Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    About half way down. One of my favorite comments regarding SS. lol

How can I stop breaking Sh*t

The last line... LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda
    You guys and your stupid SS rigid comments. It seems like anytime someone with a hard-on for a SS gets a chance to suggest it they do. WTF?

How do I climb better....get a SS
    Which squishy fork should I get.....go SS Rigid.
    How do I lighten my bike up....go F yourself.

mtbr member
    I've probably said this before, but around where I live no-one gives a monkey's ass what bike I or anyone else rides. We don't have single speed classes in races either, you're just in there with everyone else, which is how it should be IMHO. Otherwise why not have 1x10 class, 29er class, rigid fork class and so on, ad infinitum......?

Plenty of roadies ride single speeds, by the way - they certainly used to be a favourite winter training bike BITD, I don't know about now 'cos I'm old and out of touch.
    Anyway, if I can summon the enthusiasm I'm off out in the lovely mix of snow and mud that we have around here. Whether I'll take my SS or my FS 69er remains to be seen, no-one will care one way or the other though. That's if I even see anyone else, they've all probably got better things to do than venture out in this crap weather .

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Some people just can't stand hipster posers with a fixie in the latest colors. Including retro fitted brakes because they actually can't ride fixed. I think it's more that than people being anti-single speed ;-)

mtbr member
    Can someone be anti-singlespeeder attitude but pro-singlespeeding?

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Singlespeeds are like abortions.

It's simple. Against abortion? Don't have one.

=S
    Thanks for the smile and giggle today sparti!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Can someone be anti-singlespeeder attitude but pro-singlespeeding?
    There is no "singlespeeder attitude".

There are people who are pushy and narrow-minded enough to preach their preference as a universal truth to anyone they might meet. Some of them ride singlespeeds, but you'll find these dimwits in all walks of life giving a bad name to any hobby, religion or ideology they happen to support.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    There is no "singlespeeder attitude".

There are people who are pushy and narrow-minded enough to preach their preference as a universal truth to anyone they might meet. Some of them ride singlespeeds, but you'll find these dimwits in all walks of life giving a bad name to any hobby, religion or ideology they happen to support.
    Washington DC is filled with them! Seriously, I do sometimes mention to people out on the trail that they should give it a try - but only after they act like I'm super human for going up a little hill. Most people think it's harder than it really is. Spinning up a hill slower than a hiker looks terrible to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Spinning up a hill slower than a hiker looks terrible to me.

I agree with that statement as it stands, however in the context that it was written (geared riders are slow up hills) I don't. Riders have many valid reasons for being slow but having a derailleur on their bike isn't one of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I agree with that statement as it stands, however in the context that it was written (geared riders are slow up hills) I don't. Riders have many valid reasons for being slow but having a derailleur on their bike isn't one of them.
    Agreed. For what it's worth I've had geared riders kick my butt up hill too. Some are fit and some are not. I just hate slow suffering. Even backpacking at altitude, my wife and I push up hill at a fairly quick pace while some just inch along at a snails pace taking like twice as long to get up a pass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    . I just hate slow suffering.
    Amen brother! I'm wired the same way.

mtbr member
    Gears don't necessarily make climbing easier. It takes the very same amount of energy to move a bike + rider with a certain weight up a hill at a certain speed. If you climb at a decent cadence, the climb will be easier for you because SS bikes are more efficient: less moving parts and a straight chainline. Climbing on a geared bike is only easier if the gradient is so steep that your cadence on the SS would drop too much to be efficient.

As obvious as this sounds when it's spelled out for you, I realized this in a way that made me feel really dumb: I changed my freewheel from 16t to 18t and went riding, and wondered why the hills felt exactly as hard to climb as before. Well of course they were as hard, because I was climbing them as fast as before. I was only spinning faster.

mtbr member
    Gears don't necessarily make climbing easier. It takes the very same amount of energy to move a bike + rider with a certain weight up a hill at a certain speed. If you climb at a decent cadence, the climb will be easier for you because SS bikes are more efficient: less moving parts and a straight chainline. Climbing on a geared bike is only easier if the gradient is so steep that your cadence on the SS would drop too much to be efficient.
    It may take the same energy to move x mass to y elevation but humans have a limited power range. If available torque were no obstacle then I could put it in a 53-11 and cruise up some switchbacks at 7 rpm no problem. I agree with your last statement but think that I leave that rpm range at which I remain efficient on my SS fairly often. If a hill is short enough I like to attack it in as tall a gear as possible (a lot of times my SS is just right ) and get to the flatland or DH ASAP. Lot's of times the climbs are long though and you have to conserve somewhat, if the grade is steep enough that my cadence drops below 50 or so (a guess) then I am forced to stand in order to maintain. I don't mind standing, kind of like it actually but on a long climb it helps me to get on and off the saddle. If I can't do that (due to to high a gear) then I may crest the hill in record time but be in complete oxygen debt and nearly unable to function.

A lot of times it's not much for me, I'll be on a climb and pacing someone on a geared bike, or a SS with a few teeth less on the rear and though we are going the same speed I know from experience that I am more efficient at 70 some rpm than 50 and would arrive at the top at the same time with more juice in the tank by staying closer to my optimum rpm range.

My SS is one of my favorite bikes ever but it does have some liabilities as well as assets.

mtbr member

Very True

As obvious as this sounds when it's spelled out for you, I realized this in a way that made me feel really dumb: I changed my freewheel from 16t to 18t and went riding, and wondered why the hills felt exactly as hard to climb as before. Well of course they were as hard, because I was climbing them as fast as before. I was only spinning faster.
    The efficiency of a single speed drive train makes climbing easier even though it's harder. Also as you found out that less gear inches does not make for an easier climb. I run 34/18 on my Surly KM. Sort of a tall ratio but I can climb if I pick my line and hammer it. Some times I push but thats OK. I rode my brothers Mono Cog 29er 33/20 and climbing was not much easier, maybe a little tougher due to the fact that I was spinning more. The same thing happened on my road bike on some country rides. I climbed the steepest road I have ever seen with a 39/53 double crankset. I changed to a SRAM Rival compact drive 34/50 crank and tried the same hill thinking now that I would own it. Man was I wrong, I got my ass handed to me 3/4 of the way up. I was shocked. Too much spinning!

mtbr member
    I suspect an elite group of hipster fixies behind all this anti-ss bizness!

B.Ike
    I'm anti spinning class.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    There was a guy a few months ago at white clay on a single speed cross bike that was working me pretty good as I followed him. Not a lot of climbing at that place but I still felt pretty lame. ha
    White Clay DE? I've only been there once, so doubt it's me, but when I was I was on my SS Iro Psychocross. Buddy rode my SS Troll.

The only scary part was pulling the first manual on a roller. Almost launched myself into space. :P kinda forgot the three to four pound difference up front!

mtbr member
    Amen to anti spinning class.

Pedal Damn It!
    I have a friend who keeps telling me I'm going to hate riding once I finish building my One 9. I don't really understand all the negativity toward only having one gear. I grew up riding a BMX bike up all of the steep hills and after riding a geared bike for a few years I'm bored with having so many options. I'm tired of derailers skipping between gears on a climb or bending a derailer hanger. I'm looking forward to the challenge that SS will bring to the trails here in Oregon. I'm also going rigid and tubeless to eliminate any extra parts or pieces that could fail.

Cyclists in general need to be more positive toward every person who chooses to ride a bicycle these days with video games and television taking over the world. If we don't band together then the bicycle lanes will go away and the trails will be closed for conservation of the environment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I can't call myself a singlespeeder because I'm not yet... but when I told my buddies I was building one, my friend said, "Carrie I'm worried about you. I think you're going in the wrong direction!"

It sorta annoyed me. Mostly because yes, he and I are going in different directions. He's getting more into the DH and sorta quit "pushing it" with climbing. I'm trying to get fitter and stronger and maybe commit to racing this summer. So to say that different means there's a right and wrong and he's right... well, it really sorta pissed me off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Singlespeed xc bikes made ME a better rider. I'm. A clyde and faster than most of the " kit" sporting want to be racers. Its not because of my bike choice its because I love to ride my bike and I work on it every time I'm on it.
    Chris King Cielo
    Vassago Optimus Ti (2013)
    Vassago VerHauen 2nd Gen
    Ragley TD:1

mtbr member
    I've a bike with 9 gears, IT'S FRIGG'N AWESOME.

I'VE ALSO a BIKE with 27 GEARS...IT'S FREAK'N AWEsome.

I've also, ALSO a bike with 1 gear...It's frigg'n, FREAK'N awesOME.

A few years back, riding a SS was an oddity in St. Louis, Mo. area. Now, it's no big deal. People ride what they like, no one at any trailhead or trail I've been on has anything negative to say...curious...sure, but that's great.

The reason I started riding SS is because it was a curiosity for me...

SS is my go to bike when it's snowy, I'm stressed, my gears are screwed, or I'm in a hurry. But...I still ride the other bikes, LOVE them all.

As someone else stated, you despise what you don't understand.

Ride what you want, smile, fall over, finish the ride, have a beer in the lot, talk about bikes with the other riders. All good.

mtbr member
    I always laugh when the same guy(s) who give me crap for riding a single speed are stopped on the side of the trail clearing a nest of moss out of their drivetrain. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So the other day I was explaining what a fixed gear bike is, and they thought I was talking about a stationary bike...

Go figure....

mtbr member
    I catch alot of grief for riding my fixed road bike. I though about it though and i built that bike for two reasons. 1: It was insanely cheaper and i am a broke mf'er 2: I am looking at getting into XC and wanted to build my legs. I paid less than $200 for my fixed and love it. Not to mention my already large legs are solid as a rock and i'm climbing hills on my new ss mtb like they are flat land. Everything has a reason. Who cares if the jerk off next to you gets it. Do what you do, ride what you ride, and go where you want. Just don't be upset when the SS guys are there waiting on you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3