Thread: Back to steel

Low Rep Count

Back to steel

Well, I pulled the trigger like a bunch of other folks and bought a Vassago Jabber. Not much else to say about that other than the fact that the frame is heavier than Vassago lists. I am pretty sure I remember seeing 4.6 for the 16" frame but my scale showed 5.1. Add in the longer 400mm post and the whole bike picked up .3 lbs. But I will make a few changes here and there and see what I come up with. Basically swap out my bar ends and seat. Those two should drop about 100 grams (about 1/4 lb). Eventually the lighter summer tires will go on and I should end up right back at the high 20.somthing range. Right now its weight in at 21.88 lbs

None the less, here are a couple pics while it is clean. Hopefully it will be filthy tomorrow! I must say, I am quite pleased with Crazy8's work yet again. The crank came out awesome! He put a double coat on the front of the faces so hopefully between that and my swapping pedals will help to keep them nice and purty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back to steel-dsc_0547.jpg  

Back to steel-dsc_0550.jpg  

Back to steel-dsc_0554.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks nice. Get her good and dirty.

The need for singlespeed
    That's a lot sharper than the Moto. Black is the new black.
    How's the 16" fitting?

mtbr member
    1SPD get a photo for me outside in the light! Your going to like the way steel rides. Thanks

EXORCIZE
    I like the gold chain on black. And all Vassagos look sweet.

5.1 is .5 pounds heavier than 4.6. Where did the .3lbs number come from?
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    I like the gold chain on black. And all Vassagos look sweet.

5.1 is .5 pounds heavier than 4.6. Where did the .3lbs number come from?
    400mm seatpost.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    400mm seatpost.
    Nope the frame was off the stated weight as mentioned.

Sick looking bike! Love those black cranks.

Apr 2007
    I'm wondering if you're going to have pedal strike issues due to the shorter fork. IIRC, the bb is already low on the Jabber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Looks really good, though I think you may need help with your weight obsession.

Low Rep Count
    Well, no pedal strikes today on its first ride. The trails sorta sucked though. Even though the weather has been dry for the past 4 days the weather it has been freezing at night apparently so things are mush during the day!

The point .3 lbs came from a comparison from the Moto as a complete and the new Jabber built up with the same parts (plus the longer post). As a result, the new build is .3 lbs heavier than the Moto. Why not .5???

The 16 fits so well that I could not tell a difference in fit. I mean I jumped on the bike and expected something to feel different. But seriously, it felt just like MY bike! It was/is awesome. I realize how much nicer steel rides compared to aluminum.

Only had an issue with the wheel slipping on the drive side. I must not have set the tensioner right. Combaine freshly painted dropouts and a QR skewer and well...so I switched back to my bolts in the hub and shaved another 27g off the bike.

I pulled my Cane Creek bar ends and rode with my KCNC's today. I hate them! My gloves (lighter winter gloves) were slipping all over the place and they just weren't comfortable. I think I would prefer to go without bar ends rather than run a standard bar end. The down side is that the KCNC's weigh 47g for the pair and the CC's weigh 172g! I guess this is one of the things that function is going to win out over fashion or WWness!

I also weighed my San Marco ASPice saddle and came up with 149g which really isn't bad compared to my carbon SLR which comes in at 135g. I find the ASP more comfy to me so I wasn't worried about losing 15g. For now, I think I am good on the whole weight thing. The bike rides nice and it everything works!

RD, I will try to get some better pictures of it tomorrow when I get home from work. I was going to do it today but I was too damn excited about getting out to ride it. When I came home, the bike was pretty much lookin like a mud pie. But its all purty again so I will shoot them tomorrow.

The crank looks great btw!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Really pretty bike, and it should ride nicely.

Have you treated it with Frame Saver yet?

When are you finally going to give in and install a suspension fork?

Low Rep Count
    The frame comes pretreated, with the BB and head tube faced. Great deal actually!

Not sure when I will add some squish. Maybe when I get older!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    I'm wondering if you're going to have pedal strike issues due to the shorter fork. IIRC, the bb is already low on the Jabber.
    I thought it was going to be an issue on the Moto, but don't forget 1SPD only rides on sidewalks...

1SPD- sorry about the extremely heavy bike.

Low Rep Count
    Yep, I agree, it shouldn't be an issue with crank strikes until I come to a curb. I guess I will just have to hop off and pick the bike up when I come to those. Speed bumps could be an issue as well.

