Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any Singlespeed Clydesdales out there?

I recently raced for the first time in about 12 years. I entered as a Clydesdale and rode a singlespeed. At the starting line, I couldn’t’ help but notice that none of my fellow clydes were riding singles, and none of the people in the singlespeed class seemed to be clydesdale-eligible.

Then, just before the top of the last hill of the day, when I was puttin’ my full weight into the cranks, my chain popped like a gunshot and threw me over the handlebars and effectively out of the race. (no tools but flat-fixin’s—“what could possibly go wrong with a singlespeed?” I thought).

I’ve ridden singlespeeds for a long time—and I’m a perma-clyde (There’s no way I could lose enough weight to get under 200lbs w/o donating some organs) . I’ve never broken a chain before, so this could just be an anomaly. But, still I have to wonder—is there a reason why there are no other single-speedin’ biggies out there?

If you’re a One Cog Clyde—let the world (or at least this message board) know you’re out there. . .

Cyclist

Clydes break things, that's what we do...

220# happy single speeder and former professional beer drinker. It took me a while to outfit my SS to clyde proof standards and the regulars on this board probably remember all my posts about broken BB's, handlebars etc...

I finally got it figured out.

STEEL is your friend.

3 piece steel cranks (stiff)
    1/8 BMX chain
    DH alumunim bars
    Thomson seatpost and stem
    CK hubs.
    Steel custom frame, extra strong

The best upgrade for me was the three piece cranks followed by the 1/8" chain. I broke many 9-8 speed chains and wasted cash on stupid ISIS bottom brackets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member

I thought Clydsdales were Scottish heavy draft horses ;)

But if you are content with the analogy, I guess I would consider myself one of those.

I weigh in at 230 lbs. and ride single speed bikes every chance I get. I run a standard 8-spd chain as there has never been a need to try anything else. Run a 34:18 off-road and 50:18 on the road. I am betting the chain breakage was an anomaly... although it could also be riding technique. Of course I have only been riding SS for 4 years, so maybe a more experienced 'clydsdale' could offer input.

Next time carry a chain tool and some spare links so you can give the rest of the SS class some trouble.

dd..''

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Last time I was on a scale I weighed 235. The biggest issue I have with bikes is suspension. There are few forks that have a high enough spring rate for me, so I go with air. Otherwise, I don't think I'm that tough on parts. I've broken a crank, but it's the same one many others have broken, and I've only ever popped one chain like you describe. I do use a DH stem, bar and headset though.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

I hate to admit it...

I hate to admit it, but I was 212lbs. the last time I got on a scale. I've had 1 broken chain
    & 1 snapped chainring (I think one of my bolts failed) in the past two years. Since then, I've been using SRAM single speed chains on my 3 rides without incident.
    [SIZE=4]You gonna ride that?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Yup. I haven't broken many parts on the SS but I have broken a chain (due to my own poor job at re-joining it) and had to walk out from a ride because I wasn't carrying spare links at the time. My camelbak now always has some 1/8" and 9sp links tucked away.

I'm not super hard on parts but some things I do find...

Thomson seatposts --- The only ones that don't bend easily.
    Old GT steel frame = Practically indestructible.
    Dimension disc rigid fork.. Not so indestructible...
    Old style freewheel hubs = broken axles.. don't even bother.

I've broken a few chains on the gearie though...

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

not a full-on clyde...

at 6'1" & 175lbs, but i think my bike is probably clydeproof:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [size=1][/size]

mtbr member

my chain break . . .

[QUOTE=Brandon]Yup. I haven't broken many parts on the SS but I have broken a chain (due to my own poor job at re-joining it)

I've broken a few chains on geared bikes, but it's always been a failure where the pin goes thorugh--usually with the side plate bent away from the pin rather than having the side plate actually broken.

My SS chain break happened at mid-link--that is the side plates on both sides snapped. I've never seen anything like that before.

In general, I've never been much of a parts bender/breaker. For as big as I am, and for as clumsy as I am on foot, I'm pretty graceful on a bike. I "ride light" so to speak.

