mtbr member
    May 2004

Any good places to Ride in the Irvine California Area?

Hello. I will be traveling to Irvine California quite frequently over the next 6 to 8 months for work. I most likely will be there for two weeks at a time and I would like to ride on the weekends. Can anyone give me information on local trails, bike shops etc. I would like to find a bike shop that might rent a bike or possible let me ship out and store one of my bicycles. Maybe one of you fellow single speeders would be willing to show an Ohio boy around.
    Thanks.

Not because I'm fast.....

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by onegearmorebeer
    Hello. I will be traveling to Irvine California quite frequently over the next 6 to 8 months for work. I most likely will be there for two weeks at a time and I would like to ride on the weekends. Can anyone give me information on local trails, bike shops etc. I would like to find a bike shop that might rent a bike or possible let me ship out and store one of my bicycles. Maybe one of you fellow single speeders would be willing to show an Ohio boy around.
    Thanks.
    I no longer live in the area, but there are plenty of local places to ride within 15-45 minutes of Irvine. Try The Path Bike Shop on First street in Tustin (Tustin is the next city over from Irvine) as a starting place. Great guys, wonderful shop, and they will be happy to hook you up with trail info or any other singlespeed needs. Also, I am sure some of the SoCal SSers that post on this forum will chime in and hook up for a ride too.

Have fun and enjoy the SoCal weather!

SSped
    Jan 2004

If it ever stops raining

We can get the Hell out of here and ride. There are tons of great riding around here. Let us know when you will be here and we can show ya a good time. You should bring your bike with you cuz rentals are usually expensive. Aso bring lights if you can. Some of us do a bit of night riding. as for Bike shops See our Boyz at The Path. They will take care of you.

Cya

Slow riding mama's boy

There's some nice riding around here.

Aliso Woods is nice and has a nice variety of riding.

El Moro is right off PCH and overlooks the Pacific Ocean, and there's some nice riding there too. (There's also some of my skin left there, as I broke a couple ribs once when getting a little rambunctious on my new Switchblade).

Whiting Ranch is fun and a fairly short ride. It can be extended to head up to a place called old camp and a nice run down a singletrack called "the luge".

A really good local shop (although they don't do rentals, I don't think) is Rock N Road in Laguna Niguel (right near Aliso Woods).

Drop me a message or post before you come, and if I'm available I'd be happy to show you around, and might even be able to loan you a bike if we ride together and the bike fits. I've got a gunnar singlespeed and a Titus switchblade, so that might work (assuming they're both working)!

Joel

Dream it, Do it.

Lots to ride around Irvine (Some other thoughts)

The Path Bike Shop is a great place to start. I would also check out Team Basso at www.teambasso.com. I think you have to sign up for the Yahoo Groups site to view the calendar, but Team Basso rides every weekend. It's people that get together to ride and Team Basso has no membership fee.

If you want to ride, e-mail me by clicking on my Screen name. Although my riding has been pretty inconsistent with work and personal obligations, one of my goals this winter is to get my fitness back. I also have a Titus Switchblade and am building up a homegrown singlespeed from misc. parts. BTW, in the Orange County area, I would say that the don't miss ride is the San Juan Trail that starts off of Ortega Highway running between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore.

As for rentals, I think Rock-N-Road in Laguna Niguel does indeed do rentals. Also, I believe Laguna Cyclery in Laguna Beach may do rentals.

Fueled by Wahoo's

Lots to ride here.

I'll throw my hat into the ring as well. The suggestions posted so far are great. Go ahead PM me when you're in town and looking for a riding parter....we'll extend the red carpet for you.

D

ali'i hua
    well, the only riding IN Irvine is a little bit of urban on UCI's campus. other than that, all the other reccomedations are spot-on

giddy up!
    Yeah, what they said.

Ton's of good riding, 2 or 3 greats shops and a fantastic cycling community. Great people.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Fueled by Wahoo's

Actually there is some riding...

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    well, the only riding IN Irvine is a little bit of urban on UCI's campus. other than that, all the other reccomedations are spot-on
    in the Turtle Rock area. Nothing I would consider long or epic, but if you had only an hour to go out and ride, there is some fun little up-and-down singletrack in and around the homes up there. It is somewhat of a stretch, I know...

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkSSter
    in the Turtle Rock area. Nothing I would consider long or epic, but if you had only an hour to go out and ride, there is some fun little up-and-down singletrack in and around the homes up there. It is somewhat of a stretch, I know...
    why its not really worth mentioning

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Guys. There appears to be several good areas to ride. I won't be able to get a bike shipped out there before I leave for this first trip, but I will be back several times.
    Some of you offered to show me around and I would like to take you up on the offer.
    Please email me a premonko@ameritech.net and we can make arrangements. I will be there from 1/16 through 1/29.
    Thanks and I hope the weather out there improves because I can ride in the rain here in Ohio!