Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Bash Guard or No Bash Guard

Just wondering how many run a bash guard compared to those that do not, and the reason why? As for me, I do, seen the scars on a few legs from chainrings

mtbr member
    I don't run one. There aren't many obstacles around here that create an issue with a little 32t up front.
    Signature

Ski N Bike Tech
    I have a 34T ring with a bash guard for now. When I jump up to a 36T next mid summer, the cranks I'm getting wont be able to accept one. I'm probably not going to miss it here in S.E. Michigan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Too many rocks while running 4-bolt. I run one so I don't have to walk back to the car.

mtbr member
    Lots of log crossings where I ride that would contact chain, to reduce the risk of damage I run a bash.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Run over a lot of logs and no bash guard on 34t... no issues.

mtbr member
    I run one and on top of everything already said, I like the clean look it gives my bike, honestly.

That's funny jm, I have one and aesthetically I like it more without but practically I like having it because of all the rocks and log-overs in my area. I don't often hit my bash guard on stuff but the few times I have I was glad it was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    with proper technique you don't need one.

[Help]Help with riding/jumping over stuff - MORE Forums with riding/jumping over stuff - MORE Forums[/url]

i always at least try to use proper technique i haven't had one in years. even with some infrequent contact between my rings and various logs and rocks i have never knocked a ring out of round.

unless you ride some freaky gnar gnar i see them as a fashion accessory. run one if you want but if your using it all the time and really slamming it into stuff i'd bet your technique could use some improving.

Warrior's Society
    Don't run one......don't like the way they look. The teeth don't protrude through the ring, so it's not s safety issue. Don't need it for getting up and over obstacles.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    My chainline is better without one. Plus the mounting bolts that came with the new ring I got wouldn't accommodate, and the crank I was moving the old ring onto needed longer bolts.

Currently have one sitting in my garage, not sure if I'll be putting it on or not now.

I ride over quite a few logs, and I mash the ring on some of the bigger ones occasionally but never had a problem resulting from it (knock on wood)
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

RIDE TO LIVE
    We have a lot of rocks and logs here in New England. I know a lot SS riders and the ones who don't run them eventually walk there bike out of the woods at some point. I've seen quite a few bent chainrings. I have been riding SS for 6 years and wouldn't run w/o a bashguard. Spot brand makes a nice, lightweight one for cheap $$ that works great.

Trail Junkie
    I use a Rotor Q-Ring, I think I'd have to make it myself if I wanted one to work..and it would inevitably look really clunky with the shape. Unless I just ran one that was a bit bigger than the chainring. Not a lot of log rollovers where I live, but with higher BB, and smaller chainring on my SS..its never really a problem and I usually pop my back end over stuff anyways. I don't think its really needed for that application.

My Tallboy is a different story with a 38T chainring and low BB, but again I use a Rotor ring...so not really something that's available.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't run one and we have tons of large rocks and downed trees.

human dehumidifier
    I run a BBG bash just because it's cheaper than a chain ring if I ever do slam one into something. FWIW I bent a cheap Spot bash at one time here on something. I got home, and there it was. Apparently it was just part of riding, not a huge hit or anything. The BBG would never bend like that thing did.

As for seeing scars on a few legs from chainrings, if you think that's bad try some flat pedals. Or for that matter, whack your shinbone on a SPD just right. I don't see the chainring being the major risk down in that area of the bike.
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

I run a bash as well. Mine's heavy. Anyone got a good suggestion on a lightweight model?

dirtbag
    I run a bash because it came with the crankset. It also looks better. Yeah, vanity...
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    As for seeing scars on a few legs from chainrings, if you think that's bad try some flat pedals. Or for that matter, whack your shinbone on a SPD just right. I don't see the chainring being the major risk down in that area of the bike.
    The bad scars are generally from an incident in which you're riding in the small/middle ring and your leg gets intimate with the teeth of the big ring.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    I run a bash as well. Mine's heavy. Anyone got a good suggestion on a lightweight model?
    http://bbgbashguard.com

They're light enough, they're strong enough, and doggone it, I just like them!

I may or may not be laughing at you.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Years ago, everyone used a "Rockring". Now most logs seem to have twigs ect,, in front and on back side of them. Not really needed anymore. Maybe i need to find some rougher trails. I'm better now and I also place front wheel on top of log and then push front/lift rear over. Smaller logs, get hooped over. I only have one on to keep my Chain from dropping off that side. In any event, enjoy your next ride.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    My SS came with a flimsy, plastic bash guard that will probably break first time it hits anything. I keep it on because I'm too lazy to remove it.

Only rides hardtails.
    I run one because it looks good on my cranks. It's also usefull for getting over downed trees and such without unclipping.
    Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Maxwell

mtbr member
    Have always had one but no more.

Modified xtr 960 on my ss = nobody makes one, and I have been fine. I'm a bit more careful about stuff, as the bashguard on my other bikes have definitely taken some hits.

SPP
    Rigid.

SlowPoke, wondering if that's something you can do yourself. Not sure if places like BBG in the link above would send you just a blank guard with no holes. Then you can drill it out to 102bcd. Shouldn't make a difference if you're not 100% centered as its just the bash guard.

mtbr member
    i like the clean aesthetic of no bash ring (chain guard). pure simplicity.

you may need shorter (bmx) chainring bolts without a chain guard..

and without a chain guard, you have the option of mounting your chainring inboard or outboard..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast