Penis Goat!

Any Surly Pacer owners within 3 hours of central Kentucky?

Hello,

I know I posted this on General too, but these audiences are quite different. A lot of Surly lovers here, too. So here goes...

I've been researching and testing road bikes for a while, and have narrowed my choices down between a few bikes. At the top of my list is the Surly Pacer...I'm a fan of steel, and it just looks like a decent, sturdy, comfortable bike. The only problem is, I don't really have any way to test one out without trying to find an owner.

So, is there any kind soul who would be wonderful enough to let me do a short ride on their Pacer? I don't want to do anything massive, just something that'll show me how it rides and handles. I just don't feel comfortable buying the Surly without testing one...I know how dissimilar steel frames can feel.

I'm located in Lexington, KY, and the closer, the better. A 60cm frame would be nice too, but it's not a necessity. And I'd like to test it within the next few weeks if possible.

Maybe we could hit some trails, too!

Thanks a lot,
    Brian

mtbr member

HenryEarl.com?

Good Lord, is he (Henry Earl) still alive. About ten years ago I used to bounce him out of the public library once or twice times a week. If the photos on the web site are recent, he hasn't aged a day since. Probably completely pickled.

Maybe he is the son of James Brown...
    [SIZE=4]You gonna ride that?[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Kinda, but not really

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    So, is there any kind soul who would be wonderful enough to let me do a short ride on their Pacer?
    Well, I meet your location and bike size criteria, but I only have a Surly Karate Monkey L set up for off-road usage. There are a couple of people around Louisville that have a Steamroller. Not sure if the size or geometry is the same though. You might try getting on the yahoo group kycyclist. Also, someone might know a Pacer owner on http://www.singletrack.net

Hope this helps!

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister
    Good Lord, is he (Henry Earl) still alive. About ten years ago I used to bounce him out of the public library once or twice times a week. If the photos on the web site are recent, he hasn't aged a day since. Probably completely pickled.

Maybe he is the son of James Brown...
    He's gotten huge...CNN, MSNBC, you name it. He got a lot of attention on Fark.com and many other 'fan' websites. He was almost on the Jimmy Kimmel show, but they couldn't get anything worked out, or so he told my friend when he saw him wandering down Limestone one day ("I'm Henry Earl, aka James Brown!" he told my friend).

Another friend is one of the members of that band, he happened to find the guy in LFUCG's corrections website one day. Dunno if he started the whole Henry Earl movement or not, but it's out of control. Pretty funny stuff.

You still in Lexington?

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckc1971
    Well, I meet your location and bike size criteria, but I only have a Surly Karate Monkey L set up for off-road usage. There are a couple of people around Louisville that have a Steamroller. Not sure if the size or geometry is the same though. You might try getting on the yahoo group kycyclist. Also, someone might know a Pacer owner on http://www.singletrack.net

Hope this helps!
    Have you ridden any other Surly bikes? I'm just wondering if the ride's pretty much the same on each of their bikes. I just rode a 1x1 yesterday, and it was similar to my old Cro-Mo Mongoose...which is a good thing.

Duh, why didn't I think of asking on Singletrack? Thanks for the help!

Brian
    Last edited by GirchyGirchy; 04-18-2004 at 04:27 PM. Reason: fixed sumthin'