blame me for missed rides

New question here. any SSing photographers here?

in another forum i run into an interesting post. a photographer-biker who has never ridden a SS bike claims he understands the motivation behind SSing because of his experience with prime lenses vs. zoom lenses. other than the apparent weight savings over zoom lenses, he said, prime lenses place less glass between you and the object, thus giving better image quality. photographing with prime lense is also more "intuitive" and with a "more focused mind" since one doesn't need to worry about the zoom. that's about as much as i can understand about his photpgraphy jargon or the zen in photography.

now, is there anyone who has done photography using prime and zoom lenses? do you feel this way?

34N 118W

funny you should ask...

I hauled my Nikon 35mm with a beautiful 20mm lens along on today's SoCal gathering ride. It takes a separate padded fanny pack by itself. I also had my digital but for quality shots I went with the 35mm. I can see the similarities - without a zoom I need to work with what I got, there's nothing to futz around with or worry about like digital delay, batteries dying or menu settings. Hmmm, starting to sound like derailleurs to me I see more of a comparison between digicams & film cams in this regard. I love knowing that when I click the shutter, I captured what I saw, no delay to capture just the rear wheel. aosty has a nice digital SLR but those are big buck$. But they get the best of both worlds - no delay and great quality.

I have to send my film out and wait for 2-3 days to get pics back. No biggie. And you should have heard the group laugh when the Nikon went off with that old school motor drive sound. Woah - classic!

the biggest similarity is that I grew up on hardtails and SS bmx bikes. I also grew up shooting a lot of 35mm film. Why complicate things just because I can buy something newer & more complex? ( but then, my digicam is a helluva lot smaller and lighter...)

thanks,
    HW

Quote Originally Posted by weather
    in another forum i run into an interesting post. a photographer-biker who has never ridden a SS bike claims he understands the motivation behind SSing because of his experience with prime lenses vs. zoom lenses. other than the apparent weight savings over zoom lenses, he said, prime lenses place less glass between you and the object, thus giving better image quality. photographing with prime lense is also more "intuitive" and with a "more focused mind" since one doesn't need to worry about the zoom. that's about as much as i can understand about his photpgraphy jargon or the zen in photography.

now, is there anyone who has done photography using prime and zoom lenses? do you feel this way?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Let's not start...

I do commercial photography for a living. This is a prime comparison example. Many can argue for hours about this topic, as many do. Then you get into film vs. digital. Digital is so easy, light weight, and convenient. However, I have lugged my metal body 35mm pentaz K w/ fixed lenses around in the camelbak on many epic rides. Results are ALWAYS great, but the process takes time. I just bought MY first digicam a month ago, but at work have been shooting digital for 3 years. It's so small and lightweight, and I can take so many photos. This argument can go for days. I quit.

artistic...

Cool-blue Rhythm yes!

Quote Originally Posted by weather

that's trhe concept. carier bresson, the most influential photographer ever, imoho, only used ONE prime lens.. cause it's WHAT you photograh that matters. the less equipment you use, the less equipment it shows and what you see, think , is revealed. also, when you focus and know what's important, you want to get rid of excess. you want less cameras, less lenses, less artifice. good photographers generally use one lens only. if someone wants another perspective othe than his, they may as well hire someone else.

artistic...

motor drive???

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I hauled my Nikon 35mm with a beautiful 20mm lens along on today's SoCal gathering ride. It takes a separate padded fanny pack by itself. I also had my digital but for quality shots I went with the 35mm. I can see the similarities - without a zoom I need to work with what I got, there's nothing to futz around with or worry about like digital delay, batteries dying or menu settings. Hmmm, starting to sound like derailleurs to me I see more of a comparison between digicams & film cams in this regard. I love knowing that when I click the shutter, I captured what I saw, no delay to capture just the rear wheel. aosty has a nice digital SLR but those are big buck$. But they get the best of both worlds - no delay and great quality.

I have to send my film out and wait for 2-3 days to get pics back. No biggie. And you should have heard the group laugh when the Nikon went off with that old school motor drive sound. Woah - classic!

the biggest similarity is that I grew up on hardtails and SS bmx bikes. I also grew up shooting a lot of 35mm film. Why complicate things just because I can buy something newer & more complex? ( but then, my digicam is a helluva lot smaller and lighter...)

thanks,
    HW
    what's wrong with a thumb advancing the film concept? get a leica! ha ha ha.
    (where i live, films are getting dificult to find... digital is taking over. so a dig. slr is a must. myself, i want a rolleiflex!)

artistic...

there's no film x digital question...

Quote Originally Posted by SSconny
    I do commercial photography for a living. This is a prime comparison example. Many can argue for hours about this topic, as many do. Then you get into film vs. digital. Digital is so easy, light weight, and convenient. However, I have lugged my metal body 35mm pentaz K w/ fixed lenses around in the camelbak on many epic rides. Results are ALWAYS great, but the process takes time. I just bought MY first digicam a month ago, but at work have been shooting digital for 3 years. It's so small and lightweight, and I can take so many photos. This argument can go for days. I quit.
    i'm a pro too and this is only a technical matter for me. i can shoot both and my vision can be expressed with both. i like the punch colors have with digital media: it separates colors, radically.
    i don't like electronic cameras though, being them film cameras or digital cameras. i hate menus and like the "f/stop x shutter x manual focus" operation. it's MUCH better for me.
    i would like a manual digital camera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lenses are just great tools

[QUOTE=
    now, is there anyone who has done photography using prime and zoom lenses? do you feel this way?[/QUOTE]

Been shooting as a pro and as an artist for over 20 years. What i use depends on the application or job. There are some great zoom lenses and there are dogs too. Same applies to prime lenses. Zeiss lenses and Holga lenses can take great pictures but also shite too.

But when I go riding, I just use a singlespeed. And i don't take myself so seriously since I'm not working.

Hmm, what would this smartypants say about this?