mtbr member

Any thoughts if either of these frames would work as a SS, One soft tail one FS

Any idea if the Dean Duke with 1 1/8" of travel would work as a single speed?
    I know of other softails that have been made into single speeds, but not sure if 1 1/8" is too much travel and would effect the chain tension. I have seen quite a few built without using any tensioners, wondering if it is possible to build this DEAN softail without a tension devise and an EBB.

CANE CREEK AD-5 Air rear shock delivers 1-1/8" of active travel

Also while looking on the DEAN site, I came across this IONIC frame, suspension piviot is at the BB, which has been stated would work as a SS since there is not chanbe in the chain length thru the suspension stroke.
    Think this would work as well?

Strategic "Y" link placement in conjuction with the Fifth Element Air shock eliminate all pedal induced suspension "bobbing" - You get maximum power out of every pedal stroke! Linear Link pivot design eliminates chain pull and pedal kick back during braking - cartridge bearings throughout make the E3 FS a super smooth ride all the time

KMan
    Last edited by KMan; 04-28-2004 at 01:11 PM.

Steamroller

It should work

If you can find the magic ratio you may be able to run with no tensioner. If that won't work An ENO eccentric hub should do the trick. I can't say for sure that 1 1/8" of travel won't screw with the chain tension though, it kind of depends on how the chainstays flex, someone else may know for sure. It would make a nice SS bike even if you are forged to use a tensioner.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

should be fine...

i ran a ibis ripley as an SS without a tensioner for awhile, no probs. the ripley has a wee bit more travel that the duke. as for the ionic, i wouldn't see how it would be a problem either with the pivot point at the bb. those ionic e3 frame do looks sweet, just a more ecomonical version of their ti dean ace frames.

i have '03 dean duke (size XL) and it's a great bike. i will be selling her though, once my ibis ripley gets back from spectrum powder works.

cheers!