mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Beach crusin' SS steel frame

Hello all,

So I'm moving from WY to FL and will begin constructing a more suitable cruiser for my riding. I'm thinking a 29er steel frame with a more relaxed fit, more cruiser style, but not quite a cruiser frame. I'm eventually going to throw a surfboard carrier on this and eventually do a custom paint job on the frame so it is one of a kind. Anyways, ideas are welcomed. I am more focused on the frame right now and cannot really locate a relatively inexpensive steel or Cromoly frame.

Thanks to all that have read and commented on this thread!

-Aj

What is your price range?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Prob sub 800 for a frame

one chain loop
    29" Quadangle

Beach crusin' SS steel frame-2013_se_29_quadangle_looptail_side.jpg
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Well, if I were in your shoes, I would get a cheap cruiser and call it good (maybe paint it, if you wish). Spending ~$800 for a street cruiser that will inevitably rust being exposed to salt water is not what I would want to spend my money on.

How about this SE bike from Jensen?

Se Bikes Big Style 29Er Cruiser Bike '12 > Complete Bikes > Beach Cruiser Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

If you really want something unique, I think you should up your budget and go custome ($~1,200+).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    what materials are best when exposed to salt in the air?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

mtbr member
    Aluminum will last years.

TORKER BICYCLES / RECREATION / 2012 T29

Titanium will out last you.

http://blacksheepbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    is Ti good in the salt air? I have a Ti Road (Litespeed 2001) and Ti MTB (Dean 2009) and love em both. For some reason I thought steel would be the way to go due to rust, but I'm quickly realizing that is completely wrong haha

mtbr member

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I have a Ti dive watch...I guess it works OK in salt water. Better than stainless steel I would guess too, depending on the type of stainless

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    So I think we have established Ti builders should target coastal towns more now haha

This bike would be my throw around so I'm really just throwing parts that are being replaced from my MTB. I already have a SS kit, but would prefer not to use a tensioner (those blow). Sliding dropouts would be sweet, but I'm not trying to get ridic. At this point a "relaxed" Ti frame, used would be sweet. When I mean relax, I am referring to the seat sitting further back and the pedals a lil more forward like a traditional cruiser...I know, dreaming. Ideally if I get a used Ti for cheap that would be sweet! Regardless, anybody have ideas to get started in this direction? Or know of such a frame to target? Are these "relaxed" pieces out there?

Thanks again,

-Aj

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Seems like a Ti frame (anything sub $400 and a lil smaller then my MTB frame) that I find on eBay will prob be where I go. Then I'd use a seatpost with a good amount of offset to get the "cruiser" effect. Also, throw some cruiser tires, flat pedals, riser handlebars, fenders, comfy seat, and a surfboard rack (and milk crate - love those).

Any ideas to get this started? Know of any cheap Ti frames available haha preferably with singlespeed or sliding dropouts! Oh man it is nice to dream..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If anybody sees an 18" Ti frame sub $400 can you PM me? Thanks!