Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

the beauty of DOS

4K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  Mallanaga 
#1 ·
dang! this is purty, like a purty moufh

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
PVD... ENO has a matching crank with 2 gears as well, to keep the chain the same length the same, and keep a nice chain line.

but if you did use alone, with a single crank gear, using an eccentric ENO rear hub with vert drops would be just fine.

#18 ·
pvd said:
You may want to double check your math. Those combo's do not work with vertical dropouts.

see: http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Chain_Length_Calculation
Aah, vertical drops, no tensioner, missed your first post. Minimal adjustment on any normal SS without needing two chains. How much need is there for 2x2 on non-SS frames anyway? For example your 2x2 wiki bike would work just fine w/ an ENO Dos setup.

#20 ·
pvd said:
but then i would need tools to change gears. this is my point, I only need to use my QR to change gears. I do not need to change axle positions. you cannot do this with the DOS product.
I don't run 2x2 and don't think I ever will, but I never find myself without tools and since it takes me less than a minute to reset chain tension, I still don't see the need. Also, 30x19 seems a bit insane as a SS gear to me(not that I'm really into the ENO Dos gear choices either), but if it works for you than that's fine.

#21 ·
PVD... you aggravate me. ENO make an eccentric rear hub. think EBB only built into the rear hub. so yes... those gear ratios would work... and then some.

also... why wouldn't those ratios work? +3 -3 even if you didn't have the eccentric hub, that would keep your chain spot on the same length (your math is fuzzy. who cares about 2 hundredths of an inch... seriously :rolleyes:). i ain't past the bar, but i know a little bit...

#23 ·
I can do a Dingle setup with no tools without changing the axle position with any gear ratio as long as it is the same difference. I don't know why you can't. I mean, just get some Tugg-Nuts with the QR washer, set your chain tension using the track ends, then just pop the wheel on and off. Or have sliders to tension the chain. Neither would require setting up the chain tension again and would be compatible with any ratio with any chainstay length.

#24 ·
pvd said:
Those eccentric hubs are a total joke. They remind me of the 'isolator Hubs' of the early ninties. ha ha. quote]

Elaborate. I've had one since they came out and it is just now needing new berrings and has worked flawlessly. It gives folks the opertunity to turn a conventional frame w/ vertical dropouts into a ss without using a tensioner. The only flaw is that it changes the frames pitch slightly, but never to a point that it affects how I ride. Thats a very minor thing compared to what you get out of it. And "Isolator" hubs we're nothing of the sort.

And I would have never gotton into an activity that involved a little "having to make adjustments" every once and a while. I mean you spend hours upon days trying to perfect some new widget, but seem to have an issue spending 30 seconds making a minor adjustment. :confused:

#26 ·
pvd said:
but then i would need tools to change gears. this is my point, I only need to use my QR to change gears. I do not need to change axle positions. you cannot do this with the DOS product.
If the only real difference is QR versus bolt on...you can put the DOS freewheel on a QR thread-on SS hub and change gears without tools. Assuming a frame with sliding dropouts like the one you have pictured, or an EBB. Then the DOS ENO set-up works just fine on the trail...without tools.

The limited gear ratios is another story...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.