Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SSOD

Any Bianchi Rigids

I'm looking at getting a rigid for my WUSS and haven't ever toyed with one before so just would like some feedback if my measurements jive. I've got a 100mm sus fork with a AC of 465 with 20mm sag = Rigid fork @ 445mm AC.

Don't know much about degrees of rake either but what should I look for as kinda the standard? Thanks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    look for a puss fork and paint it white maybe? I kow they came with a rigid fork, and it's the same frame as the wuss.
    BTW, your frame is designed for an 80mm fork, so the bianchi forks will be geometry corrected for that.

SSOD
    Yeah I've read that that frame is designed for 80mm but I've tinkered a lot to find what feels best and ended up running 100mm fork with only a 10mm spacer between the stem and headset. Tried it at 80mm with 20mm spacer and it felt too squirelly on technical stuff and after couple endo's decided to go back to 100. Got my riding position to where it is aggressive but still can stay on the bike for 4 hours with no problems.

What I want to get is something that is similar to my current riding position, but what your saying ISuckAtRiding is to go with a 80mm sus corrected fork and make my adjustments between my headset and stem?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew
    Yeah I've read that that frame is designed for 80mm but I've tinkered a lot to find what feels best and ended up running 100mm fork with only a 10mm spacer between the stem and headset. Tried it at 80mm with 20mm spacer and it felt too squirelly on technical stuff and after couple endo's decided to go back to 100. Got my riding position to where it is aggressive but still can stay on the bike for 4 hours with no problems.

What I want to get is something that is similar to my current riding position, but what your saying ISuckAtRiding is to go with a 80mm sus corrected fork and make my adjustments between my headset and stem?
    i hear ya, i run a 100mm on my puss as well. But, it is really raked out.... way more than ideal, but i deal with it because i dont have an 80mm and i really only ride that bike on the gnarly stuff where a little slower steering isnt going to hurt, but the slacker head tube angle will help.

As for what you should go with, that's entirely up to you... but an 80mm geometry corrected fork is going to handle more like it was designed to, which is fast turning, nimble, and very cross country-ish. If that is good or bad is entirely up to you, but stem spacers wont change how it handles. It will only change your riding position.

I guess what you need to figure out is if the sketchyness was due to the riding position or the steeper rake that a shorter fork gives you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My friend liked the 1x1 fork better than his PUSS fork. I'd go for the 1x1 or the Salsa CroMoto.

Low Rep Count
    White Brothers! Simple enough. They make a 445 which is equivalent to an 80mm and a 465 which would be closer to 100mm. In either case they will be lighter than the cromo deal, take some of the sting out of the ride, cost more, but have the BLING of carbon! Love mine!

Teen Wolf
    I have a white bros 445 on my bianchi lewis, it's great.

SSOD
    1SPD and cr45h, I like that fork a lot and have heard good things. I'm thinking about getting one.

Jul 2006
    As much of a carbon fan as i am, i do not care for my carbon fork. It sends a sharp shock through the bars when i hit something hard, where the steel fork seemed to deaden it a bit. Granted, this is on my cross bike, so it will naturally be more noticable with the skinny tires and high psi. Chances are it will be much better on a legit mtb, but i've also heard complaints there as well.

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    As much of a carbon fan as i am, i do not care for my carbon fork. It sends a sharp shock through the bars when i hit something hard, where the steel fork seemed to deaden it a bit. Granted, this is on my cross bike, so it will naturally be more noticable with the skinny tires and high psi. Chances are it will be much better on a legit mtb, but i've also heard complaints there as well.
    Funny you say this because I'm not a big carbon fan for mtb but for all the arguing I've heard I think my prejudice is more mental than anything. I'm not a heavy guy so flex isn't going to be as much of a problems as others have complained about with carbon, but for the price of the WB fork I can get two nicish steel forks. Plus I've heard nice steel can be more comfortable feeling than carbon so WTF? Your opinion is appreciated though.

mtbr member
    i have a pace carbon rigid fork on my bianchi. it's the origninal BuSS, still going strong.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Funny you say this because I'm not a big carbon fan for mtb but for all the arguing I've heard I think my prejudice is more mental than anything. I'm not a heavy guy so flex isn't going to be as much of a problems as others have complained about with carbon, but for the price of the WB fork I can get two nicish steel forks. Plus I've heard nice steel can be more comfortable feeling than carbon so WTF? Your opinion is appreciated though.
    Not sure if there is a steel v. carbon consensus. I'm a little surprised by the a-c lengths on some of these forks. Seems tall, but...

Retro Grouch
    I have a Bianchi SASS and the OEM fork is 420mm A-C
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The White fork is a rebadged Sasso fork. It is also the same as the Origin 8 , Fetish, Lynsky,Exotic,and others.

http://www.mekkem-parts.com/products...d=21&lang_id=0

All Bianchi SS forks have the same AC and rake.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    White Brothers! Simple enough. They make a 445 which is equivalent to an 80mm and a 465 which would be closer to 100mm. In either case they will be lighter than the cromo deal, take some of the sting out of the ride, cost more, but have the BLING of carbon! Love mine!
    False. A quality custom steel is almost as light as crabon and the same cost (not to mention better ridability). And "...BLING of carbon!" You have got to be joking...

Stew - forget crabon, you already know from our discussions I am not a fan. My custom WaltWorks fork comes in tomorrow. Will give you in the inside scoop once I get the test ride. You can borrow my MUSS steel fork to try out. Otherwise, add the custom steel fork option into your research. I'll catch up with you on Google to chat more on the subject.

SSOD
    Dixie Whiskey your right. I know from research I can find a really good light steel fork for what those WBs cost and honestly, for an ALum frame, don't know if I want to dirty it up with carbon forks. Stu how long is your steel fork vs the WaltWorks you just bought- A-C?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    really? walt can do a 550 gram steel fork that that can handle a 200 pounds rider??
    most of walt's forks were close to 2 pounds weren't they? not really "close"

as fro ridability? i will gladly go out on a limb and state that the niner carbon fork i'm riding is the smoothest rigid fork i've ever been on.
    only 27 years of riding though so not exactly the "voice of experience" here.

you don't have be a fan to admit it has advantages.
    i still like steel anyways, just not blinded by the "cromo convincing crew"

material appropriate to the application, if the guy's worried about grams, carbon's the answer.
    if he wants smooth and cheap then steel's great.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

metrotuned WoS

Bonking ... not feelin' well Bianchi SASS Rigid 26" Singlespeed

420 a-to-c Pace RC31 carbon fork, see attached. The Bianchi 26" SS frames are designed for a 420-440 a-to-c as an 80mm suspension fork is ideal. I ran the stock rigid steel unicrown fork, the carbon fork and an 80mm suspension fork - the FOX Terralogic was the best feeling for any conditions.

metrotuned Bianchi SASS:

#willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Teen Wolf
    1SPD and cr45h, I like that fork a lot and have heard good things. I'm thinking about getting one.
    I have 2 of them, 1 on my 26" 1 on my 29"

MTB NOLA
    Dixie, don't knock it til you try it!! Cross over to the carbon side, Crosstown
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Bianchi Rigids-650b-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    really? walt can do a 550 gram steel fork that that can handle a 200 pounds rider??
    most of walt's forks were close to 2 pounds weren't they? not really "close"
    Obviously the custom fork is going to fit the weight and the riding style of the specific rider. I’m 170lbs so I don’t need a beefier fork that a 200lb rider may require. WB 26” crabon fork is 740g, my proposed custom fork is in the 800g range (I haven’t gotten it yet to weigh and will have to cut the steerer tube also, I believe Walt told me for every inch cut subtracts 50g). So hypothetically if my fork weighs 840g, 100g difference to the carbon is approx. is 0.22 lbs, I’d call that “close” assessment.

PS - the carbon Niner fork can't really compare to the Sasso branded crabon forks. Much better by design from what I have read and researched.

MTB NOLA
    contrary to others post. i don't believe that the white bros. forks are the same "just rebadged" as the other carbon forks mentioned, Exotic, Fetish, and Origin 8. though, i think that the Fetish and Origin 8 brands use the same fork ends (look at the casting) making them closer to being same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Bianchi Rigids-rock-solid.jpg  

Any Bianchi Rigids-fetishcarbonfork.jpg  

Any Bianchi Rigids-origin8.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by vudu; 10-05-2010 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vudu or should I say Ricky's mom.........

Dude its pretty common for bike "manufactures" to sub contract work out. I double dog dare you to contact Mekkem and see if they'll ship you some forks. Don't be shocked if they ask you how you want the carbon wrap to look and what you want the stickers to look like.

As far as which materials go......I'll say it one last time its not about what its made from its about how its made. I can get a 1" thick steel rod and make a fork out of it. Or I can use some very nice Columbus fork tubes with a nice bend and make a nice crown. Which one will ride better? Same with carbon, screw the weave and thread count up and you'll knock your fillings out. Why do you think I had that Winwood Purist fork for less then a month. Hey it was carbon but that Bianchi fork rode way nicer. And the X-Fusion fork works even better for my old tired a--. I have a very nice Alpha Q fork on the road bike. Works better then the Specialized fork I took off also carbon.

You riding Saturday?

Tim

Ovaries on the Outside
    Glad we nailed down so many facts in this thread. Anywho, the best fork is the one you can ride on. That gives it the edge over the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Glad we nailed down so many facts in this thread. Anywho, the best fork is the one you can ride on. That gives it the edge over the other ones.
    Facts? Like there is such a thing on this entire forum?

I'm a numbers guy, so the weight difference analysis speaks for itself (along with conversations & research with others that have ridden both). If Tim's analysis rings true with the unpredictable nature of crabon weave i.e. how it’s made, etc. at least with steel you know the durability and nature of response.

I tend to think the whole comparison is rather funny how someone is always quick to point out the “bling” dilemma – I know that makes a huge difference in my riding feel. Of course that’s a matter of opinion, a mouthful of gold teeth is pretty bling while you are riding too (although I might go for a steel grill).

My next fork will be made out of balsa wood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast