Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My bike came with one when I bought it. I'm not a weight fanatic, like the way it looks, and have bashed it a few times, so I won't be taking it off.

If I was building a bike I would get one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Have always had one but no more.

Modified xtr 960 on my ss = nobody makes one, and I have been fine. I'm a bit more careful about stuff, as the bashguard on my other bikes have definitely taken some hits.

SPP
    Blackspire makes a M960 guard

Blackspire - RingGodX | Blackspire

mtbr member
    I don't use a bashguard on my singlespeeds (or my IGH bike either) as around here it's more trouble than its worth because the gap between the bash and the chainring gets quickly filled up with pine needles and assorted other crap and it's a pain to clean out. Anyway, I've never had any chainring damage from the odd log or rock contact. Mind you, Middleburn Uno chainrings (and the HBC versions too) aren't easily bent nor can you run a bashring anyway.

I do use a bashring on my 2x9 FS bike though, as there are times when the chain is on the granny ring with nothing to protect the 32T chainring. Still gets jammed full of trail debris though....

banned
    I have one on all my bikes. I would not ride without it, but I do like to see how big of a tree I can ride over. There is a nice 3 1/2 footer right now I have been playing on and a 4 ft rock I have found to ride up like a ledge. All the technique in the world will not let you make this stuff without hitting the bash for the most part.

Anything under 2 ft normally I do not hit it unless I make a mistake, then I am glad it is there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Blackspire makes a M960 guard

Blackspire - RingGodX | Blackspire
    Yeah, but my cranks are mnodified and don't have that third position.

Not sure I would want to lose the clearance with a bash in the big ring position anyway. Before getting these cranks, I always ran shimano cranks with the bash just covering the middle ring.

SPP
    Rigid.

Bro Mountainbiker
    IMO,
    If you are slamming your BB/chain ring area into obstacles, you are not doing it right.

Im surprised more people dont use the first two techniques. They are easy as heck and you can clear almost anything up to 2 feet.

The bunnyhop is nice too, but can only be done at speed. These first two can be done really slow while climbing or riding technical stuff.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    I have one on all my bikes.
    I like the look, it protects, chain, chainring, my leg....blah blah blah...I like it and endorse it.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I use a Rotor Q-Ring, I think I'd have to make it myself if I wanted one to work..and it would inevitably look really clunky with the shape. Unless I just ran one that was a bit bigger than the chainring. Not a lot of log rollovers where I live, but with higher BB, and smaller chainring on my SS..its never really a problem and I usually pop my back end over stuff anyways. I don't think its really needed for that application.

My Tallboy is a different story with a 38T chainring and low BB, but again I use a Rotor ring...so not really something that's available.
    I used at 36t BBG with my Rotor Ring and it covered it quite well. Doesn't sound like you need one at all though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I run bbg and it's been fine. I do like the looks without it better but then again, it has taken a few good hits by now. More or less makes me more relaxed not having to think about it while going over logs and rocks.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    i like the clean aesthetic of no bash ring (chain guard). pure simplicity.
    That's funny, I feel the complete opposite. I tried no bash guard on my SS for a while and I thought it looked silly. I'll take the added weight of my Salsa Toothfairy over the lighter no-bashguard bike any day. FWIW I rarely hit it because with good technique you should always miss your chainrings (as max-a-mil pointed out); this is especially true on a SS where I'm on a 36t ring.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    if you're not hitting rocks and logs, we're mainly talking aesthetics.

historically, some bikes had a chain guard to keep your pants out of the moving parts.

silly? some people think a bike looks silly without a derailleur, but it never occurred to me to put one on my SS for appearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    http://bbgbashguard.com

They're light enough, they're strong enough, and doggone it, I just like them!

Just ordered two BBG. Thanks for the link, Stuart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    IMO,
    If you are slamming your BB/chain ring area into obstacles, you are not doing it right.

Im surprised more people dont use the first two techniques. They are easy as heck and you can clear almost anything up to 2 feet.

The bunnyhop is nice too, but can only be done at speed. These first two can be done really slow while climbing or riding technical stuff.
    Good video. I think it just depends on your terrain. There are some trails here that are too rocky/gnarly to be hopping over anything. Unless you start doing some trials stuff, which I'm incapable of doing.

mtbr member
    Sounds everybody is in complete agreement:
    If you like the way it looks, run one.
    If you don't, don't.

mtbr member
    double post...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Sounds everybody is in complete agreement:
    If you like the way it looks, run one.
    If you don't, don't.
    oddly, you're right.

form over function on the SS board.

who would have guessed?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have one on my current bike. I don't want to run it but I am too cheap to go buy the shorter chainring bolts and take it off. That money can be spent on a sixer!
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    No bash guard as of now. I do have one to put on should I decide to. Not sure if I like the look better with or without one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2