Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Antidote to MonsterCross?

945 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Velobike 
#1 ·
Went for a road ride today, but decided it was too boring. Instead headed up the StrathPuffer track (winter 24hr race) with my Dahon. Rode the whole track.

The wee bike handled it quite well even though I was on road gearing.

Big bonus with the little wheels - no bumbuzz from the rear knobbly when you get your weight off the back on the fast downhills.

Anyone else like little wheels?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It was, but with skinny tyres at 75 psi it rolled very nicely. It was hard work but still do able.

Edit - the gearing isn't that high. It needs the big front ring because it's got a small wheel. Gearing is around 62"

#6 · (Edited)
robcycle said:
Does that bike fold or pack smaller?

Tell me about that fork ...

Cool bike, I bet you had a blast taking it off road....
It's one of Dahon's "minibike" range. They don't actually fold but they are designed to take up the minimum of space. As standard they come with folding pedals (which I have replaced with detachable MKS pedals) and the stem is an NVO which means you can whip it off without disturbing the headset. The end result is a very thin package which won't take up much space in your hallway, for example, or in my case means I can squeeze it into a shed already crammed with bikes. The idea is shown on the Dahon Hammerhead site. Unless you need your bike to fold for commuting purposes I reckon the skinny minibike concept is the best space saver because it is a proper bike.

The fork is a German-A design licensed and made by Dahon. It's not got a huge amount of movement but it's effective and helps the bike ride as if it has larger wheels. I didn't notice it bottoming so either I wasn't riding it hard enough or it's got a progressive movement.

I regard this as my do-anything-fun bike. It always gets me grinning when I'm riding it. I've done a road century on it without any trouble and it gets poked into all sort of places you wouldn't take a road bike. The bike is light and handles well - the frame is doublebutted 7005. The Marathon Racer tyres are tough but light so I don't have to worry about punctures. I always wanted a Burro, but the Hammerhead will do for now :)

This bike looks silly next to my 29er, but it's just as much fun.

If you are getting a bit bored with normal riding, I recommend doing the same ride on a small wheeled bike, just don't expect to break any speed records :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.