Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?

Was looking at this bike for $350 doesn't seem too bad, what do you guys think? I'm cross-shopping this and the Dawes BullsEye 29er.

I'm open to other suggestions as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-g29_orange_2100.jpg  

Apr 2007
    Redline Monocog from your LBS. Or GT Peace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

On the way!

We'll find out soon enough -- I just placed an order for a 21" orange. This is my first bike purchase since about 1990 (when I was 15 years old). I still ride that Raleigh Hybrid (Eclipse CX) but it was definitely time for something new. Clearly I'm a noob, so I won't be able to give you any qualified comparisons, but I'll try to take several pics and post my experiences.

I decided on the g29 over the Dawes for a few of reasons:
    • I'll be using the bike for mostly paved surfaces, with maybe some light offroad. I don't need the strength or flexibility of steel. I'd rather have the lightness of aluminum. (I'll weigh the fully built bike for comparisons)
    • I have a huge hard-on for disc brakes (well, maybe not -huge-, but... you know...). I know that they're very entry level models, but I don't care. I admit that it's more about cosmetics & the cool factor than the performance.
    • They had it in that bright-ass orange in my size. I was going to be stuck with black if I got the Deadeye, which isn't really my thing.
    • There aren't any other reports of the SS G29er here yet. I'm hoping to be able to be one of the first to try it out.

I'll post more in a few days when it arrives.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

17.5" - Orange - on the way

Yep, it's got the specs I wanted.

Converting to urban warrior.

Will change out front chainring for 46 tooth for better gearing.

Swap out tires for some urban slick fatties (like schwalbe or equiv).

Pumped.

Price is right.

PS The difference I see on disc brake quality is that the cheap ones just have one pad pinch in, this means the disc "bends" a bit during stopping and inevitably squeals a bit. I also have Avid BB7s and both pads pinch in equally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Got my new G29 today!

Disclaimer: This was my first bike in a very, very long time so I can't really compare it to anything else on the market.

The box was delivered today (Thursday) after ordering it on the previous Saturday. Not bad. The packaging was still in good condition, and the bike shows no damage from shipping.

Setup went pretty smooth. I did have to fiddle for a while with the brakes to get them to stop dragging on the discs. This was my first experience with discs, and the supplied instructions helped me get them dialed in. Also, the chain was set very tight. There was no give at all. Zero. I messed with the axle adjuster thingies for a bit, but couldn't figure out how to get them to work. I just took 'em off and reset the wheel a little bit forward.

Speaking of the adjusters (sorry, can't remember the proper name of those things), I'm not sure if this is normal, but the adjustment bolts were set at an angle. I'll post a picture once I get to 5 posts.

My first ride went great! This is my first 29er and my first single speed since I had a BMX bike as a child, so I had no idea what to expect. I really, really enjoyed it. The ride was smooth and quiet. It tracked straight and stopped quickly (only a little bit of noise from the brakes). It was geared lower than I expected it would be -- climbing most hills shouldn't be too much of a problem. I could see changing the rear sprocket if you were keep it on pavement most of the time.

I went with the largest frame, the 21" model in BRIGHT orange. I'm 6' 4" with a 24" inseam and it fits me PERFECT. Really, spot on.

Complaints? Well, the grips are a bit small for my man-hands. That's about it. Granted, I only have 2 miles on the bike so far!

If you have any specific questions, post 'em here and I'll answer the best I can.

Gotta pay to play
    Grats on the bike! I really love orange and I bet it rides awesome.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike. I have been thinking about one of these for my entry into SS. I already have one of the Gravity front suspension bikes and really enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    "Chaintugs". That what those things are called. I knew I'd remember eventually.

mtbr member
    Any idea what your 21" weighs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not yet. I'll try to get out there with the ol' bathroom scale today. UPS stated the shipping weight as 30lbs, but I have a feeling that's a pretty rough number.

mtbr member
    That is the same shipping weight as my Gravity 29Point1, which on my bathroom scale is less than 30 lbs, and that's ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Got out for about an hour ride today. Rode on pavement for a while to make sure that everything was safe and ready to go. Nothing rattled, nothing fell off.

