Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: argument for SS

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    333

    argument for SS

    so i was road riding the other day when a thought occurred to me.
    modern cars max out on average at 90mph in standard conditions
    modern mountain bikes max out on average around 25mph in standard conditions

    modern car transmissions have 5-6 speeds
    modern mountain bike transmissions have 27 speeds

    so what doesnt add up?

    mountain bikes: why so many gear ratios for such a small range of speed?
    it seems to me if cars dont shift every time they reach the next mph why do we?

    if six gears on a car = 90mph than 27 gears on a bike = you better be faster than my SS!

    this argument may me weak.. and i know someone can shut it down pretty fast. but it was just a idea that came to me, and i thought others might enjoy pondering it.
    no chain no gain.

  2. #2
    Spooooon!
    Reputation: Hairllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    674
    Compare the power to weight ratios of cars to bikes and you should have your answer.

  3. #3
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091
    My argument is a little more simple. Singlespeed is like running; you naturally expend energy according to the terrain. When you run you do not expend the same energy and/or use the same leg speed on differing terrains. You have a default or comfortable pace on the flats, when you run down hill your pace tends to pick up and when you run up hill it tends to slow. The greatest gains made my man's physical prowess in in the field of running. The marathon runners of today are running 20% faster than they did in the 1920s, with the 2 hour limit probably being broken within the next 5 years. Hence singlespeed taps in to the natural way we were designed to increase strength. Hey, it works for me.
    Last edited by aka brad; 07-24-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

  4. #4
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    man even my 4cyl ranger can go over 90, nevermind my mustang

    cars also have a much broader power band. they can run from less than 1krpm to 6krpm on average, while we're usually limited to 10rpm to 200rpm (not acurate, but you get the idea.
    It's like a semi truck... they have tons of gears because they only make power over a very small rpm range.

  5. #5
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    My argument is a little more simple. Singlespeed is like running; you naturally expend energy according to the terrain. When you run you do not maintain expend the same energy and/or use the same leg speed on differing terrains. You have a default or comfortable pace on the flats, when you run down hill your pace tends to pick up and when you run up hill it tends to slow. The greatest gains made my man's physical prowess in in the field of running. The marathon runners of today are running 20% faster than they did in the 1920s, with the 2 hour limit probably being broken within the next 5 years. Hence singlespeed taps in to the natural way we were designed to increase strength. Hey, it works for me.
    dont you dare make logic of singlespeeding!

    What's next... logic of why i ride a pink bike?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    Cars utilize the speeds that they do because they can make their power over a varying RPM range. They use less fuel at lower RPMS (typically). Many dragsters/funny cars are direct drive. They do have a clutch that slips as they go down the quarter mile and by the end becomes fused from the heat. Two speeds are also common because of their predictability for bracket racing. Regular cars have to fulfill many roles, hence all the gears. Do you road race on your SS setup the same as for mountain biking? Hell no. I have three SS/Fixed bikes, three derailleur geared bikes, and one IGH (8spd Alfine). My geared bikes have gears for hauling stuff, riding through snow, riding places fast then off roading whereever. It's sorta an apples to oranges comparison from the usage standpoint.

  7. #7
    808+909 = Party Good Time
    Reputation: chumbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    What's next... logic of why i ride a pink bike?
    So you can brag about it

  8. #8
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    So you can brag about it
    that'd kinda be like bragging about driving a Dawoo Lamos.

  9. #9
    808+909 = Party Good Time
    Reputation: chumbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    that'd kinda be like bragging about driving a Dawoo Lamos.
    touche!

  10. #10
    =========
    Reputation: ~gomez~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,860

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    25
    Why the hell do you need to come up with an explanation for it? If you like riding without gears, do so. End of story.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,801
    Besides ignoring the difference in power vs rpm in humans and for motor vehicles, you're also making the incorrect assumption that bikes have 27 speeds. They actually have 9 speeds combined with 3 different ranges so that there is a lot of overlap between each set of 9 speeds (low-medium-high). A similar setup is found in 4x4 vehicles where you have a high and low range transfer case.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955
    huh? I just ride

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Besides ignoring the difference in power vs rpm in humans and for motor vehicles, you're also making the incorrect assumption that bikes have 27 speeds. They actually have 9 speeds combined with 3 different ranges so that there is a lot of overlap between each set of 9 speeds (low-medium-high). A similar setup is found in 4x4 vehicles where you have a high and low range transfer case.
    Good point. The small and large chainrings only effectively add 3 gear ratios each, basically giving you a total of 15 unique gear ratios

  15. #15
    E !
    E ! is offline
    .........................
    Reputation: E !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,094

    25mph in standard conditions

    "modern mountain bikes max out on average around 25mph in standard conditions"
    HUH?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    277
    Shifting gears is very distracting. The less distraction you have the more enjoyable the ride becomes.

