Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone ever run a Powertap on a SS?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  staylor 
#1 ·
I signed up for Cohutta 100 and I decided to check the single speed box. I have a powertap on my 26 inch geared bike and was thinking of switching out all my bikes to 29ers, so eventually I'm going to lace my powertap to a 29er hoop. So now I'm getting the idea to run the PT on the SS. Anyone ever do this before. Do you find the PT numbers useful at all?

#2 ·
Would the data be useful for anything other than training? I mean, on a SS, you don't have the option of down shifting if you look down to see you're into LT too early, right? I've always been curious about power output when SSing, but never thought it would be very useful for anything other than training purposes. And even if it's only asthetics, I just hate the look of a dished geared hub with a bunch of spacers to run singlespeed. But I'd still love to hear about it if you end up running one.

I was thinking about getting one for my road bike to focus my power training a while back, but now am leaning much more to a Computrainer.

#3 ·
direneed said:
Would the data be useful for anything other than training? I mean, on a SS, you don't have the option of down shifting if you look down to see you're into LT too early, right? I've always been curious about power output when SSing, but never thought it would be very useful for anything other than training purposes. And even if it's only asthetics, I just hate the look of a dished geared hub with a bunch of spacers to run singlespeed. But I'd still love to hear about it if you end up running one.

I was thinking about getting one for my road bike to focus my power training a while back, but now am leaning much more to a Computrainer.
I've had a Computrainer for over 5yrs and also a Powertap on my mtb and one on my road bike. My advice would be to get a PT for your bike, you can ride and race on it, and if the weather is bad or you are training indoors you can hop on a regular trainer and use the PT to keep you honest.

Training on wattage and racing on wattage usually display different trends. It's a good idea to race on wattage every once in a while.

#4 ·
It would be pretty much just be for training purposes. I'm a roadie, and only do a MTB as a fun way to switch things up. My buddy a couple years ago got me to do SM100 and now think the NUE races are a really great events. This is going to be my first one that I've ever done SS. I run PT's on my road bike 80% of the time (race wheels doesn't have one yet), and think that this would be a good way to see power over long periods. Also, I think it would be great to see the power outputs while SS it.

The main reason why I ask, is how do your free hub bodies hold up to the forces. My road one gets pretty beat with just a normal 10 speed cassette.

#5 ·
asmallsol said:
It would be pretty much just be for training purposes. I'm a roadie, and only do a MTB as a fun way to switch things up. My buddy a couple years ago got me to do SM100 and now think the NUE races are a really great events. This is going to be my first one that I've ever done SS. I run PT's on my road bike 80% of the time (race wheels doesn't have one yet), and think that this would be a good way to see power over long periods. Also, I think it would be great to see the power outputs while SS it.

The main reason why I ask, is how do your free hub bodies hold up to the forces. My road one gets pretty beat with just a normal 10 speed cassette.
Order the steel freehub, my aluminum one was getting torn up and ever since the steel one went on the shearing effect doesn't show up on the splines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.