wuh?
    Jan 2004

Anybody SSed K. A. Hanna Park in Jacksonville, FL?

I have never been there and am planning on doing a race there next month and am curious about gear selection and terrain. Thanks.

jon.

So stop asking.
    Jan 2004

I wasn't a SS'er then...

Quote Originally Posted by sspoop
    I have never been there and am planning on doing a race there next month and am curious about gear selection and terrain. Thanks.

jon.
    but back in "the day" I did the FL series and Hanna was always on the list. Very, Very flat, sandy with a zillion and 1 palmetto roots. Fast. 34/14 should do the trick.

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004

Smile

That's where I started mountainbiking. It's very easy, non technical, with little in the way of elevation. It's a twisty trail, but you can carry most of your speed through the corners. The roots aren't even that bad. When I was there over thanksgiving it was very hardpacked & fast, but the sand can really slow you down if it gets dry. I'm fat & outta shape and I ran a 39/17 last time I was there. I cleaned everything and maintained a fairly fast pace.

The trails are split in half by the main park road. The trails on the south side of the road are fairly twisty, the trails on the north side have a lot of straightaways (they have their fare share of twistyness too). Last winter's Gone Riding race only used the trails on the south side of the road. You can run a really big gear if you're in good shape, but last time I raced there I valued acceleration over top end speed. There were lotsa corners and places that would require a quick sprint, but there weren't many straightaways to take advantage of a really big gear.