Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottms33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    206

    Anyone useing an AC freewheel ?

    i saw one of these at the lbs and they are going for 20 bucks on ebay, does any one know about them ?? are they any good ? they feel like a nice product, looks well built...


    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PekkaP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    39
    I got one on my commuter. Works pretty nice for such a low price product. Only thing to complain is that it's a bit loud. It makes that zirping geared bike noise...

  3. #3
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by scottms33
    i saw one of these at the lbs and they are going for 20 bucks on ebay, does any one know about them ?? are they any good ? they feel like a nice product, looks well built...


    scott
    I also run a 15T on my commuter and it works well, but it is noisy. I did have an issue mounting it on my surly hub. The back dust cover kept it from freewheeling. Mean todd @webcyclery told me to remove the cover, and I've had no more trouble. He also suggested putting a thin spacer to keep the cover from catching on the hub if I was concerned about durability issues with removing the dust cover.

  4. #4
    What Would Happen?
    Reputation: spuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    136
    This is different to an ACS right?

  5. #5
    Down South Yooper
    Reputation: Plum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,011

    Yep, they're different

    I've got one of these at home. I thought it would be nice to have the BB tool splines there when it was time to change. Too bad that they weren't usable due to the cones on the spot hub I was using. Had to dissassemble the hub to get the splines clear to use. Didn't notice it being any louder than the common AC Klaws one that's on there now, but there seems to be a lot of variation in noises from freewheels (unless it's an ENO).

    Plum

  6. #6
    hands up who wants to die
    Reputation: rpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,370
    I have a 16T AC on my townie. works nice & smooth. quieter than the ACS, but mine only has a couple hundred miles on it so far.
    Too bad AC can't manage to produce the larger tooth-count F/Ws.

    -r

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: scottms33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    206

    they do

    i think you have to call them direct and buy it, thats what nate said at the lbs...

    scott

  8. #8
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Reputation: Drevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    I've got one of these at home. I thought it would be nice to have the BB tool splines there when it was time to change. Too bad that they weren't usable due to the cones on the spot hub I was using. Had to dissassemble the hub to get the splines clear to use. Didn't notice it being any louder than the common AC Klaws one that's on there now, but there seems to be a lot of variation in noises from freewheels (unless it's an ENO).

    Plum
    Did you try using the FR-1? It has a longer splined section for back in the multi-speed freewheels heyday:
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/FR_1.shtml
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

  9. #9
    Down South Yooper
    Reputation: Plum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Did you try using the FR-1? It has a longer splined section for back in the multi-speed freewheels heyday:
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/FR_1.shtml
    The problem was that the BB tool would bottom out on the hub cone (or the outside of it rather) before fully engaging the splines on the freewheel. When I put it on, I noticed that the tool bottomed out before the freewheel was tight, but tightening those isn't the issue. Just had to pull the other side off, fish the axle out and then use the tool like normal. I'd like to get an ENO from what I've read, just don't feel like spending the money just yet...

    Plum

Similar Threads

  1. Giant AC 2
    By Elite454SS in forum Giant
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 01:46 PM
  2. Freewheel Help Needed
    By lanpope in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 06:32 PM
  3. hey white industries freewheel owners...
    By head in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 02:15 PM
  4. 6 speed freewheel replacement questions...
    By Schmoe in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 11:57 PM
  5. should I use my old freewheel hub?
    By jbmoocow in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 06:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •