Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yo!
    mtbr member

Is Austin, TX the SS Capital of the World?

I was in Austin this weekend for SXSW. Man, what a set of shows; It's my first SXSW since 2005, and not only did the thousands of bands blow my hair back, but the huge volumes of SS bikes all over the city.

I took a ride around White Rock Lake here in Dallas and counted 3 SSers including myself, and two of them were 29ers. I counted one guy on fixed gear.

In Austin, I guess you're not cool if you don't ride SS, because nearly every bike I saw was a bare bones fixie or SS. It was very cool; I love how every city has it's own cycling personality. If you get a chance to go to Austin, make sure bring your bike!

mtbr member
    yes we are. and yes SXSW was awesome.
    of course my opinion is the right one, thats why I have it.
    "there's my chippy"

mtbr member
    May 2007

never visited Flagstaff

Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    I was in Austin this weekend for SXSW. Man, what a set of shows; It's my first SXSW since 2005, and not only did the thousands of bands blow my hair back, but the huge volumes of SS bikes all over the city.

I took a ride around White Rock Lake here in Dallas and counted 3 SSers including myself, and two of them were 29ers. I counted one guy on fixed gear.

In Austin, I guess you're not cool if you don't ride SS, because nearly every bike I saw was a bare bones fixie or SS. It was very cool; I love how every city has it's own cycling personality. If you get a chance to go to Austin, make sure bring your bike!
    I guess you haven't hit Flagstaff yet.................

Yo!
    mtbr member
    I should have, I went to the U of A!

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    SS capital of the world??? I wouldn't care which ever city got that status if I was lucky enough to attend SXSW.

Me jealous.

skillz to pay billz
    the benefits of living in a flat area.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I'm confused, are you being facetious?.....Austin is a single speeder's dream/nightmare....it's Texas Hill Country

too late to die young now
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    I'm confused, are you being facetious?.....Austin is a single speeder's dream/nightmare....it's Texas Hill Country
    'hills' ain't 'mountains'

'nuff said =)
    \sigma_T\sigma_x \geq \tfrac{\hbar}{2m} \left|\left\langle p_x\right\rangle\right|.

mtbr member
    Make a trek up to chilly Minneapolis, you'd be blown away by the SS bike love even in the heart of winter. Never been to Austin but Uptown, Mpls is stock full of fixies.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Hahha fair enough. I'm sure (((N))) will chime in at some point....

V-Shaped Rut
    You might check out portland OR as well. Haven't been to austin but from what I've heard they are quite similar except for the weather and cowboys. Funky, artist type towns with huge bike culture and local music scene. Lots of fixie/SS in portland as well.

But seriously, the world? What about holland? What about china?

ha - I joke (a little) ...

a trip on the 'way back' machine - - - I remember racing Rocky Hill Ranch, Kerrville (further south) and Cameron Park (just north). I used to think this was climbing until I moved to the SCM (Santa Cruz Mountains). now i typically do 3500ft+ of climbing during a 15 mile day

it's all about perspective (and a 34x19 =)
    \sigma_T\sigma_x \geq \tfrac{\hbar}{2m} \left|\left\langle p_x\right\rangle\right|.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Hahha no way the world....but I guess since I'm in a city with a fledgling riding culture, getting to Austin had me shellshocked on the ss/fixie craze.

And Felton, sounds like you'd soundly whoop my ass on a ss climb.

blame me for missed rides
    ss capital? just look for the biggest hippie town.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    Nothing worse than flat ground on a singlespeed.

That's the only time I wish I had gears.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i live in austin and ride a ss on the trails, not the streets. it's true: lots of people ride fixed gears on the streets. it's a hipster thing i think. i might be wrong. who knows? as for the hills versus the mountains: obviously, there are no mountains here in austin, but the hills on the trails i ride are rocky and can be very tough on a single speed (my gearing is 32:17). it's not easy to maintain your momentum on these hills. that's the problem i often have anyway. it helps to have explosive power on these hills.

mtbr member
    i wish austin was not in my state.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    You might check out portland OR as well. Haven't been to austin but from what I've heard they are quite similar except for the weather and cowboys. Funky, artist type towns with huge bike culture and local music scene. Lots of fixie/SS in portland as well.

But seriously, the world? What about holland? What about china?

HTFU and Ride
    we have tons in the west MI area. pretty much any ride i go on i see at least one other SS, often a 29er
    Winter is coming.

V-Shaped Rut
    Rolling your eyes about portland or about other countries having more SS?

Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdirt223
    i wish austin was not in my state.
    Hey hey, another Dallasite. What don't you like about Austin?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    There are a lot in Austin. Well lots of fixed gear road bikes. Every bike I see? Out of every 10 bikes I see in Austin I bet 3 are fixed gears, 5 are Road bikes, and 2 are MTBs. Out of every 10 MTBs I see maybe 1-2 are SS.

It also depends where in the city you are. Around downtown there are a ton of fixies.

Go SOLAR...
    I've never really understood the SS craze...some of the folks around here have a serious "I'm the s**t attitude, because they ride a SS". If I want to ride a SS I just put my bike in the appropriate gear and don't shift. I guess it is nice for the simplicity of it.

V-Shaped Rut
    Not the same. Chainline issues, deraileur path, chain slack, temptation to shift, weight of all that junk, etc.... Half the geared riders you talk to about SS say the same thing, myself included before I switched.

Its nice exactly because of simplicity. Like your BMX bike when you were a kid. I think SS's are the ****. Anyone who thinks they're the **** BECAUSE they ride an SS was a douchebag before they took it up.

Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    I've never really understood the SS craze...some of the folks around here have a serious "I'm the s**t attitude, because they ride a SS". If I want to ride a SS I just put my bike in the appropriate gear and don't shift. I guess it is nice for the simplicity of it.

Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    ...I think SS's are the ****. Anyone who thinks they're the **** BECAUSE they ride an SS was a douchebag before they took it up.
    nicely put - right on!

and yes - the simplicity of riding a single geared bike cannot be duplicated by simply not shifting gears on a geared bike. the quiet factor for one - I ride up on so many more critters on the SS than on my FS ...
    (of course, living in Big Cat country, that may not be such a good thing =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast