mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Beater Bike turned into Winter SS

My riding in the winter is muddy roads (in Portland, OR), and I didn't want to get my nice new bike trashed every year, so I turned my 2008 Giant Rincon into a winter mud bike. Plenty of room for mudguards, and the singlespeed drivetrain isn't as touchy as the old cheap Shimano components. So it's a very reliable bike that I can hang up wet. The wheels are super heavy, though, so it's a bit of work getting up grades. Oh, and the stock fork was just falling apart (the stanchions were so degraded, I could wobble it side to side), so I got a Salsa fork. There's an innertube blocking the mud around the lower headset race, which also has the effect of making the fork look more like it fits the bike (those Salsa forks are really narrow under the headset, and they look funny when mated with a headtube this size).

Turns out, it's quite fun to ride! Kenda 2.5 inch Nevegal on the front certainly helps cushion things. But it's still an aluminum jackhammer!

Oh, and don't hate on the Surly Singleator- it's gonna be a lot easier to maintain chain tension, considering I'll be chewing through chains and rear cogs in all that mud. Not having to reinvent the "magic gear" every three weeks will be a big plus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beater Bike turned into Winter SS-img_3615.jpg  

Beater Bike turned into Winter SS-img_3617.jpg  

Beater Bike turned into Winter SS-img_3622.jpg  

mtbr member
    I like it, well done!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's your definition of a beater bike... damn

Awesome bike!

mtbr member
    Phase 1.

Enjoy.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by damnilocano
    My thoughts exactly. I was expecting to see a Huffy or Wallgoose.

Looks nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damnilocano

Awesome bike!

Cannot see the beater bike in the pics...

smalljeans
    ...don't worry it's coming...

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'll trade your beater for my nice mountain bike....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well, I guess it's not a beater after all. It's a two year old bike that was $380 when I bought it, and it's been ridden hard. One of the hubs (rear) was actually rusted shut one time (that mud again). So while it looks pretty good, it's not the fastest. Is fun, though.

Thanks!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    its always always always better to push up on the chain......you should since you have the singleator
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    its always always always better to push up on the chain......you should since you have the singleator
    Hey Chuck,
    How easy is it to get that other spring, and can you elaborate on why it's better? I'd be open to switching it around if it's not too much trouble. Is it just better chainwrap?
    Last edited by charley289; 10-01-2010 at 08:51 PM.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by charley289
    Hey Chuck,
    How easy is it to get that other spring, and can you elaborate on why it's better? I'd be open to switching it around if it's not too much trouble. Is it just better chainwrap?
    its rather simple if you have some good finger strength, only tool I needed was a screwdriver to remove the c- clamp. now first thing you want to do is remove the tensioner from your bike , behind the threads where the bolt goes into the hanger there is a c-clamp that hold the whole thing together. try to keep the spring from popping out on you by holding the assembly together with you fingers out some vise grips because it is very spring loaded. take out the c-clamp and slowly let pressure of the spring ,remove said spring and insert the other spring that came with your kit. be sure to remember which way to install the plastic washer and make sure the spring line up the the holes . clamp it down and insert the clip. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN SPRING, I ruined a spring that way and was stuck using a zip tie for a while

you get better chain wrap and minimize chain slip. hope this helps.if you need more help ill get you some pictures
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green