mtbr member

Any w/ Mavic CrossRoc experience?

I noticed these at Supergo for $149 for the set, but have only seen mediocre reviews. Does anyone have real world experience w/ these?

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    I noticed these at Supergo for $149 for the set, but have only seen mediocre reviews. Does anyone have real world experience w/ these?
    I ran a set on my ss for quite a long time with no problems. Crossrocs have a sturdier cassette mechanism than the Crossmax wheels which I did have problems with on my ss. $149 for a pair sounds like a good deal.

mtbr member
    Used a set for over 1 year with no major problems. If running on wet/mud frequently be prepared to swap freehubs at least once a year.

USB Rep'n
    At $149 I'd buy em again, that's a steal. The wheels are reasonably sturdy for an xc wheel although I have lost my appetite for UST (too many problems if/when you flat). To make up the traction difference, I run larger tires at lower pressure. Any, back to the wheels....One thing I hate about them (beyond Mavic's suckful customer service) are the nipple screws they use. If you ride in cr@p and ever need to true a wheel, look out. These things will bust and getting new ones is a pita! To make it worse, you need special tool or to have the lbs do the work. I just think the design sucks. The freehub holds up to some abuse but I agree with the others, you'll have to replce it annually if you ride in bad conditions and/or ride it hard. For straight up xc, these things are a solid choice and will last. For anything more, or if you are a mudder, I'd go with something else.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. Looks like even w/ the caveats, it's still a good deal. This'd be used mostly as a training set, just trying to have an alternate to the beater rims I currently have. I'm planning on making it to the Cupertino Swap this weekend to troll for a wheelset, but wanted to know if I had a decent backup if I couldn't find anything.