I found some really, really cool areas to ride less than a mile from my house. I had no idea that they existed, as it's the opposite way that I usually travel. Double-track trails through meadows, abandoned gravel pits, creepy lost old cemetery... interesting stuff.

I'd post a picture, but I still need more posts under my belt.

Anyway. The bike performed awesomely! I was worried that the aluminum frame would be punishing, and that wasn't the case at all. It was stiff, but very tolerable. I'm new to 29ers -- these things are like billy goats! It rolled over everything. The gears were great for trail riding and climbing. I never wished I could change to a different sprocket. The brakes performed flawlessly and noise-free. The tires were great, too. No issues.

I'm a very happy guy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Any idea what your 21" weighs?
    According to the bathroom scale, it just about exactly 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Dr. Lily View Post
    According to the bathroom scale, it just about exactly 30 lbs.
    Thanks, seems heavy when my suspended, geared version didn't weigh that much. Going to have to re-weighwhen I get home from work.

mtbr member
    Well with water bottle/cage, bag on back with spare tube/tools and cages on the pedals, it weighed in at around 34lbs on my crappy bathroom scale, so maybe that 30 lbs is spot on? Steel fork vs suspension fork, plus the gears and the pound or 2 of extra stuff on the bike?

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 4" with a 24" inseam and it fits me PERFECT. Really, spot on.
    What are you? A DC comics cartoon?

Just kidding, I know it's a typo. Congrats on the new ride.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    He's Mr. Incredible duh

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    LOL. I'd look like Hank Hill's dad with a 24" inseam. Let's make that 34".

Tonight was the firs time that I wish I had a lower gear. But instead of whining, I just stood up and pedaled like a man and got up the hill.

I like turtles
    Wrong - BB7s only have one moving pad; the other is stationary. They work the same..bending the rotor slightly to contact the inboard pad.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'll look more closely, with glasses on this time :-).

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just checking in (and possibly trying to pad my post count so I can finally get some pictures up here).

Still loving the bike. Been out about 6 times in the last week for short rides, and the bike has performed very, very well. No problems -- nothing has loosened up, nothing is broken, and nothing is making any funny sounds.

I was thinking about how I dig the tires. Not too noisy or floaty on the pavement, but seem to have good bite in the dirt. I haven't been doing any crazy riding, but on my causal stuff they've held up well.

Yeah, the bike came in at a hair under 30 lbs. on the bathroom scale. Keep in mind that it's the 21" frame, so it's going to weigh a bit more. For grins and giggles I weighed my other bikes too -- my 1990 Raleigh Eclipse CX (Hybrid) came in at about 35 lbs. My wife's 10 year-old Wal-Mart special with front shocks came in at a staggering 42 lbs! No wonder that thing was so hard to keep moving.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I am still thinking about getting one of these when I get back from my business trip next weekend. I really like the fit and ride of my other Gravity bike, so I imagine it would be a safe bet that this model would be a good fit as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey, look at that. I finally have 10 posts. Picture time!

In the wild:

Hanging in the garage. Remind me to tell you about my free homemade, portable bike stand:

Chaintugs. Should I be worried about the angle, or is this normal?

mtbr member
    Looking good! I am guessing you carry everything on your back? What does the other side look like?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What do I need to carry? I added a water bottle cage, so I just go out with a single bottle and my phone in my pocket. I don't go too far that I can't walk back home.

I have been thinking about adding a small seat post bag for a multi-tool.

Oh, and one of those sweet-ass flask holders from Surly is on my Xmas list.

mtbr member
    Until I looked again I didn't see the bottle cage and I was thinking tools, spare tube etc. Going to have search for the flask deal, don't know what you are talking about.

mtbr member
    Took the plunge, ordered an orange 21"this morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Awesome! Let me know what you think.

