mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Beaten death..........what chains work with xx1 chainrings?

I currently run king/rennen cogs with a kmc k810 3/32" chain and I'm looking to upgrade my cranks.
    So who's running what chain?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by ardmoregeorge View Post
    I currently run king/rennen cogs with a kmc k810 3/32" chain and I'm looking to upgrade my cranks.
    So who's running what chain?
    I believe you want the xx1 11 speed chain that comes with with whole groupset.. Why do you want to upgrade to xx1 if you are just running ss?

Maybe go XX or XO spiderless with a bling ring. Might be cheaper and perhaps even lighter.

The big win with xx1 is when you run it geared. You can drop the use of the chain guide because of the odd tooth profile.

mtbr member
    I use a KMC 10 speed chain on my 1x10 with the XX1 crank. As mentioned above, it's overkill for SS. I run MRP bling rings on X0 & X9 cranks on my SS rigs with 9 speed SRAM chains.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member

Re: Beaten death..........what chains work with xx1 chainrings?

Isn't the xx1 relatively cheap compared to other high end cranks?

My brother's running the xx1 with included ring and an 8 speed chain with no issue so far. Think recs for xx1 chain are if you want to run 1x without a chain catcher/bashguard.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm interested in xx1 for the price point and the fact that i need bb30. For those with bb30/pf30. you know its nearly impossible to find a dedicated single ring bb30 crankset. and the bling ring is for gxp only to my understanding.

Just Ride
    For high end cranks XX1 is cheaper than XX or XO. XX1 is actually quite a bit cheaper than the other 2. Not just a little, and the weight is comparable.

I think sram assumes your gonna buy the whole group, they also realize you don't "need" an XX1 crank to run XX1 components. However for the 1x11 set up you do need the cassette, shifter and derailleur, so that's where they take you to the cleaners. I'd guess the lower price point on the XX1 crank would be in hopes that you'd buy that as well?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Bling Ring will work with a BB30 Sram X7/9/0 crank. I ran one on my stock BB30 X9 crank on my Spearfish.

Edit: wow, didn't realize how much cheaper the XX1 crank is compared to XX/X0. The only bummer with the XX1 in your stuck with (for now) Sram's 76bcd XX1 chainrings, which run about 100 dollars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Any idea what chain line that yielded?

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by FKMTB07 View Post
    The Bling Ring will work with a BB30 Sram X7/9/0 crank. I ran one on my stock BB30 X9 crank on my Spearfish.

Edit: wow, didn't realize how much cheaper the XX1 crank is compared to XX/X0. The only bummer with the XX1 in your stuck with (for now) Sram's 76bcd XX1 chainrings, which run about 100 dollars.
    XX1 doesn't have a removable spider? Looks like it does.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    I've been doing alot of looking at the xx1 for the price and weight...and i want to run spiderless which from everything i've seen and read it is convertible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yeah it's hard to tell if it's removable (I've not had one to play with) and if it has the same interface as the X7/9/0. Anybody got an XX1 and Bling Ring to try?

mtbr member
    I am running XX1 cranks and a Endless cog and am using a PC1 chain with no issues. I think you could run damn near any chain you want (3/32") and it will work fine. The XX1 chainring does not need a special chain but the rear cassette and derailleur do. But for SS run what you want.