mtbr member

Any Zonies out here?

Was curious what rear cog you run. I'm a part time SSer, usually take it out once a week to just work out some kinks. My trail of preference is T100 from Dreamy Draw. I'm running a 32-16. Does that seem to big? For the most part, I can make all the climbs on T100 itself (although the last two time, I struggled with the first one east of Dreamy Draw), but I've never ventured off the trail to hit some of the other side trails.

Fight the Kakistocracy!

TucSSon

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Was curious what rear cog you run. I'm a part time SSer, usually take it out once a week to just work out some kinks. My trail of preference is T100 from Dreamy Draw. I'm running a 32-16. Does that seem to big? For the most part, I can make all the climbs on T100 itself (although the last two time, I struggled with the first one east of Dreamy Draw), but I've never ventured off the trail to hit some of the other side trails.
    I don't knwo about y'all up there in PHX, but I run 34x18 and have been able to do the 24hr course, 50 year, and Fantasy Island. I could do most of StarrPass except some of the longer steeper climbs. Maybe you can relate my stuff to some of yours. Anybody have any comparisons to the trails that I listed to some of the more popular stuff up in Phoenix?

veelz
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

mr. wonderful
    It really depends on the kind of gear ratio you like (and even feel like for your ride). Would I say that 32/16 is too big for Trail 100? Absolutely not! It is a fun gear if you really want to keep the speed up. If you are struggling up some of the hills, you may want to go down to a 17 or 18. There is nothing wrong with using what works for you. I run both a 34/18 and 19 (usually the 19 because i'm too lazy to switch after riding National) on Trail 100 and have no problems climbing any of the hills. The 19 also gives me a fighting chance to sit and mash up the hills, whereas I have to stand sections with the 18.

I am Doctor Remulak

Yeah

Does 32x16 seem too big to you? You're the final judge of what's acceptable to you, right? It sounds to me like that combo is working for you.

32x16 would be too much (for me) on the large climbs on Javelina/Mormon/National and Hawes. I've been running 32x18 and it's a decent gear for climbing although I find myself spun out on the flats sometimes. I'm going to change to 34x18 next week and see how that works out.

mtbr member

I guess I should have prefaced this...

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Does 32x16 seem too big to you? You're the final judge of what's acceptable to you, right? It sounds to me like that combo is working for you.

32x16 would be too much (for me) on the large climbs on Javelina/Mormon/National and Hawes. I've been running 32x18 and it's a decent gear for climbing although I find myself spun out on the flats sometimes. I'm going to change to 34x18 next week and see how that works out.
    by saying I want to expand my horizons, and wasn't sure if the adequare 32-16 was fine for something outside of my norm. Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to put the 18 on this weekend, and preride the 24otop course this weekend. Who knows, I might like spinning more than mashing.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey

I ride 32x18 for just about everything in Phoenix area. However, I felt really spun out on the 24 hr Old Pueblo course so I plan to try 32x17 and see if I can still get up and over the 7 &itches.

Kathleen

King Pin

Zonies

32/19 up here in Preskit.

Thinkin' I'll run 32/16 at Old Pueblo.

Portable curmudgeon

34x20

Hey, we're only called Zonies when we're in San Diego. 7:~)

I rocked a 34:20 around Sacramento and still use it here in Tucson. Its a great deal lower than what you run (32:16) and what the other folks have mentioned (32:18). Its a good ratio for me, though I weigh somewhere on the far side of 250# and thus need a lower ratio for climbing. Are you a rockcrusher or a bantam? I wouldn't go that low if I was at (or get back to) my college weight (<225). I imagine I'd like 36:20 or 34:18 if I was.

Trail 100 was my home trail for years when I lived in Phoenix. I didn't own a singlespeed then, but I still remember most every inch of the trail. I've singlespeeded (singlesped?) Starr and Gates Pass at Tucson Mountain Park and just got off the 50-Year about 2 hours ago. I'm trying to form an impression based on my recent Tucson experiences and my memories of T100 and the spurs. The side trails (8, 1A) can be steep and rocky (just as 100 is), and that's why I'd think about taking the ratio down 4 or 5 gear inches. I suggest you try an 18 out back and see if you like it.

The lower ratio will be a bummer on the fire roads but not a whole lot of T100 is flat. Besides, you can work on perfecting your high RPM spin. Descending with the lower ratio will get you spun out quickly, but 2:1 isn't exactly a Kamikaze gear to begin with. Think of it as having to stop pedaling and start coasting about 50 feet earlier on a given descent.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you on T100 some day when I take a nostaligia ride.

Bike down.
    AZB