Here' the flask & holder: Surly Bike Flask & Spaceman Cage | Cool Material

mtbr member
    Looks cool! Cro-mo or aluminum?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Aluminum with cro-mo fork.

mtbr member
    I will and that flask is awesome, I should order one and throw some irish whiskey in it, then throw my Trek coffee cup that fits in a bottle cage in the other for a nice cold weather drink!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im either gonna buy this or the dead eye. im jus curious if the frame would hold up to moderate offroading.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I can't compare the two, but the G29 seems to be very solid. I'm guessing that you'd have to take some pretty dramatic drops to do any real damage. *shrug* I'm 250 lbs, and I've been pretty hard on it. So far everything has held up well, but I haven't done any downhill stuff on it yet -- just trail riding.

That said, it's an entry-level rigid hard-tail. It'll break eventually. I'd assume that it's just as strong as the Deadeye, but the DE is probably a little less punishing. Then again, the DE's frame is pretty thick/stout, so I can't imagine that it flexes too much.

I went with the Gravity because it was aluminum (couple of pounds lighter), has disc brakes (not sure if they're any better), has a quick-release seat post, and it came in orange.

I think you'd be happy with either bike.

mtbr member
    For what it is worth, I have the geared Gravity 29Point1. It has the same geometry and, I suspect, same build quality. It has held up to more than just light trails, I have bombed down some pretty intense, rocky hills and other crap with no issues. Friday I will have my SS and will compare them as best I can plus take it out on it's maiden ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cool, thanks for the info guys. Ill prolly be getting mine in a week or so then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ok so i decided to check out gravity's website and noticed that the g29 isnt on the site? and they have no phone number in their contact info, only an email link and ive tried to email them a few times and it keeps saying the link is invalid. whats the dealio?? im not comfortable with buying a bike from a company that has no customer service.

mtbr member
    Did you go to bikesdirect? That's where you need to go. Here is the link, they have the bikes in stock, Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah thats where i originally found the bike. i jus went to gravitys site to see warranty info and ask questions about the bike, but i was gonna buy from bikesdirect. i just sent an email to bikes direct with the questions tho.

I like turtles
    Gravity isn't really a bicycle company like you normally think of (like Trek), its just a name that the fellow who owns Bikesdirect.com, Bikeisland.com, and Cycle Spectrum bicycle shops uses for what amounts to his house-brand bikes. Motobecane, Windsor, and Dawes are others he owns. These are no different that Performance's house brand, Access or REI's house brand, Novara. It is however a bit deceptive that he has separate web sites for each of these brands and is really done (all in my opinion of course!) to give the consumer the feeling that they are buying a bike from a "brick and mortar" bicycle company like Trek etc. Nothing wrong with these bikes, this one in particular looks like a killer deal!
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok thanks for the clarification.

mtbr member

Tire spacing

I was eyeballing the G29 as a commuter. I want to use something a little fatter like Schwable Big Apple 2.35. Is there enough clearance from what you can see? That would seal the deal on this bike for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbeechan View Post
    I was eyeballing the G29 as a commuter. I want to use something a little fatter like Schwable Big Apple 2.35. Is there enough clearance from what you can see? That would seal the deal on this bike for me.
    I will look tomorrow when I get home from my business trip, bike should be delivered tomorrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbeechan View Post
    AWESOME... glad I came across this... I was also just wondering about how wide of tires this could fit... I need a cheap snow bike

I would also very, very much appreciate it if you could measure the fork and the seat stay area between the tires... pleeeeaaasseee?????

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Fork: approx 3 3/8"
    Seat stay: 3"+, rear wheel was already mounted, too lazy to take it off.
    Chain stay: approx 3", once again, don't want to unbolt the wheel

Just an added note, my seat post is short, almost too short. The one on my 29Point1 is about 4" longer, just an excuse to get a carbon fiber seat post, already replaced the handle bar with a little wider carbon fiber one.
    Last edited by smithe68; 09-30-2011 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Wrong - BB7s only have one moving pad; the other is stationary. They work the same..bending the rotor slightly to contact the inboard pad.
    Checked. They do move independently.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got it! Love it! Changed rear cog to 13 so now its a great commuter. Soon upgrading to schwables. Something big fat and puncture proof.

