os2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone running no rear brake off road?

I'm just building up a singlespeed mtb with disc mounts but no canti mounts. Since I'm thinking I'd like to go with a flip flop hub to have both fixed and freewheel options, that probably means i'd have no rear brake though. Nevertheless, with a disc on the front, i figure it should be OK, but thought I'd ask to hear anyone else's thoughts or experience. thanks everyone.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by os2
    I'm just building up a singlespeed mtb with disc mounts but no canti mounts. Since I'm thinking I'd like to go with a flip flop hub to have both fixed and freewheel options, that probably means i'd have no rear brake though. Nevertheless, with a disc on the front, i figure it should be OK, but thought I'd ask to hear anyone else's thoughts or experience. thanks everyone.
    sounds like a recipe for a broken collarbone to me but i happen to be a big fan of brakes and my opinion may be in the minority.

i guess if you feel confident that you can control and feather the front brake sufficiently so that you will not constantly find yourself flying OTB, and you are riding terrain that doesn't require killer braking power, then just a front brake would be fine.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

jl
    climb
    Only the fixed gear fanatics...
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    I've run fixie off road with no rear brake since I started a few years ago, no problems. You legs are one of the best anti-lock brakes around (until you throw the chain, that is...). I also run a disc up front.

I'd definitely use a rear brake on SS though.

Cheers,

Tom

hispanic mechanic

Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    I've run fixie off road with no rear brake since I started a few years ago, no problems. You legs are one of the best anti-lock brakes around (until you throw the chain, that is...)

I'd definitely use on rear brake on SS though.

Cheers,

Tom
    Only been riding fixed off road for a bit under a year, but front brake only works fine. Again, I wouldn't just use the front with a freewheel, though.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    sounds like a recipe for a broken collarbone to me but i happen to be a big fan of brakes and my opinion may be in the minority.
    rt
    Only an issue if you ride with a freewheel. If you ride fixed you will not need or want a rear brake. If you ride free, then you will want a rear brake.

(ff)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by os2
    I did, once. On a night ride my rear wheel loosened and on a climb it flew out of the drops and the frame plowed into the ground. Putting it all back together I was missing an Avid pad. Continuing the climb was no problem although my right hand grabbed air a few times. Coming down was at a decent speed was OK because I know the trail and the switchback riding would make IMBA smile, no rear wheel dragging. The one close call was when a riding partner pulled over for someone and I had to climb the berm. I can't recommend one brake riding, if the front brake failed then what?