Just A Mountain Biker.

Anyone try the Box Components BUZZ Freewheel?

Having a rear wheel built up for my 26" rigid SS project bike with a WI ENO Eccentric hub, and am now looking at freewheels. 18t is good for me, so of course I have been looking & reading about which are the best. Obviously WI is at the top of the list, but I just stumbled across the Box unit at 108 POE. I know they have a BMX background before MTB, so I am sure the durability is there, just wondering if anyone here has tried them for mountain biking? Price is comparable to WI, but this isn't really about price. What I really don't want to do is hang a $20 crap FW on such a nice hub.

Thanks!
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    I have not tried the Box freewheel. I have also not tried the Token freewheel which I also hear is a nice freewheel. I do have the WI Eno freewheel and I also have an eccentric and rims that I keep meaning to build into wheels. I guess I'm always up for looking at the alternatives, but I know the WI is awesome and re-buildable (bearings and parts) so I've been boring and not taken the risk of not being happy with another freewheel. I love the bee buzz coasting sound even more than my hope hub. If you try out the the Box Components Buzz freewheel, please post your musings.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

wanna ride bikes?
    I don't understand, you've not given a reason why the WI freewheel is not sufficient? Are you considering the BOX just for the little bit of extra engagement?

The WI freewheel is awesome. I've pounded on mine for a couple years now and it's been flawless. It looks great, sounds great, it's bomb proof, serviceable, and Made in the USA. I wouldn't trade all that for a lesser component and slightly better engagement.

I'm sure the BOX is decent, but I'm considering building new wheels just so I can keep using that WI freewheel, even though I prefer cassette style SS hubs.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I don't understand, you've not given a reason why the WI freewheel is not sufficient? Are you considering the BOX just for the little bit of extra engagement?
    Nothing to do with it not being sufficient, I was just asking if anyone had used it (here) based on the lack of reviews I have found for it. Still have found none, except for some BMX tidbits.

I ordered a Shimano FW to make sure the 17t is what I want before sinking $80 into a WI, as I am running 110BCD (Shimano 730, early 90's XT) cranks and the smallest front ring I can get is a 34t. If that works out, I'll spend the coin on the White. Picking up my wheels tomorrow or Saturday morning, and am pretty stoked to go to a true non-tensioner SS. Here's a pic if interested:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

wanna ride bikes?
    Cool, I dig it. Never question the decision to buy a WI freewheel. It's never the wrong choice.

FYI the Trials version (higher engagement) is only available in 18,20, or 22 tooth configurations so when dialing in your gear ratio, you should take that into consideration and make any necessary adjustments with your chainring size.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If you search on the trials forums, you'll get some additional input on this question which comes up. Trials riders really abuse their gear and there are some that have had issues with the White Industries skipping. The Bonz 135 seems to have a good reputation and more POE if that matters to you. I'm no expert, there are probably solid options out there, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Cool, I dig it. Never question the decision to buy a WI freewheel. It's never the wrong choice.

FYI the Trials version (higher engagement) is only available in 18,20, or 22 tooth configurations so when dialing in your gear ratio, you should take that into consideration and make any necessary adjustments with your chainring size.
    From what I remember, you can take the center of the trials FW and install the standard outer portion and retain the higher engagement.