But, with a single speed, there's no such thing as soft pedaling. . .

mtbr member

ok about the chain breaking

so im no where close to becoming a clydesdale, but i have to put in my $.02 about chain breaking. Last summer i rode with a guy who was 5'3" and weighed in at probably 135-140 lbs and he could break chains no end, didnt matter which bike, i think chain breaking comes from mostly from having a lot of power in your legs, not necesarrily big guys only. Also, another reason that i just thought of could be flex in the frame, twist the chain, loosen the bolts, loose bolts=broken chain. As for advide i would reccomend getting a BMX chain, its what i run on my singlespeed and ive never had any breakages. And one more reccomendation for singlespeeders/clydes out there, try looking at danscomp.com, its a bmx supply store with fairly good prices and lots of parts that tranfer from BMX to mtn singlspeeding. (that wipperman pro at dans comp looks like it would be tough to break!)

The Top Cap Guy
    I'm a Clyde... 210lbs currently (down from 220-225). I've been pretty lucky on the parts breakage... about the biggest thing I get is bent saddle rails every so often when I land wrong on the bike and there's no suspension to make up for it. I've never had any chain issues but I'm more of a spinner than a stopmer - I'll run my 34/20 all day when others are running 34/17 or 18's... I race in a open club race once a month in Summer - end up mid packing it but then there are some seriously fast guys there as well as some newbies - so I'm happy in the mid pack.

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Probably drunk right now

Sure....

Quote Originally Posted by farley
    I recently raced for the first time in about 12 years. I entered as a Clydesdale and rode a singlespeed. At the starting line, I couldn’t’ help but notice that none of my fellow clydes were riding singles, and none of the people in the singlespeed class seemed to be clydesdale-eligible.

Then, just before the top of the last hill of the day, when I was puttin’ my full weight into the cranks, my chain popped like a gunshot and threw me over the handlebars and effectively out of the race. (no tools but flat-fixin’s—“what could possibly go wrong with a singlespeed?” I thought).

I’ve ridden singlespeeds for a long time—and I’m a perma-clyde (There’s no way I could lose enough weight to get under 200lbs w/o donating some organs) . I’ve never broken a chain before, so this could just be an anomaly. But, still I have to wonder—is there a reason why there are no other single-speedin’ biggies out there?

If you’re a One Cog Clyde—let the world (or at least this message board) know you’re out there. . .
    220 pounds of pure beer drinking love....

I broke a chain while riding Slickrock Trail. I was climbing and torquing up a hill, my chest waaaaay forward on handlebars when the chain gave way. I wound up endoing going up hill.

I ride with a SRAM chain. I'm a big fan of the SRAM link. I also carry a chain tool (as part of a mini-tool) in my ride kit.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Clydes, you kidding?

I'm 205, just over the clyde entrance weight, and ride a steel plowboy. Parts breakage: 2 cranks; pulled out one pedal; 2 stems and one rear wheel. Torque is such that I can never get my freewheel off unless two clydes put 500 pounds of beer behind the wheel to turn it on a vice... in fact have broken two vices. Other vices? Beer of course.

Steamroller

Bending and stretching

I'm 6'2" and 245# and have not broken anything on my SS. I have bent pedals, bent seat rails, and stretched chains on the SS. A key to not breaking parts may be keeping an eye on them. I notice a chain stretching and replace it before it breaks. I still carry extra links and a chain tool in my Camelback just in case, because like others say we break stuff.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by farley
    But, still I have to wonder—is there a reason why there are no other single-speedin’ biggies out there? If you’re a One Cog Clyde—let the world (or at least this message board) know you’re out there. . .
    I wonder where you live? I've seen a few around.. and, Lord, I know, I'm one.
    Here's all 240lbs of me cruising on my SS....

