and you'd have to put in less effort than on a 26er. So the Rig may not be so bad for you (assuming you're coming off of a 26er). check the classifieds, I believe there's a really sweet deal on one right now.

Yup,

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=32533&cat=

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gee7879
    Hey guys, I've been thinking about trying a GF rig on for size, but the whole SS thing has me a little intimidated. I tried riding my current geared ride in the same gears 32-20 on my local trail and found that it totally kicked my a$$ and was left wondering if a SS would be a bad choice for me. Or if any of you had a similar experience the first time you rode a SS. Any help would be Great, Advice, Comments?
    I 'rescued' my GF Rig 29er SS from E-Bay it's an 06 for $700....LUV IT!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    go for it, SS is so much fun, and the rig is an awesome bike

WNC Native
    I thought the same thing when trying it on my geared bike. Then I purchased a Redline Monocog 29er SS. It was easier than I expected and very addicting. Don't get me wrong you have to be in shape, but it's nowhere near as tough as I expected. I now have a Jabber on the way for the SS duty.

The cool thing about the 08 & 09 rig is the frame is already setup to run gears also.

Green Hornet

I love my Rig

Craigs list under $900 for a 08. The bike is awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My current ride is an 06 GF sugar 292 29er. I like it. Has anyone rode an 09 rig, what do ya think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We've all been where you're at. I bought a '07 Rig *cheap* from a friend who was moving just so I could try the 29er thing. Not only did I love the big wheels, the SS bug bit me too.

Like you I was seriously wondering if the SS thing was more than I could handle. At first it seemed like I was walking more than riding. There were hills I swore I'd never be able to climb on a SS. I was seriously trashed after even short rides. But, I enjoyed the characteristics of single speeds (the lack of drive train noise was #1 for me) that we talk about up here so I promised myself I'd give her a month.

A few weeks later it all started to come together. I re-learned how to stand while climbing (I almost always sat while climbing on my Turner 5-spot), learned to carry my momentum better into the climbs, etc. At the end of the month, I was averaging 1-1.5 mph faster on my typical loops on the SS than I was on the 5-spot.

Since, I rode the Turner one more time, didn't like it, and took the higher end parts off of it to build/fund a SIR9. It is now just a frame in sitting sadly in the basement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Not The Same

I did the same thing and had the same thoughts at first. I rode my geared bike in one gear to see what a SS was like. I did'nt like it. I purchased a Jabberwocky anyway and found it to be alot better. A dedicated SS drivetrain is much more efficient than a geared bike in one gear. I feel like I am getting much stronger from SSing. I did have to completely alter my climbing style. Try different gears also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the help guys I think as soon as I get a few extra bones together (and convince my wife I need another mountain bike) I'm going to go for it, it might be late spring but I see a GF rig in my future.

Any recommendations on the sizing I've had one guy tell me to go with the smallest frame I am comfortable on, Then another guy told me on a GF go with the largest frame your comfortable on. Any Advice? My current bike is a 19 or 19.5, fits me just right as far as I can tell.

WNC Native
    If your comfortable on your current bike, then go with which ever size frame that has the closest top tube measurement to what your currently riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I rode a medium Sugar 293 and felt comfortable, I now own a large 2009 Rig. Like nitrous said, check the TT measurement, but better yet, ride one.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" 205 and my 293 is a Large and my Rig is an XL. Both fit perfect for the type of ride they are and provide. YMMV

WNC Native
    I'm 6' with 32" inseam and I have had 4 19" (Large) Fishers. I also have had a 19" Redline Monocog 29 that fit well too. They all fit me well. All of them have been in the 24.5-24.9" Top Tube measurement range. If that helps you any.