mtbr member
    Jul 2005

bad crash on my monkey

i crashed on my karate monkey over the weekend and bruised some ribs pretty bad. any tips on how to get back riding asap. please no jokes, it hurts to much to laugh.

no worries, the bike is ok.

-j

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesabbath
    i crashed on my karate monkey over the weekend and bruised some ribs pretty bad. any tips on how to get back riding asap. please no jokes, it hurts to much to laugh.

-j
    Sorry to hear your jacked up Bruised and cracked ribs take a while to heal and heavy or labored breathing and the pulling and rattling of the rib cage while riding offroad, climbing, etc. can cause significant pain. Just take it easy and maybe do some easy spins on the road to keep your legs from getting completely stale. Hope you heal up soon!

mtbr member
    Just rest for about 3 weeks and stay off the monkey. I did the same thing on my SS and it took me 3 weeks to heal. If your monkey needs a ride, maybe your girlfriend could help out?? Sorry could not resist, yea and I know it hurts like he11 to laugh.

Drinkin' Buddy

I've done that...

I was night riding and hit a large sink hole/snake den/big hole in the trail suddently and smacked my ribs into my stem. Thought I had broken 'em, went to the doc, but merely seperated the visceral lining from the rib cage. Hurt like a sumbich so I did as reccomended above, did some mostly flat distance rides on the fixie to keep up some leg workouts, but walked the hill home to avoid heavy breathing.
    Just baby your chest, avoid heavy lifting and heavy breathing. Avoid funny teevee shows and humourous friends for a few weeks and you will be ok in two to three weeks.
    Got Beer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Upset 2 weeks or so

-j
    I just got done recovering from a bruised ribs/sternum myself. I tried riding between the 4x4 post going up to the starting hill at the bmx track and hit the handlebar on one post and fell onto the next post on my sternum, knocked the wind out and hurt like heck, still raced and somehow won. It did take about 2-2and 1/2 weeks to recover from, I shouldn't have been doing the lifting I do at work though.
    Now I just scraped my knee and put a hole close to my elbow on Wednesday night while ridding with the dog. My kmc chain came off at a most unopertune time, I believe that the master link was bad and caused it to derail, cause I had it tight and I was using redline chain tensioners, now I had to take thursday and friday off work cause it needs time to heal. Saw the doc yesterday and the hole is to big to stich back together (about the size of a nickel or a quarter) so I got some anti-biotics, to take topicially and orally. Gravel roads are pretty unforgiving. Now in search of a SRAM pc7x 1/8 single speed chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well Ouch!

-j

oohh! that must hurt a lot. I know that feeling. same thing happened to me about 3 months ago, took a bad fall, hit my chest on a log, got up, but couldn't breathe for about 30 seconds. i thought i punctured a lung or something. when i finally came to, it hurts so much just to breathe . i got back on the bike 3 days later, still hurting, but took my time riding. sure it hurts, but i find that my injuries tend to heal faster when i stay active, but careful. after a few days, pain on breathing went away, only appears when sleeping on the affected side and completely gone after about 1 month.

i'm not saying you should, but it may work for you as well, just take your time... .

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Here's a tip

I'm not a doctor, I don't even play one on tv, but I did break a couple of ribs a while back (fell over on a night ride and took a little stob in the side - ouch)
    I found that if I bound my chest really tight, I could breath pretty well without moving my ribs much. Wide ace bandage and a friend is good for this. I took it easy and stuck to the road bike, but was able to keep riding.
    Tom
    Lasciate Ogne Speranza, Voi Ch'Intrate
    ~Dante

Reviewer/Tester
    I broke three ribs when I cased a jump and hit the edge of a rock.

There was no way I could ride for a few weeks...it hurt too much.

I even tied a rope to the foot of the bed so I could pull myself up into a sitting position in the mornings to get out of bed.

It was really damn painful. I didn't even consider riding until I was healed up.

Best I could do was watch what I ate because I wasn't getting any workouts.

You should take it pretty easy for a while, just in case you hurt yourself worse by going out too soon.

R.
    It is inevitable ...