Like Striker said.. I've kinda got it figured out too...
    steel is my friend
    the 3 piece steel cranks are pretty cool but my RF Turbines seems to be fine so far.
    1/8 BMX chain is a must.. PC-7X... we will mourn it's passing...
    DH alumunim bars...No way, too heavy.. DH CARBON.. saves us Clydes hundreds of grams.
    Thomson seatpost and stem. Is there another choice?
    CK hubs.
    Steel custom frame, extra strong. Mine is almost 9lbs of strong...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You can call me Clyde

I go about 6'3" and 215-220# . I have had quite a few issues with breakage on my bikes. 2 cranksets (one was a 2003 XT crankset). I snapped the non-drive hubflange on my PAUL hub (he replaced them and was really cool about it). Two chains on the gearie, none on the SS (knock on wood). Two h-bars and 2 saddles.
    Some of these things broke as a result of a crash others just went. I make it a policy to get the most strength for my money and don't obcess about weight. My parts spec (check my profile) may be a little heavy for an XC rider but they haven't failed yet. I would rather carry a few extra pounds than walk home.
    You will eventually break parts if you ride enough but you can minimize breakage through good parts choices.

Winky

mtbr member

I'm a big boy

5'8" 230lbs never broken anything on my bike but I have flatted a million times. Knock on woooooood.

mtbr member

1/8 chains

are all of you who are running bmx chains running bmx chainrings? Can I run a bmx chain on a suffering?

mtbr member
    I'm down to 210 as of this morning, from 235, and ride an ultralight aluminum hardtail SS with a Black Comp coil fork. Well, ultralight for the day: it's a Manitou HT with SweetWings external BB cranks, a White Industries-based wheelset and whatnot...we guess around 23lb with a 25.25" top tube.

I don't break parts often, and don't buy stuff that I think will break. I run Sachs 8-sp chains and have had not problems I didn't cause myself.

Witty McWitterson
    I count as one too. 240 and been doing this ss thing from 'bout '96 or so. Long time lovin'! I've only broken one BB, and a few chains. Nothing else, I'm not a jumper or hard on parts.
    Just a regular guy.

gentle like

me too

205 - down from 235. aiming for 190 ... maybe 195.

relatively new to single speeding, but i understand what it's like to feel large in the ss line up at races. well, at a race ... i've only done one. i came in last in open ss ... but had i entered beginners (which i am, and no clyde categories were available), my lap times would have been good for second in my age category. you climb fast when you can't make it easier!

i'm pretty easy on equipment, and kinda believe the 'some folks mash, some float' theory. but be proud and enter the ss cat as a clyde!

Am I getting too bulky?
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Thomson seatpost and stem. Is there another choice?
    Well, with regard to the seatpost, not really. Her's my option for the stem though.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Dain Bramaged

Yo Marty

Clear your PM inbox & send me a message. I'll be in Rochester next Friday and am thinking of maybe bringing the shiny new 1x1 along. Gimme the shout.

rlieberg at jlgarchitects dotttt commmm

Drinkin' Buddy

Looks like there's a few more of us than you thought

I am usually 210-220 (primarily due to my close relationship with the local brewery) and like everyone says, steel is your friend. I have a Vulture that is super strong and not flexy at all. My first singlespeed was a beautiful converted 90s Kona team frame made out of columbus Nemo tubing. It was nice and light, but I could not run more than a 1.85 tires in the back because I would rub the paint off of the chainstays with the knobbies on climbs. I have RF seatpost, Azonic DH bars, RF turbines and so far they have been good to me. NOT the RF BB, though. Broke that in three months or so. I try to swap chains at least every year to keep from hurting myself.
    Got Beer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A friend and I are both on SS bikes at about 230. Both ride Cameleons with Profile cranks with Kool bmx chains.Both use Salsa cromotto bars. I ride Thompson stem and seat post..He rides a Ti Moots seatpost for a little cusion.Rhino lite wheels with Phil wood hubs. Seems to work well

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    I'm 230lbs, 6' and so far (knock on wood) haven't broken anything on my Monocog, I have downhill bars, odi lockons and a really rigid SC stem on it though, also a XT sqaure taper BB, I've had awesome luck with Shimano BB's, about the only good thing Shimano makes. On my two geared bikes I have broken a ISIS BB right in half, bike shop had a aweful time extracting the pieces out of the BB shell, tacoed a few wheels and just recently I snapped a chain on my XC bike, but I think that it was due to how it was put together more then anything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast