mtbr member

Any suggestions on tensioning the chain without a singulator?

I wondering how I can get rid of the singulator (don't like it) without having to spend much on new hubs or expensive parts.

I read somewhere about filing the dropouts in order to have more room. Also saw some pics of a conversion using BMX tensioners but don't really understood how the tensioners were installed.

Here's what I use now, as you can see is a 9sp hub with Flashpoint spacers/cog kit and a singulator.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 01-13-2004 at 10:36 AM.

King Pin
    You can try wedging a granny gear 'tween the upper and lower portions of the chain....worked for me. Difficult to 'splain, tho.

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    I wondering how I can get rid of the singulator (don't like it) without having to spend much on new hubs or expensive parts.

I read somewhere about filing the dropouts in order to have more room. Also saw some pics of a conversion using BMX tensioners but don't really understood how the tensioners were installed.

Here's what I use now, as you can see is a 9sp hub with Flashpoint spacers/cog kit and a singulator.
    You could try filing flats on the axle to give you a little more room to take up the slack. I've done that on my old vertical dropout aluminum frame. I was surprised how much slack you can take up by doing that.

semi-evolved simian
    Of course another option is to try some different ratios. The
    FixMeUp! calculator is your friend for that kind of stuff. Put your current chainring/cog in and try to find something with a slightly longer chainstay length (it doesn't need to be much longer to take up a lot of slack).

Medium?
    Looks like you're pretty close already.

Search google for FixMeUp and see if you can find another good gear that would provide a tensionerless solution.

USB Rep'n
    Ditto the fix me up and check out Gene Spicer. He's now making 3/32" halflinks that will make up most differences you'll encounter. I run a 32x17 with a half link, no tensioner, no filing. Cost's about $10 which is pretty stinkin cheap for something that works. My buddy uses one too for his 32x18 setup and has had no problems.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Might try a half-link from Spicercycles.com...

I am using one now with the Singleator taking up a little slack in the push up position. Used it yesterday and is working great. It might get you to a position where you don't even need the tensioner. Worth a try for 10 bucks. I was short less than a link, but more than a half, so it got me closer at least and allowed for a better push up advantage which eliminated slight skipping problem I had in the push down position.

Medium?
    That works better if you need a shorter chainline.

He'd need to make his chainline just a little longer. If he filed, his axle would have to be at the back of the drops, and I suspect it would always be sliding forward.

mtbr member
    Is a 9sp chain 3/32 or 1/8?

I'm using a 32/18 combination.

Medium?
    9 speed chain is 3/32"

FixMeUp says that 32:16 fits a little more than 16.2" chainline (plus or minus a link). These ratios are about 16.1". Find some rings/cogs and try them out:

34:17
    33:18
    32:19

Be aware that a new chain will make a lot of difference.

mtbr member
    Thanks Eddy.

You're right about the chain, I'm using a chain that was on my gearie and used for about a year. Do you think that by just replacing the chain and adding the half link will be enough?

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Thanks Eddy.

You're right about the chain, I'm using a chain that was on my gearie and used for about a year. Do you think that by just replacing the chain and adding the half link will be enough?
    hard to say but you can easily "stretch" a chain by that amount. I find that when I put a new chain on its so tight I can barely get things moving but after a few hours riding, its settled in nicely.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Another alternative will be to change the cog to a 19t following the FixMeUp suggestions that Freddy posted.

Is it really different from a 18t? In terms of pedal force, etc.

mtbr member
    3/32 is 8sp

11/128 is 9sp