Yep, back on the heavy steel bike! Loven' it so far though. Nice to hear from you Umarth!

Bro Mountainbiker
    1spd, You are the most interesting weight weenie I have ever seen.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Low Rep Count
    Sorry about that. I would love to say that I am a practicing WW. But the reality is that my wallet just can't handle it. I have found that while a light bike is pretty neat, alot of the parts just don't hold up as well, are uncomfortable, over priced, cheaply made...In the end I usually find something that works for me and run with it. So far so good I guess. Then again, a lighter bike really does help out when you have to pick it up to go up and down curbs as Umarth suggests.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Good points. Not to mention a 15lb bike feels like way more when hiking miles out of the trail after something fails!

Low Rep Count
    I should add that I still like parts but tend to gravitate towards ones that I'm pretty sure will hold up and have a price that I can stomache. I mean I can't imagine paying over $130 for a handlebar and even that was a little difficult to swallow. A handle bar that weighs in at only 25g less than mine but costs $350. Seriously? Take your @$$ to the gym and workout. Stop drinking that Coke and eating that Big Mac. You will be better off and it will make much more of an improvment in your riding abiltiy, cardio and your general health. Not to mention the fact that you will still have an extra $200 in your pocket!

mtbr member
    I really like the way your Jabberwocky looks. I recently picked up a jabber frame from huck/roll and am slowly piecing the build together. Will be my first singlespeed and 29er.

What crank is that? Where can I get one? Shape looks like an older XT with powder coat

Low Rep Count
    The crank is an XTR M960. It has the outer ring tabs milled down and was ceramic coated. You can find them at ceramikoat.com. Crazy8 is a member here on the forum (he's the owner). I believe you can order the cranks directly from him or purchase your own and send it in. He can coat any material and any crank and there are several colors to choose from. Great guy, great product. There are quite a few folks on here with parts he has done. BTW, he has the 4th post on this thread if you want to contact him directly.

I really think you will be happy with your bike when it is built up. I tell ya, your first SS/29er will be much nicer than mine was. Good luck with the build.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    I should add that I still like parts but tend to gravitate towards ones that I'm pretty sure will hold up and have a price that I can stomache. I mean I can't imagine paying over $130 for a handlebar and even that was a little difficult to swallow. A handle bar that weighs in at only 25g less than mine but costs $350. Seriously? Take your @$$ to the gym and workout. Stop drinking that Coke and eating that Big Mac. You will be better off and it will make much more of an improvment in your riding abiltiy, cardio and your general health. Not to mention the fact that you will still have an extra $200 in your pocket!
    I think I was wrong about calling you a weight weenie. I apologize and retract my previous statement.

miwuksurfer
    1spd, welcome back from the edge of the weight weenie abyss!

Low Rep Count
    I wouldn't say you were wrong about it/me. I would certainly have a full blown WW bike if I could swing it. But that just isn't the case so I do what I can. It's all good.

So here are a few more pictures outside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back to steel-vas-2.jpg  

Back to steel-vas-5.jpg  

Back to steel-vas-6.jpg  

Back to steel-vas-4.jpg  

Back to steel-vas-3.jpg  

Last edited by 1SPD; 12-12-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Low Rep Count
    And one more for the road.

Yep the rear wheel is as close to slamed forward as I can get it. I have about .5cm on each side of the tire! Yep, i will be getting a new chain in the spring. Gonna make this one last as long as I can at this point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back to steel-vas-1.jpg  

Ovaries on the Outside
    Oh man are Avid CR noisy sons of *****es.

And I never said that you picked up bikes for curbs. I figured you pwned curbs.

mtbr member
    I kinda like the gold chain with all that black. Did you ever see a GT ZaskarX? Only made them in 2000 the same time the stealth aircraft became public knowledge. GT played on the matte black and carbon coloring called "Bad Ass Black" for the frame and Judy fork. All graphics were a dark silver gray that were hardly visible except in the sunlight.. A buddy got one and it really caught attention. At a glance it appeared to be a salvage bike that had been painted with a rattle can. They were unusual at the time of bright colors and shinny components.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Oh man are Avid CR noisy sons of *****es.

And I never said that you picked up bikes for curbs. I figured you pwned curbs.
    Definitely on the loud side but they haven't been too annoying yet. I will probably be swapping the pads out in the spring for some organics as I hear they are a little quieter. I haven't had too much squealing though.