mtbr member

Is anyone else using a homemade tensioner?

I just made this today out of a back plate and jockey wheel off of a scrap Shimano derailleur I had laying around...it's actually lighter, stronger, quieter, and lines up better and easier than the Sette tensioner I've been using. One of these days I will get it powdercoated to look better. The silver plate that it is made out of had 2 threaded holes for the original jockey wheel placement when it was a derailleur. Basically I just used a cutting wheel, grinder, and file to get the smallest shape it would allow without sacrificing strength. From there I cut off a sleeve of aluminum off of an old condensor to get the spacing right and found a longer bolt that threaded in the hole. That's how the jockey wheel side is built. And for the mounting side I just used a 5mm braze-on bolt and a larger washer to go through the derailleur mounting hole on the hanger. So all I have to do to take it off or loosen it enough to take my wheel off is just loosen the 5mm bolt.

So is anyone else out there using something like this? If so I'd like to see it!

Kicker of Elves
    That looks pretty cool but yeah there are few out there:http://http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=226049

I barf on top tubes
    nice work

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg w
    nice work
    Thanks, it works phemoninally, much better than the one I bought for $20

Bro Mountainbiker
    does a ghost ring count :-P
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    I would like to see the ghost ring and how you have it working. Does it move on you when the trail gets rough?
    1993 Barracuda A2R - 1x7 Beater
    2007 Redline Monocog 29er

feltbicycles.com
    I made this with a BB mount ISG style plate and the remnants of a SRAM Red read der. Not the lightest out there, but I like how much chain clearance it provides.

www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

Bro Mountainbiker
    I instaelled one temporarily when my real tensioner broke and i have to say it worked amazing. I had to move my chainline in like an inch so the ring would clear my chainstays. Honestly, I never imagined it working but it did sO flawlessly. It was on a rigid 26" on some super rough trails too. I would take a pic but I already installed a gusset bachelor on my bike.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I would like to see the ghost ring and how you have it working. Does it move on you when the trail gets rough?
    Actually it would slap on my Chainstays when I would hit bumps and stuff. Kinda annoying but it always reminded me that it was still there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [QUOTE=wpcouch]I made this with a BB mount ISG style plate and the remnants of a SRAM Red read der. Not the lightest out there, but I like how much chain clearance it provides.

That's very nice! Is the ISG plate kept from rotating anti-clockwise purely by the torque on the BB shell?

feltbicycles.com
    Yup, that's about right. There isn't really anything that would cause the plate to move on a single speed, so I've never had any issues with it. Once I got the plate itself in the correct place I torqued the BB. The arm is slotted, so minor adjustments and/or cog changes can be taken care of by moving the pulley wheel.

The plate can certainly be lightened a fair amount by removing unnecessary material. The complete bike weighed in at 18lbs w pedals though, so I never bothered to do it.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

mtbr member
    Made a new one when I got bored today works better than the last one

mtbr member
    It LOOKS heavier than the first one but nicer...Yea, I found the thread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah
    It LOOKS heavier than the first one but nicer...Yea, I found the thread!
    Thanks I lost it it's actually not much heavier, the first was steel.

mtbr member
    Being Aluminium Alloy I'm sure it's close to the same weight. Can you drill some nicely placed holes in that when you get bored? I'm wondering if it may be hollow of not.
    Anyway...I laid awake last night thinking about going SS to try it out. Damn it... I just bought an entire new drivetrain too! Cranks, Rings, Chain, Cassette. I just have to get the
    Iso Flow off there anyway since I got a Stylo with the GXP BB for $99! (Price Point) and the stock is getting low on them now. I'm not a fan of my noisey Power Spline.

mtbr member
    For some reason the 1.1 cost a little more than the 2.1 so I got the 2.1 and figure I can just take the small ring off if I want a 1x9 or single speed. I searched for weeks for the best quality crankset for the best price and that's what I came up with. It's light enough for XC but also tough enough for all mountain use too. I do alot of climbing and even more rock garden riding with a ton of big rocks and obstacles so I wanted a good light and heavy duty set.

Members who have read this thread: 0