Rear chain tugs blow. Anyone have replacement tug recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    Fork: approx 3 3/8"
    Seat stay: 3"+, rear wheel was already mounted, too lazy to take it off.
    Chain stay: approx 3", once again, don't want to unbolt the wheel
    Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Thanks so much!
    Glad I could help. Maiden voyage this afternoon after drill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I went with the Gravity because it was aluminum (couple of pounds lighter), has disc brakes (not sure if they're any better), has a quick-release seat post, and it came in orange.

Any update on how or what you like/dislike about the bike. I would like to purchase one as a commuter in the winter and a trail rider in the summer.

Thanks for your posts,

NPB

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hey, NPB. Sure, I can give an update.

I've been on a few rides now. Nothing terribly gnarly, since I'm still a noob. I mostly ride on 4-wheeler or horse riding trails around here... no big drops, no huge obstacles. Lots of rough terrain, varying soil conditions, roots, etc.

The bike has been performing VERY well. Not a single thing has gone wrong yet -- nothing broken, nothing failed, nothing loosened up.

The bike is certainly stiff. I've learned to loosen up my grip a lot. Yesterday I was rolling over a trail with tons of golf ball and baseball sized rocks and was getting a beatin', until I remembered to relax a bit.

Riding position is good. I find the saddle to be -very- comfortable. Bars are nicely positioned. Grips are workable, but nothing to write home about. Pedals are metal and... um... toothy. Seem fine to me. Tires aren't too knobby for pavement, and have been working great in the dirt. I dig in a bit in sand, but I'm 250 lbs so I can't really blame the bike for that. It's geared perfectly for trail riding (for me), but is under-geared for riding briskly on the street.For commuting duty I'd put on a different rear cog.

Complaints? Sure. A few.

- The brakes aren't great. I'm glad I don't use the bike for downhill.
    - Speaking of brakes, one rotor is already a bit warped.
    - Having a little trouble getting the seat-post to stop sliding down (again, I'm 250 lbs so it takes a beating).
    - At 30 pounds, it's no featherweight.

That's it.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and would do it again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ordered a 21" in white last Sunday, got it on Tuesday. Set up is a breeze, the brakes come adjusted by an idiot, but, super easy to dial in. Took today off of work so I could take it for a spin at my local trail.... Wow, I love it! Did about 16 miles of rooty semi-technical trail and the bike was a dream. If you come from a suspension background, it will take some getting used to having a fork with no give. The brakes are entry level but do a fine job. The gearing is perfect for my trail system. For $350 you can't go wrong. It's a great intro to rigid SS bikes. I figure I'll do some upgrades to it and plan on building another SS next summer.

Upgrades in the works, new stem, carbon flat bars, niner carbon fork in Kermit green, for sure I gotta get the surly flask cage, lime green spacers. It seems that the SS is the hipster fixie bike of the mtb community!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    It seems that the SS is the hipster fixie bike of the mtb community!
    Don't insult those of us that ride Fixed MTB in the dirt.

Post Your Fixed Gear MTB
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    I have been on a couple rides, my assessment is a little off because I have a stress fracture in my right foot. The bike handles everything I have thrown at it, steep downhills, single track, technical and rocky trails, no issues with braking. I really have to get used to riding with no suspension though, a couple of times I am lucky I didn't bite my tongue off! Near the end of my second ride I had loosened my death grip up and things smoothed out some. For me, I would seriously consider adding suspension. I did add some carbon fiber bars to the bike, heard some popping sounds from them, they are coming off so I can make a good inspection of them before I ride again, besides my foot needs healing up anyways.

It will be a couple weeks before I can really ride again, on the tail end of my foot healing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Can't wait I think I'm getting ready to order a 17.5 in white! Just waiting to here from bikesdirect if they think that size would be good for me (I'm 5'9") I have not had a SS, or a 29er before but have been itching for one.

I almost was going to build a flatbar SS road bike until I found the Gravity 29er SS.
    I live in Florida so we do not have much in the way of Mountain biking around here, so this will see more urban riding than trails, but we do have some single track and I like to camp so it'll be nice to have a bike that will be more versatile to ride than building the SS road setup, plus I'm not really all that hipster anyways lol.

As far as setup it sounds like it's pretty straightforward? I am comfortable with basic bike maintenance, but do not have my bike specific tool kit, hoping I won't need it to assemble this.

Also did any of you come across the wheels needing to be trued? It mentions it on their website so I was not sure, I'm hoping they won't as the $350 is about $50 more than my budget I had planned on spending.

mtbr member
    Danraley41, I have put together 3 Gravity bikes in the past couple months, 2 geared and 1 SS and putting them together was quite simple with basic tools. The SS was the 3rd one I did and simpler for many reasons, less cables, no shifters or anything to adjust besides the brakes. None of them needed the wheels to be trued.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks that what I was thinking, 3 huh? Must like them! I was just on the bikesdirect site looking and thinking to myself if I like this one that I could see one of their SS road bikes being added to my stable in a few months possibly.

I have had serious $2500 plus all carbon bikes in the past when I rode tons of miles and put a lot of time in on them, but anymore I just get to go out and play for fun and I have zero issues owning a bargain brand bike as long as the quality is good, I don't care what the sitckers say, in fact I'd rather have as plain low profile looking bike as possible and the stickers will prob be coming off anyways.

What I want now is simple and reliable, that's what draws me to the SS's, I live by less is better now and find myself much more happy.....But if I did win the lottery some day I could see a Spot Rocker SS being my ride lol :-)

mtbr member
    Yeah 3, geared and SS for me, the other geared for my 16 year old son. I am very happy with my BD experience and would go to them again for a mt bike.

Stickers aren't going to be easy to remove, assuming they are stickers, they are under the clear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well I just ordered it, bikesdirect did not get back to me on the size, but I could not let this deal go by and was afraid if I waited much longer they'd sell out of them at that price. I'm pretty sure it would be the 17.5 anyways I like my MTB's to be a bit smaller vs larger feeling underneath me and I think the 19 would def be big feeling to me. Can't wait for it to get here, going to sell my Electra cruiser to help offset buying this one, I like my cruiser, but have wanted a SS 29er for awhile just did not want to spend what most of them go for.

mtbr member
    For bigger grips, try the ODI Rogues. They are thicker than most and nice and sticky once broken in...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So stoked, mine should be here tomorrow according to UPS. Will post some pics once I get it built.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by magwa101 View Post
    Checked. They do move independently.
    No. BB7s DO NOT move independently. The gap closes on the inboard side of the break because the rotor is flexing towards it.

Look where the cable is attached. There is no linkage between the inboard pad and the moving parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by magwa101 View Post
    Got it! Love it! Changed rear cog to 13 so now its a great commuter. Soon upgrading to schwables. Something big fat and puncture proof.

Rear chain tugs blow. Anyone have replacement tug recommendations?
    I agree, other than the issue I put a post up on with getting a faulty front tire and crappy tube the only other issue I have is the chain tugs looks suspect. My LBS thought the same thing, he liked everything else about the bike and was impressed (I could not believe it) but with the way they are bent it looks they were not designed for the bike's setup and it's gonna mean we will all need to carry a 10mm open ended wrench in our kit to change a rear flat where as if it was straight and not bent could just use a 10mm socket type wrench on a multi tool.

I'm trying to find a mutitool that has both a 10mm and 15mm open ended built into it and also 4mm, 5mm and 6mm hex wrenches, would be sweet to have it in one tool. Much easier to fit into my Camelbak LoBo and keep from banging around. Otherwise I'm going to try to find lightweight and thin open ended wrenches in those sizes. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just got this bike yesterday. After I assembled the bike I found that steering tube that goes into the headset was loose. It was jiggling within the tube. Is this normal?

Usually at the top of the steering tube there is a hex key hole that i can use to tighten but there was just a flat plate. I'm kinda clueless.

Sorry for bumping this thread up with a noob question. I'm new

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There's a cap on the top of the steering tube that pops right off. There's a hex key hole under it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    There's a cap on the top of the steering tube that pops right off. There's a hex key hole under it.
    Ohh I didn't even notice the cover until you mentioned it. Guess it blended in really well under my fatigued eyes lol. Thanks a bunch!

mtbr member
    Any updates from any of the folks in this thread who bought one? Does the sizing run about right?
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm 5'9" with an inseam of around 31"-32" and have the 17.5, at first it felt a little big, but after about 5 minutes on it the size felt right. I am going to cut the handlebars down a little though, they are a little wide feeling for me.

All in all for $349 shipped to my door I really like it and it does exactly what I need it to do. I may and I stress may down the road put an inexpensive suspension fork on it and I tried some different grips, but went back to the WTB's it came with for now.

The only other things I can say negative about it is the seat post seems to slip some, I like my saddle up high when I'm not riding anything technical stuff and it seems to slip down some after riding for a bit. I may also put some different pedals on it, was at first planning on just staying with platforms, but then was thinking about putting some eggbeaters on it, but now I'm back to maybe just putting some nicer platforms on it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'm 5'10", and also have an inseam of around 31-32" -- do you have plenty of stand-over room?

mtbr member
    Anyone else who bought one have any feedback?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    6'2" 32-33 inch inseam, got a 21 inch and it's a ton of fun. Just ordered a new fork for it!!
    Buy one, u will like it

mtbr member
    Thanks Archaic! Curious, what fork did you order?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    Carbon niner in Kermit green
    Cool looking fork!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Carbon niner in Kermit green

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

which niner fork did you get?

The Tapered Carbon Fork retails for $429.00.

The 1 1/8" Carbon Fork retails for $410.00

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bouncing b/w the Gravity G29 and the Nashbar.

I'm 6'3" 225lb so durability is a concern. Thanks in advance for the feedback - going 29er.

mtbr member
    I decided to hold off on SS for now, but ended up buying a Gravity 29.3 geared bike -- which seems to have essentially the same frame -- and I've been very pleased with the quality and feel of the frame (I'm around 250 lbs.).

mtbr member
    can anyone report the weight of the medium and smalls? i know the front fork would have to go. immediately

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone know how big of a tire you can run front and back?

Edit: Just saw measurements in this thread, hoping a 2.5" tire will fit.
    Last edited by Sasquatch1413; 02-15-2012 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just ordered a 21" in black off of bikeisland.com, BD site that sells parts, frames, and scratch and dent bikes. Got it for $300 instead of $350 with some paint chips and scuffs. Brand new though, just beat up from UPS.

Anyway, should be here on Monday. Will probably completely disassemble and go through it, especially the hubs and truing the wheels. Anybody want to see any specific data?

I asked BD how big a tire I could run, they didn't recommend anything over 2.3. I've got a 2.5" Dissent that I'm gonna try though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just got it in the mail today over lunch. Didn't have time to do much but did assemble and weigh it. In stock trim, the 21" weighted 28.3 lbs (according to my cheap luggage scale). First impression, nice bike but very shodily put together. Front hub is tight and needs to be adjusted. Chain was waaaay to tight, brakes are way off, wheels are true but tension is horrible, etc. etc. Got a bit of work to do tonight. Its gonna be raining all night anyway, won't mind putting some garage time in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well, the G29 front end is a little stupid. Advertised as a 69.8 degree head tube so I thought it'd have a real stable front end. Well that would be all well and good if the fork wasn't weird. I need to do some more measuring but I think it only has a 30-35 mm rake. So slack tube, short rake, lots of trail. Also my damn foot rubs the front tire if conditions are right, on the 21" frame. Granted I wear a size 51 shoe but never had problems with other 29ers. I've got a Kona P2 fork that I'm gonna stick on it and see how it feels.

Been too wet to ride dirt for the past couple weeks but hopefully this weekend will be dry. (knocks on wood).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Im looking at these so my gf can have my windsor 29er. Anyone have updates or pics to share? thanks!
    '11 Redline MonoCog Flight 29er
    '10 Windsor Cliff 29er SS
    '09 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just swapped a Kona P2 fork on mine and really like it now. Steers better and 45mm offset gets rid of my interference problem. I'll try to post some pics tonight. I've got two rides in, and holding up well so far. I swapped a 22t surly cog on it to break me into SS'ing as easily as possible. I still have to walk long climbs but making progress. I'm loving the SS even if it's kickin my arse!

"singlespeed outlaw"
    Just assembled mine, im no expert but sure seems like a pretty good setup for the money, just ditch the half assed rear tensioning system and throw on a tugnut and youre good to go, i think in gonna like it, especially after i put on a nice set of front shox!
    Fat, Fully Rigid, and One #!$%^&* Speed !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am seriously considering picking up one of these SS Gravity 29's or the Windsor 29.1.. I don't really have the money for a Trek Marlin at the moment, but I'm not even sure I want a suspension on the front. Any updates from the Gravity 29 SS riders out there?

Is the gloss black paint job ugly?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JDfromBR View Post
    I am seriously considering picking up one of these SS Gravity 29's or the Windsor 29.1.. I don't really have the money for a Trek Marlin at the moment, but I'm not even sure I want a suspension on the front. Any updates from the Gravity 29 SS riders out there?

Is the gloss black paint job ugly?
    It's a fine platform for a first SS. Gloss black, orange, white.....who cares? It's a bike

mtbr member
    So I got the Gravity G29 in 19" about a month and a half ago. I use it as my daily commuter in Portland. It has been an amazing bike. I put some fat Schwable big apple tires on and outfitted it with planet bike fenders. Because the bike has no fender mounts, I had to repurpose a couple reflector mounts to attach them to the fork, and bend the rear mount 90 degrees and put it on the dropout tensioning bolt. I changed the 18T rear cog to a 16T, although i want to go to a 15T or 14T depending on what i can push up the local hills. The bike has some weaknesses (brakes are not great, rear hub isn't butter smooth) but for $349 its AMAZING!

I give it two thumbs up. Cant go wrong for the price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo-1.jpg  

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo-3.jpg  

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo-4.jpg  

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo-1-copy.jpg  

Anyone have any experience with the Gravity G29 SS?-photo-2-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's a tough looking commuter!

mtbr member
    I'm surprised more people aren't posting pictures of these bikes. I really like the orange colorway

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Been eying this bike for a while..... You guys are just making me want one even more!

mtbr member
    I really wanted the orange -- I have a charcoal bike and a white bike already. But orange in size 17 is back ordered until July. So, I went ahead and ordered the Nashbar 29er (which is gold). It's back ordered until late May, but at least that's a couple of months earlier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The bike looks good i might get it do you know if there are other colors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Never mind I looked it is in black white and orange

mtbr member
    i was looking at the orange...but i think they (and the white) are sold out....or were. maybe they restocked. instead, i opted for the new Cannondale Trail ss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    does anyone know the best place to get one

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrash View Post
    does anyone know the best place to get one

@ the Gravity store:

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point3 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    thank you that helps so much i 'll tell you what i tkink when i get it. I don't know when though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sasquatch,

Have you tried to fit that 2.5" Dissent tire yet? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh, realized I never posted that. 2.5 don't fit. Max is about a 2.3, maybe a skinny 2.4 but thats a big maybe.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast