mtbr member

Any difference between the SRAM 8sp chains?

I eat through my 890is, replacing them every 3 months (2,000 miles).
    Before I order more of these babies ($25 each...), I wonder if I should downgrade to 870 or even 850.

Has anyone noticed any difference in peformace, weight, longetivity, durablity within the SRAM 8 family?

Thanks for wasting your time...
    Last edited by Climber999; 10-23-2010 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    the finish on the chains are about the only difference i notice.

Retro Grouch
    As climber999 said the only difference between 890, 870 and 850 is the plating, they are all rated with the same minimal tensile strength. If I might ask, what are you doing to break these chains? Are you Sampson or do you ride 100 miles a day?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any difference between the SRAM 8sp chains?-sram.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    As climber999 said the only difference between 890, 870 and 850 is the plating, they are all rated with the same minimal tensile strength. If I might ask, what are you doing to break these chains? Are you Sampson or do you ride 100 miles a day?
    Thanks Brad,

I ride my Monstercross 30 to 40 miles 4 to 5 times a week. Every couple of weeks I go for a longer one -- 70 or 90 miles.
    The gear inch ratio is high (70, which is 42/16), so I guess every three months they stretch and I cannot use the power link to open up the chain for cleaning, which gets me frustrated. Then I put a new chain on...

Any idea about the plating? Is that just to prevent rust, or also more friendly to the cog/chain ring?