mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Anyone have a 2013 XXIX?

I've been looking around for a SS belt drive MTB and the Raleigh XXIX is the closest thing I can find to what I want for under $2k. I was actually hoping for a rigid fork but otherwise, on paper at least, it seems like it would work well for me. Main purposes would be cruising around with the girlfriend and the occasional bad weather commute. Would see minimal trail riding.

Anyone here riding the 2013 model? At some point it was rigid and didn't have the newer centertrack belt drive so I'm hoping to find some opinions of the newest version. Would love to hear any thoughts from anyone who owns or has ridden one. My LBS says they are expecting to get some in June, so can't test one out for myself until then. Thanks.

-Brian

mtbr member

Close but no 2013 cigar

I don't have a 2013 but I have a 2012. Here are a few thoughts..

1.- If you want a rigid front end, why not look for a 2012 hold over? They came rigid in stock form (490mm steel fork was spec if you need to find one). You'll save about $500-$600 as well.

2. - I've ridden mine almost a year and a half with absolutely NO belt issues or hub issues as some people report with any belt drive. Doesn't walk or ratchet, hub is super quiet. But you need to have decent maintenance habits like any other bike. Don't run belt too tight or loose, check belt line to be true, basic stuff. I have 2nd gen CDX, not Center Track and have had nothing but happy miles. Set it up right, you're golden.

3. - If you are going to use this as a commuter/townie with occasional trail use, you might want to leave yourself plenty of time to get there LOL. The belt/pulley ratio, if you wanted to think of it in "chain-cog" language is roughly 32t x 20t (by my super accurate guess-o-meter). My other 2 SS's are 32x18 and this spins up and tops out much faster. You won't get anywhere around town very fast but you will have a lot of fun doing it so mine gets a townie day every now and then because of the fun factor...just leave early

4. - Redline Mono-belt is comparably spec'ed and priced as 2013 XXIX. Take a look at those, seem very cool. I would buy one myself, but that is the root of my sickness in the first place, buying more bikes...help me 8lb 7oz baby Jesus!

Good luck in your search!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a 2013 XXIX?-dayone2rs.jpg  

Anyone have a 2013 XXIX?-dayone1rs.jpg  

Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice looking bike. Glad the belt's working out for you. Hope the tech will advance enough for it to be even more reliable. I've always been intrigued by belts, but it seems like its a hit-or-miss.

mtbr member
    I have had great luck but it just requires a more careful setup. Main 2 things are beltline and tension. Bike upside down, pedal forward look for belt walk, pedal backward and do the same. Should stay straight if you are right both ways. Tension needs to be measured in several spots of crank rotation because pulley needs to be centered on the crank spider or tension is all over the place. That's it. I have a year and a half on a stock issue hub. Quiet and trouble free.

You'd probably like one if you are curious about them...cooler than I expected (with high expectations might I add) Have a great ride!
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the reply, despite having a handful of LBS even finding a new XXIX is difficult, no luck with getting last years model. Getting anywhere fast wouldn't be my concern, usual my "around town" rides are with my girlfriend at a leisure pace. My commute will only be 6 miles each way so a slow pace is fine for that as well. I came across the Redline on the web and I do have a LBS that carries Redline bikes, but haven't had a chance to see if they have anything in stock. Agree it's worth checking out as well.

I do like the idea of the belt drive, but with my general lack of options to try one thus far I'm going to have consider a chain driven SS as well I think. Again, thank you for your input.

-Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not to derail; Anyone know the size of the XXIX EBB?

Just Ride
    redline monobelt is under 2k
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Brian,

Did you ever end up finding one? I just put my mint condition, large 2013 up for sale in the Classifieds.

Love the bike, but have a possible neck surgery on the horizon. Have to part with a few toys.

As far as the ride of the 2013, it is smooth and silent. Chromoly frame is pretty compliant (found it to be a tad stiffer than my Salsa El Mar; not in a bad way).The 46tx28t set-up is roughly equivalent to a 32x20 or 33x20 chain drive. The centertrack is awesome (I had a 2012 for awhile and the new system is better). I mainly rode it on cruises with my girlfriend on her hybrid bike. The gear isn't quite tall enough for flat town rides, but I found it fun nonetheless. Great when you hit some hilly terrain though.

Def. a fun ride. Let me know if you had any other specific questions about ride quality, specs, practicality, etc.