Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

Was looking at this bike for $350 doesn't seem too bad, what do you guys think? I'm cross-shopping this and the Dawes BullsEye 29er.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-g29_orange_2100.jpg  

Apr 2007
    Redline Monocog from your LBS. Or GT Peace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

On the way!

We'll find out soon enough -- I just placed an order for a 21" orange. This is my first bike purchase since about 1990 (when I was 15 years old). I still ride that Raleigh Hybrid (Eclipse CX) but it was definitely time for something new. Clearly I'm a noob, so I won't be able to give you any qualified comparisons, but I'll try to take several pics and post my experiences.

I decided on the g29 over the Dawes for a few of reasons:
    • I'll be using the bike for mostly paved surfaces, with maybe some light offroad. I don't need the strength or flexibility of steel. I'd rather have the lightness of aluminum. (I'll weigh the fully built bike for comparisons)
    • I have a huge hard-on for disc brakes (well, maybe not -huge-, but... you know...). I know that they're very entry level models, but I don't care. I admit that it's more about cosmetics & the cool factor than the performance.
    • They had it in that bright-ass orange in my size. I was going to be stuck with black if I got the Deadeye, which isn't really my thing.
    • There aren't any other reports of the SS G29er here yet. I'm hoping to be able to be one of the first to try it out.

I'll post more in a few days when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

17.5" - Orange - on the way

Yep, it's got the specs I wanted.

Converting to urban warrior.

Will change out front chainring for 46 tooth for better gearing.

Swap out tires for some urban slick fatties (like schwalbe or equiv).

Pumped.

Price is right.

PS The difference I see on disc brake quality is that the cheap ones just have one pad pinch in, this means the disc "bends" a bit during stopping and inevitably squeals a bit. I also have Avid BB7s and both pads pinch in equally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Got my new G29 today!

Disclaimer: This was my first bike in a very, very long time so I can't really compare it to anything else on the market.

The box was delivered today (Thursday) after ordering it on the previous Saturday. Not bad. The packaging was still in good condition, and the bike shows no damage from shipping.

Setup went pretty smooth. I did have to fiddle for a while with the brakes to get them to stop dragging on the discs. This was my first experience with discs, and the supplied instructions helped me get them dialed in. Also, the chain was set very tight. There was no give at all. Zero. I messed with the axle adjuster thingies for a bit, but couldn't figure out how to get them to work. I just took 'em off and reset the wheel a little bit forward.

Speaking of the adjusters (sorry, can't remember the proper name of those things), I'm not sure if this is normal, but the adjustment bolts were set at an angle. I'll post a picture once I get to 5 posts.

My first ride went great! This is my first 29er and my first single speed since I had a BMX bike as a child, so I had no idea what to expect. I really, really enjoyed it. The ride was smooth and quiet. It tracked straight and stopped quickly (only a little bit of noise from the brakes). It was geared lower than I expected it would be -- climbing most hills shouldn't be too much of a problem. I could see changing the rear sprocket if you were keep it on pavement most of the time.

I went with the largest frame, the 21" model in BRIGHT orange. I'm 6' 4" with a 24" inseam and it fits me PERFECT. Really, spot on.

Complaints? Well, the grips are a bit small for my man-hands. That's about it. Granted, I only have 2 miles on the bike so far!

If you have any specific questions, post 'em here and I'll answer the best I can.

Gotta pay to play
    Grats on the bike! I really love orange and I bet it rides awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Congrats on the new bike. I have been thinking about one of these for my entry into SS. I already have one of the Gravity front suspension bikes and really enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    "Chaintugs". That what those things are called. I knew I'd remember eventually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Any idea what your 21" weighs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not yet. I'll try to get out there with the ol' bathroom scale today. UPS stated the shipping weight as 30lbs, but I have a feeling that's a pretty rough number.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That is the same shipping weight as my Gravity 29Point1, which on my bathroom scale is less than 30 lbs, and that's ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Got out for about an hour ride today. Rode on pavement for a while to make sure that everything was safe and ready to go. Nothing rattled, nothing fell off.

I found some really, really cool areas to ride less than a mile from my house. I had no idea that they existed, as it's the opposite way that I usually travel. Double-track trails through meadows, abandoned gravel pits, creepy lost old cemetery... interesting stuff.

I'd post a picture, but I still need more posts under my belt.

Anyway. The bike performed awesomely! I was worried that the aluminum frame would be punishing, and that wasn't the case at all. It was stiff, but very tolerable. I'm new to 29ers -- these things are like billy goats! It rolled over everything. The gears were great for trail riding and climbing. I never wished I could change to a different sprocket. The brakes performed flawlessly and noise-free. The tires were great, too. No issues.

I'm a very happy guy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Any idea what your 21" weighs?
    According to the bathroom scale, it just about exactly 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Dr. Lily View Post
    According to the bathroom scale, it just about exactly 30 lbs.
    Thanks, seems heavy when my suspended, geared version didn't weigh that much. Going to have to re-weighwhen I get home from work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well with water bottle/cage, bag on back with spare tube/tools and cages on the pedals, it weighed in at around 34lbs on my crappy bathroom scale, so maybe that 30 lbs is spot on? Steel fork vs suspension fork, plus the gears and the pound or 2 of extra stuff on the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Dr. Lily View Post
    I'm 6' 4" with a 24" inseam and it fits me PERFECT. Really, spot on.
    What are you? A DC comics cartoon?

Just kidding, I know it's a typo. Congrats on the new ride.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    He's Mr. Incredible duh

Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    LOL. I'd look like Hank Hill's dad with a 24" inseam. Let's make that 34".

Tonight was the firs time that I wish I had a lower gear. But instead of whining, I just stood up and pedaled like a man and got up the hill.

mtbr member
    Wrong - BB7s only have one moving pad; the other is stationary. They work the same..bending the rotor slightly to contact the inboard pad.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'll look more closely, with glasses on this time :-).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just checking in (and possibly trying to pad my post count so I can finally get some pictures up here).

Still loving the bike. Been out about 6 times in the last week for short rides, and the bike has performed very, very well. No problems -- nothing has loosened up, nothing is broken, and nothing is making any funny sounds.

I was thinking about how I dig the tires. Not too noisy or floaty on the pavement, but seem to have good bite in the dirt. I haven't been doing any crazy riding, but on my causal stuff they've held up well.

Yeah, the bike came in at a hair under 30 lbs. on the bathroom scale. Keep in mind that it's the 21" frame, so it's going to weigh a bit more. For grins and giggles I weighed my other bikes too -- my 1990 Raleigh Eclipse CX (Hybrid) came in at about 35 lbs. My wife's 10 year-old Wal-Mart special with front shocks came in at a staggering 42 lbs! No wonder that thing was so hard to keep moving.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the update. I am still thinking about getting one of these when I get back from my business trip next weekend. I really like the fit and ride of my other Gravity bike, so I imagine it would be a safe bet that this model would be a good fit as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey, look at that. I finally have 10 posts. Picture time!

In the wild:

Hanging in the garage. Remind me to tell you about my free homemade, portable bike stand:

Chaintugs. Should I be worried about the angle, or is this normal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looking good! I am guessing you carry everything on your back? What does the other side look like?

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast