mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Anyone using Black Sheep Ti Fork?

I am currently running a Fox 80 on my SS and considering going rigid. I have a steel IF fork on another one of my bikes and I am hoping the Ti would be a little more forgiving...somewhere in between the Fox and the IF.

Am I expecting to much? Will I notice a considerable difference from the steel fork?

Would realy appreciate some input before dropping $450.

Cheers
    -Chris

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ YetiMan
    I am currently running a Fox 80 on my SS and considering going rigid. I have a steel IF fork on another one of my bikes and I am hoping the Ti would be a little more forgiving...somewhere in between the Fox and the IF.

Am I expecting to much? Will I notice a considerable difference from the steel fork?

Would realy appreciate some input before dropping $450.

Cheers
    -Chris
    I've never used an IF rigid fork, but I have used a couple of Kellys, a Kona, a Waltworks, On-One, Tange, Kinesis, and a few others. One of my bikes has the Black Sheep now, and it is the best, but the Waltworks feels really good also. I could swing either way, but the BS matches my bike better
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

brg
    mtbr member

I'm riding a BS ti fork

got my BS around a month ago.

first i didn't like the rigid thing so much - but i was running 1.95 Epicwolfs w/ 45psi. (i'm 4'10" & weigh 105lbs). Now I'm running 2.3 tires with 30psi and it's GREAT. I set a PR on a descent of a local trail on Tuesday and my PR was on my full squishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    One of my bikes has the Black Sheep now, and it is the best, but the Waltworks feels really good also. I could swing either way, but the BS matches my bike better
    oh my! that's a nice bike. where did you get those grips and saddle??

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by brg
    oh my! that's a nice bike. where did you get those grips and saddle??
    You can get both of 'em from QBP.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

used to be uno-speedo....
    I have one and have only ridden it once so far!

The ti fork is a unique ride. I'm not sure if its down to the ti stem, ti handlebar AND the ti fork combination or just the ti fork....but its a pretty plush ride for a rigid fork. And thats with running a 2.1 tire at 40psi! I'm going to slap on a bigger volume tire and a little less psi and see how much more comfortable it can get?! I've ridden a steel Surly 1x1 fork and a Pace RC31 fork and both are not as comfortable as the BS fork. But those two forks were being run with a different combination of stem/handlbars so its not a direct, fair comparison. But initial impressions are, yes, a very nice ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I also have a BS Ti fork. The same as uno-speedo. I've been riding a Reba the last month. Rode the rigid for the first time today and I was pleasantly surpised. It's not plush like a suspension fork, but it was a lot better than I expected. It's also a nice feeling not to lose energy when climbing out of the saddle. It handled trail chatter very well. Flex was minimal, just enough to take the edge off. I rode Mormon trail ( very rocky terrain ) today and was pleased.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I'm very happy with my BS Ti Fork. I'm sure James can build you whatever type of fork you want - he's the master!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

It's unanimous.....sheep rule!

Spoke with James...great guy..but now more questons.

Are you guys riding the lighter or heavier guage fork? I am incline to go lighter for a bit more flex, but at almost 200 lbs not sure that is smart.

Also, thoughts on crown hieght. Seems like that may play as much a role in "shock absorbtion" as the thickness of the ti.

thoughts?

mtbr member
    Mine's the heavier gauge. Same size as the chain stays. I'm 185 and ride aggressively, so I wanted a slightly stouter fork. It weighs just under a pound and a half. It's plenty stiff but still takes alot of the edge off sharp hits. I ride lots of rocky, technical stuff, so that was a must. I didn't want too much flex because I like steering precision. This fork delivers both.
    Just tell James what you want and how it should ride, he'll make it the way it needs to be.
    BTW - James goes 190#. He can relate.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    I have one on the way for my SIR 9, I will post report when it arrives.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Does anyone fab a segmented Ti fork?? (not including that sibex nightmare)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT
    Does anyone fab a segmented Ti fork?? (not including that sibex nightmare)
    Blacksheep makes both unicrown and segmented versions. I believe they are the same price.

Mark

used to be uno-speedo....
    I'm riding the thinner guage fork. I think it weighed 692g without a cut steerer tube (10 inches). I weigh 170lbs and am not aggressive.

Members who have read this thread: 1