mtbr member
    May 2011

Is it a bad idea to run tubeless in a, White Ind. ENO Eccentric wheel?

Hi friends.

Got a new sweet rear wheel for this season. I've been running tubeless for a year now and haven't had a flat yet. I was gonna set this new wheel up tubeless but now I don't know anymore. If you do have a flat its a pain in the ass to take the wheel off with an allen keys and pretty much impossible to set the chain tension again unless you carry a wrench which I dont want to. I normally ride without a multitool (just extra tube, tire irons and co2)

Alternatively, if I'm running a tube I can always just take the tube out without removing it from the wheel.

What are you guys experiences?

achiever
    I'd be far more concerned about flatting with a tube rather than tubeless, actually.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior View Post
    I'd be far more concerned about flatting with a tube rather than tubeless, actually.
    I know, me too. The problem is that running tubeless will force me to carry tools which I would hate to. With the way I have my bike set up, I really dont need any tools cause it cant break (knock on wood)

achiever

Is it a bad idea to run tubeless in a, White Ind. ENO Eccentric wheel?

That's what I thought, too. Until the day I clipped a tree with my bars on a downhill I'd ridden dozens of times. I screwed up my front brake caliper & couldn't get the pads out because no tools. It was not a fun hike out with the gash in my knee. Finally, I found a person with a tool, got my pads out & rode the 10 miles back to my car & headed to the hospital to get stitched up.

Do yourself a favor: run tubeless, carry a tube & some tools along with a painkiller or two, just in case.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I know what you mean. I'm lucky that both of my local trails never get more than 4-5 miles away from the car park. When I go on longer rides I wear a camel bak. I prefer to ride "light" when I'm on my local trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Alternatively, if I'm running a tube I can always just take the tube out without removing it from the wheel.
    You could patch the tube without removing the wheel from the bicycle but you really can't replace the tube without removing the wheel. The problem is that you would need to remove the wheel to get the tube out of the rear triangle of the frame.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbicycles.com

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I don't ride with people that don't carry tools. Nothing personal, been riding since 1970's. I've been around, and seen some funky breakage over the years. I love my Chris King Fun bolts enough to carry EXTRA 8mm Allen. A lot of places are 2 hour walk back to trucks. Sometimes we drive 2 or 3 hours to Downieville or Tahoe, so the idea of spoiling your day because of lack of tools on a ride seems foolish. To each his own, and I hope you never flat. Really.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    You could patch the tube without removing the wheel from the bicycle but you really can't replace the tube without removing the wheel. The problem is that you would need to remove the wheel to get the tube out of the rear triangle of the frame.
    Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry Take a portion of the tube out of the tire. Not the whole thing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I don't ride with people that don't carry tools. Nothing personal, been riding since 1970's. I've been around, and seen some funky breakage over the years. I love my Chris King Fun bolts enough to carry EXTRA 8mm Allen. A lot of places are 2 hour walk back to trucks. Sometimes we drive 2 or 3 hours to Downieville or Tahoe, so the idea of spoiling your day because of lack of tools on a ride seems foolish. To each his own, and I hope you never flat. Really.
    Like I said, it's only on my local trails that I don't carry tools. I'm never more than a downhill hike/coast away from the parking lot. When I go on longer rides elsewhere I bring everything in my hydro pack.

mtbr member
    how hard would it be to pack a little wrench for that hub? it does not sound like a hardship.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    how hard would it be to pack a little wrench for that hub? it does not sound like a hardship.
    I like the idea of minimalist biking (within reason). I have my tube, patches, co2 and tire irons in an Awesome Strap strapped to the bike. When I want to ride, all I need to to is bring a bottle of water. No bag pack, nothing in an ugly seatbag and nothing in the jersey pockets. Might seem odd but thats the way I like it and it works on my local trails.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Sounds lame, but I carry same Camel back everywhere, with pretty much everything, which may be overkill. So my way is a little lame too, when going local for quick 40 minute local shred.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I don't want to hijack this thread so I apologize for asking this. first time tubeless user here and when I got these tubeless tires mounted I had a heck of a time and these beads really snapped tight when I aired them up. all I had for my tube tires was 2 plastic tire spoons in my backpack. do I need any special tools should I ever have to dismount this tubeless tire or will it break off the bead pretty easy once the air is out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    ...If you do have a flat its a pain in the ass to take the wheel off with an allen keys and pretty much impossible to set the chain tension again unless you carry a wrench which I dont want to. I normally ride without a multitool (just extra tube, tire irons and co2)..
    On my White Industries Eccentric hub I can set the chain tension with my fingers. It is much easier with a wrench, but easily done without.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.