  17. #17
    .
    Reputation: nomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,138
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    "modern mountain bikes max out on average around 25mph in standard conditions"
    HUH?
    i guess he means pedaling on the outer rings at a decent cadence on a flat surface??

    i've made my mountain bike go a heck of a lot faster than that on downhills...thats for sure.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeSS
    Shifting gears is very distracting. The less distraction you have the more enjoyable the ride becomes.
    I agree. I prefer stick shift in my car because driving a car by nature is typically boring, so I like shifting gears to have more to do.

    I prefer not shifting on my bike because, well, biking is fun to me and I like being able to crank up a hill not having to worry about a floppy derailleur going everywhere. I mean, I run a tensioner on my converted SS, but I prefer it 100 to 1 over dealing with derailleurs like my other geared bike I have. That poor bike hasn't seen anything outside of the garage since I converted the Diamondback!!

  19. #19
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    Solo contendre
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,687
    My car has one gear: "D"

    Less thinky/more bikey

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    333

    hahaha

    well this thread got me a few laughs.. i kinda figured you guys would shut me down pretty fast.

    3x9 only achieves 15 gear ratios? really? thats dumb.

    also i mentioned average mtn bikes top around 25 in standard conditions, i could give a truck about how fast you say you are. ride every trail in the world, figure out top speed on all of them then average. oh yeah and you'd have to have all riders do that and average all the results to get a true answer. thats if you gotta be an ass and question everything. not everyone is as fast as we are. we all take it much more serious than another 1/2 or more of all riders. and who cares if my numbers are wrong? it was just a silly thought i put out there for you wolves to tear up.

    also if your mustang is going more than 95mph I'm calling the cops you reckless murderer.



    hahaha proud of myself for funny thread, tech talk has bored me lately.
    no chain no gain.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    812
    tech talk? aw snap, are you in IT support too?

    About mph and cops - I once almost rear ended a cop @ 110 mph. I was 16, very stupid, back road, thought I was hot stuff, straightaway, midnight (past curfew)... gahh.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,647
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    3x9 only achieves 15 gear ratios? really? thats dumb.
    Well I did have to do a little rounding But to explain more, every gear ratio from the small and large chainrings has an equivalent from the middle ring that is within maybe 2 gear inches, except for the highest and lowest 3 on each end of the spectrum

    This page is fun and interesting for looking at gearing and being a bike nerd

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ernesto_from_Wisconsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,955
    what?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Well I did have to do a little rounding But to explain more, every gear ratio from the small and large chainrings has an equivalent from the middle ring that is within maybe 2 gear inches, except for the highest and lowest 3 on each end of the spectrum

    This page is fun and interesting for looking at gearing and being a bike nerd
    well i checked out that page and got 20... but who's counting?

    roasted: once again you prove to be a badass.
    no chain no gain.

  25. #25
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    well this thread got me a few laughs.. i kinda figured you guys would shut me down pretty fast.

    3x9 only achieves 15 gear ratios? really? thats dumb.

    also i mentioned average mtn bikes top around 25 in standard conditions, i could give a truck about how fast you say you are. ride every trail in the world, figure out top speed on all of them then average. oh yeah and you'd have to have all riders do that and average all the results to get a true answer. thats if you gotta be an ass and question everything. not everyone is as fast as we are. we all take it much more serious than another 1/2 or more of all riders. and who cares if my numbers are wrong? it was just a silly thought i put out there for you wolves to tear up.

    also if your mustang is going more than 95mph I'm calling the cops you reckless murderer.



    hahaha proud of myself for funny thread, tech talk has bored me lately.
    how's the whole "posted a thread and everyone proved my theory to be retarded so i'm gunna play it off like i was joking the whole time" thing working for ya?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •