808+909 = Party Good Time

Anyone lugging a child seat around on SS?

About to move it over to my SS, sell my geared bike and see no issues, just thought I'd see what others are doing.

mtbr member
    think about the poor buckaroo's neck.... when you are out of the saddle humping it up a hill, doodles is getting whipped side to side. this can cause serious damage, especially if they are asleep. I believe New York has a law against riding with sleeperDoodles in the bike seat.

Here we go again...

for the record she flippin loves the bike seat and I reduce all the swaying to a minimum not that she cares, she loves that too... and bumps... and hills... and gutters... and whatever else. Kids are tough, we're just all too freakin paranoid.

I've been riding the geared bike in one gear for 3 months so I have assessed all that part already. Was just wondering if anyone else was doing it. And as for citites having laws, often they are brought about by paranoia anyhow.

if we are going to have the same stupid moral debate that child seat threads always lead too then please close this thread cos it's up there with 'will carbon break?'... boring...

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Carrying a kid + singlespeed, isn't that like maSSochist X2?

I commend you for trying, man I'm a beginner and I'm dying trying to haul my fat butt up hills.

mtbr member
    The whole reason I got a SS was to tow a baby trailer.

Child seats on the bike: Not really a fan, more so because it screws up the center of gravity and isn't that practical.

Baby trailer: Independent linkage, doesn't affect the CoG, kid is wrapped in an Aluminum frame, I can pack it with toys, books and snacks and she's good in there for a couple of hours.

Gear the SS correctly and towing is easy.

Surprise benefit of getting the SS: It's also a blast to just take out and ride and my winter riding has increased exponentially from last year becasue post ride maintenance is so freaking simple and quick.

Dorkimus Prime
    Oh My God! Don't let poor babies head swing in the babyseat? This is exactly what is wrong with this world! Why didn't we see concussions prior to the eighties? Because kids used to play outdoors, used to be allowed to do things - including riding on the back of bikes - with no helmets! They became tolerant to blows to the head before they were ten. Todays overprotected kids have wipes if they touch another kid's toys, heaven help then if they swipe a drink from another munchkin's cup. We've created a society of weaklings; whose ability to care for themselves physically is forgotten.

We have dozens of Gazillionaire atheletes who are robbing insurance corporations because they've lost the desire to play hockey or football; blaming their lack of passion on getting their bell rung! Go work a real job where you work five days in a row, God forbid 6 or 7. Toughin' the feck up! Two NHL caliber 19 year olds have retired from hockey this past year? Poor babies, coach yelled at them and bad men body checked them. They'll go home and be molycoddled by their parents for another few years and then realize they pi$$ed away a once in a lifetime opportunity. Maybe these parents should send them out to the local metal stamping plant or fish plant to get a taste of what the "real world" is about.

I'm not denying that picking up a child and viciously shaking them is harmful, but riding a bike? What did you think he'd be falling of cliffs like Josh Bender?

My 7 year old was jumping off a ten foot pier into Lake Huron last summer and the second my 2 year old saw him I could tell he was going for it! I stopped him and explained to him the consequences - then he jumped! I could tell other parents around wanted to call the Children's Aid Society on me(maybe NY has a law against that too) because I let my son make a decision and deal with the consequences. Sure, the 2 year old screamed bloody murder but once I fished him out and he settled down he told the crowd that gathered that the "water was cold" to great applause.

Dorkimus Prime
    Driver Bob, both my boys spent many, many hours in the rear baby seats. There really is a great connection between you and the kid. Each of mine would boot me in the butt and find it truly facinating when I jumped. We could drive around for hours looking for police cars or ambulances. Can you even hear a child when they are in a trailer?

I'm looking for a trailer now because the three year old is too big for the seat, but with kids 12 months to 36, I dig the seats.

mtbr member
    I pull my two kids in a trailer on my fixie. We both love it. They have a blast and I get a workout.

How in the world did we ever grow up to adulthood? I rode my bmx bike all day with no cell phone to check in, I played with yard darts and bb guns, I rarely washed my hands, and there was no timeout, only spankings. Grow up and toughen up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    Can you even hear a child when they are in a trailer?
    Oh yeah, the girls got some lungs on her at 18 months old

Nice thing is she's far enough away that I can choose to ignore her if I want to, as in "we are 2 miles form home and I don't care how loud you scream, we are not walking!!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a bobike front mount child seat on my ss. No problems at all.

mtbr member
    Biggie
    I think your right, our nation has turned into a bunch of Pansies. when it comes to our children. Being way to over protective and not allowing them to be just kids. As a kid I alwas came home with cuts, scrapes or bruises of some sort. Heck we played out side now it seems like all the kids are attached to some sort of electronic game. And dont get me going on the Germ-a-phob part. I remember as a kid going to the gas station to get a soda with my friends, and gasp we all drank form the same bottle/cup. Sh^& now a days parent's flip out over that. Most parents do need to lighten up and just remember that they lived thru there child hood just fine and so will there children " just fine ".

But what i wanted to really say is......
    I used a seat or trailer for all 4 of my kids. And all but one loved it. And the one that didnt well, we found out she had an inner ear disorder, and would freak out when ever she got moving. But that is not an issue any more with her.

Last summer when my youngest boy was out riding his bike he crashed hard into the curb and flipped over the bars into the dirt. All the neighbors cam running out too him and before they reached him he just jumped up laughted out loud and sayed " Oopp's I wrecked" got back on his bike and was gone. When he rode off I just stood there and laughed my a$$ off. And the neoghbers just looked at us like we where crazy.

You know, for kids
    We sold this a while back...
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Albacore
    ....How in the world did we ever grow up to adulthood? I rode my bmx bike all day with no cell phone to check in, I played with yard darts and bb guns, I rarely washed my hands, and there was no timeout, only spankings. Grow up and toughen up.
    HAHAHAHA!.......so true.....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It works perfectly ok. We use my wife's commuter SS bike for transportation with a child seat. It is an Scott Sawtooth -92 updated with v-brakes and dingle speed 34 - 11/18, 90% of the time we run it with the 11T cog. Pretty soon you will get good at standing up pushing hard without moving the bike to much sidewise

The only pic I have of the bike is the dingle speed set up which works very good by just using the gear adjuster screw to change cog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

V-Shaped Rut
    When I was your age......

I used to walk to school in -40 degree weather, uphill, both ways. In a t-shirt. Unless I could kill one of the wolves that was attacking me and use its pelt and still warm intestines. Did I ***** and moan? No! I loved getting outside and playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    Oh My God! Don't let poor babies head swing in the babyseat? This is exactly what is wrong with this world! Why didn't we see concussions prior to the eighties? Because kids used to play outdoors, used to be allowed to do things - including riding on the back of bikes - with no helmets! They became tolerant to blows to the head before they were ten. Todays overprotected kids have wipes if they touch another kid's toys, heaven help then if they swipe a drink from another munchkin's cup. We've created a society of weaklings; whose ability to care for themselves physically is forgotten.

We have dozens of Gazillionaire atheletes who are robbing insurance corporations because they've lost the desire to play hockey or football; blaming their lack of passion on getting their bell rung! Go work a real job where you work five days in a row, God forbid 6 or 7. Toughin' the feck up! Two NHL caliber 19 year olds have retired from hockey this past year? Poor babies, coach yelled at them and bad men body checked them. They'll go home and be molycoddled by their parents for another few years and then realize they pi$$ed away a once in a lifetime opportunity. Maybe these parents should send them out to the local metal stamping plant or fish plant to get a taste of what the "real world" is about.

I'm not denying that picking up a child and viciously shaking them is harmful, but riding a bike? What did you think he'd be falling of cliffs like Josh Bender?

My 7 year old was jumping off a ten foot pier into Lake Huron last summer and the second my 2 year old saw him I could tell he was going for it! I stopped him and explained to him the consequences - then he jumped! I could tell other parents around wanted to call the Children's Aid Society on me(maybe NY has a law against that too) because I let my son make a decision and deal with the consequences. Sure, the 2 year old screamed bloody murder but once I fished him out and he settled down he told the crowd that gathered that the "water was cold" to great applause.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Just wait until your child graduates to a tag-a-long. then the fun really starts.
    My first two would just sit back there, sometimes pedaling, sometimes not, sometimes pedaling backwards...but my youngest is like a super turbo. I'll be riding down a fireroad w/ him, see a singletrack, ask "Quinny, should we take the bumpy trail?" He'll giggly and say yes. I'll think he's getting banged around too much, but he's always up for more.

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    "Quinny, should we take the bumpy trail?"
    My Little Quinn actually prefers Quinner. Quinny is nice too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Love this topic. I have a 8 month old and only ride a SS. I am waiting a few more months to set her in the back strap a helmet on her and take her on some good fire road climbs. No I will not be bombing the down hill just slow and easy. I have been wating for a long time to experience this time with her.

Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedrider
    Love this topic. I have a 8 month old and only ride a SS. I am waiting a few more months to set her in the back strap a helmet on her and take her on some good fire road climbs. No I will not be bombing the down hill just slow and easy. I have been wating for a long time to experience this time with her.
    I was waiting from about the same age of my child to do this too. As much as it doesn't sounds like a present for me all my friends and fam bought me a child seat for MY birthday... best gift ever.

I'm only talking slow and easy too... I know people bikepack SS all the time so I figured seat will be fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've towed a 'tag-along' behind my ss (26er with 32:18). It's fine, but granted I was riding in a nice flowing forest with short ups and downs.

I don't like the rear seats that put the child right up against the riders back. I see kids on the back here , and their noses are 1 inch behind the riders back (sometimes the rider wears a back pack too).

A friend has a cool childs seat that attaches to the top tube and down tube, with two feet rests too. The child can sit on the seat and hold onto the bars, and have a place for their feet too.

The only one of these methods that I'd use offroad is the tag-along (which is basically a childs bike without the front wheel which attaches to the back of the ss). The child can pedal or freewheel along. I've use it with my cousins children who must have been about nearly 4 - a little over 5. Now they insist on riding their own bikes (which are single speeds too), and get tired much sooner and get grumpy ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    C'mon!...I used to take my toddler on my 40lb balloon tired Schwinn cruiser on a 22 mile loop nearly every day, 30 years ago. Neither one of us had helmets. Shoulda....it didn't occur to anyone back then. He'd nod off, halfway thru the ride, start leaning this way and that (he was strapped in). Made the ride more interesting. Guess we were lucky nobody ever hit us, but you don't think about those things when you're 24.