mtbr member

Any recent purchses of an Ionic Johnny Rotten?

I would love some insight on these frames. I have cash set aside for a SS frame thats burning a hole in my wallet, not to mention I hate riding my geared bike after 6 months of pure SSing... Anyways... Dean seems to have a good deal going with the steel ebb frame and disc mounts for $625. That is the best deal on a steel frame with an ebb and disc I can find. From what I have read Ionic/Dean has a bit of trouble quoting an accurate shipping time for thier frames and customer service sounds marginal. All of the post I have read are a couple of years old though. Has their customer service improved at all? Anyone have any pics of a newer johnny rotten? Thanks, CK
    Truffle Shuffle

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    I would love some insight on these frames. I have cash set aside for a SS frame thats burning a hole in my wallet, not to mention I hate riding my geared bike after 6 months of pure SSing... Anyways... Dean seems to have a good deal going with the steel ebb frame and disc mounts for $625. That is the best deal on a steel frame with an ebb and disc I can find. From what I have read Ionic/Dean has a bit of trouble quoting an accurate shipping time for thier frames and customer service sounds marginal. All of the post I have read are a couple of years old though. Has their customer service improved at all? Anyone have any pics of a newer johnny rotten? Thanks, CK

i've got a JR (disc only, EBB) that is about 3 years old. ( i know, not new, but at leastthis way you get some reply) to my knowledge, they haven't changed anything with the frame design. though the price is significantly higher. i paid 450.

two things: first, if you want room for larger than a 2.2 or so tire, ask for it right from the get go. stock tire clearance is minimal. i crimped my stays about 1.5 years back for more clearance, and am loving the frame even more now that i can fit a larger tire......

second: yes, it took forever to get the frame, and mine wasn't even custom sized. i ordered a stock size, and it still took about 2 months over their stated time. be prepared to wait. for my money now, unless i really wanted custom i'd go for a kona unit. disc, sliding dropouts, larger tire clearance. though if the money isn't a problem, the ionic is a sweet riding frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I can't see the chain or seat stays in your pics (which I appreciate). Ionic now says they have S-bent stays for extra tire clearance. Does your frame have the S-bent stays? or should this correct the clearance problem? I am going to call Ionic tomorrow. Thanks, CK
    Truffle Shuffle

No Justice = No Peace

Call Curtlo Too

I had a terrible experience with Dean/Ionic last year. Not just a long wait, but flat out lies from the guys in the shop, and a frame so F*Ked up I had to send it back.

Curtlo is way cooler, makes frames custom to the rider, and won't D*ck you around onthe wait times, etc...

Remember that Interbike is a couple weeks out, so any custom frame is going to take a little while if you order it today
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

giddy up!
    If I was in your shoes I'd give Curtlo a call. He's honest and builds one heck of a nice frame on the first try......

Or Teesdale, Kelly, Vicious, Strong, Hunter, etc. Oh, and check out www.ramblumtick.com......great stuff from a nice fella in Montana.

I'm one of the many who ponied up the cash and played the DEAN game....hint: the game is a long one, it's no fun and the customer is always the loser.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

I speak for the trees

ride, johnny, ride

I can't speak about the delays in delivery as I bought mine from a friend who suffers from the affliction "it's been 3 weeks since I built my last singlespeed and I need to get another one". His loss, my gain.

What I can speak to, however, is what a fine ride it is. I haven't had the opportunity to try all of the high-zoot or custom frames out there, but the JR is the finest ride I've ever been on. My only complaint is one that was raised earlier - poor rear tire clearance. But if they have S-shaped stays, then they have already changed it from my ca. 2-yr old frame.

Think long term - how long do you plan to ride your new bike? Will waiting a little longer than you'd like to get it in your hands really matter in the long run?

Medium?

Last I checked

their stock sizes had some old-school geometries with short top tubes. They seemed to be a good value for the $$ though.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    I can't see the chain or seat stays in your pics (which I appreciate). Ionic now says they have S-bent stays for extra tire clearance. Does your frame have the S-bent stays? or should this correct the clearance problem? I am going to call Ionic tomorrow. Thanks, CK

no idea if mine are new or old stays. they have a slight s bend, but not much. other than having to do my own crimp job, i've been extremely happy with the frame.

now, for the price that ionic charges now.......

for slightly more, i'd go curtlo as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

indigosky
    Anyways... Dean seems to have a good deal going with the steel ebb frame and disc mounts for $625. That is the best deal on a steel frame with an ebb and disc I can find.
    How about the Zion 853 frame w/ EBB and Disc from Jenson for $249? or are you looking for custom?

www.jollypumpkin.com
    Jan 2004

Flame Paintjob

This is what I bought off my friend:

Then I had it custom painted

And finally it's built up

Couldn't be happier with it!