Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good Point

I forgot to tell them about the Rigid part.
    And that I'm more than 2X their age

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Damn Kids!...LOL

Keep rigid singlespeeding my friend

+1rep delivered

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Singlespeeds are like abortions.

It's simple. Against abortion? Don't have one.

=S
    In that case I only condone single speeds in cases of rape and incest.

It's a bike, not a choice. Or maybe it's a choice in biking. I'm not really sure.
    Mind your own religion.

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Singlespeeds are like abortions.
    Simile of the day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    I think a lot of folks have the philosophy that biking is all about maximizing speed and efficiency. And some aspects of the sport are about those things. So when is comes to SS, it just doesn't compute to those folks why you would intentionally limit your speed and efficiency in some (lol, most?) circumstances.

In my experience, the guys who are most focused on things like racing, cadence, speed, efficiency, weight, etc. are the ones least interested in SS. Goofing off and just having fun on a bike with no thought to total elapsed times or calories burned just doesn't compute to them. For the same reason, these are the folks to which all the high-tech components have the most appeal.

Then you have some folks who enjoy both.
    Exactly why I chose rigid ss. I used to live in BC with a dirt jumper and down hill bikes. Now that I live in Manitoba with bunny hills as mountains , I opted for rigid ss to make it more interesting. Of course, if I was to participate in a race with determination to win, I would go for suspension and gears without thinking twice.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Stock, but with upgrades.
    1. SS is the most fun on two wheels.
    2. Roadies are anti-SS.
    1&2 = They are anti-the most FUN on two wheels.

Friends don't let friends ride road bikes (at least, not exclusively.)
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dms1818 View Post
    I was talking to a couple of roadies next to me at an early A.M. spin class today. No big deal that they're roadies, we're all bikers. I mentioned that I ride road and Single Speed MTB. They said " Actually we're anti single speed". ..
    Well I can see why roadies are anti-single speed, especially those who are dumbfounded when I cruise past them on climbs with fat tires running SS. Crushing them riding fat tired geared bikes is also fun but slightly less fulfilling

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Well I can see why roadies are anti-single speed, especially those who are dumbfounded when I cruise past them on climbs with fat tires running SS. Crushing them riding fat tired geared bikes is also fun but slightly less fulfilling
    Ooooooooh... you're brutal!

=S
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

PSYCHOLUST
    Being ANTI-anything seems to always come from someone who has no experience with the thing they are so ANTI about.
    most singlespeeders used to ride geared bikes but aren't usually ANTI gears. People riding 29ers , for the most part, used to ride 26ers, but aren't anyti 26er, and so on..
    The hate always is the person who has never ridden a single speed or never tried a 29er.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough so I'll just say I HATE fixies

( just kidding)

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    All previous replies need to be quoted for a wholesome explanation to the anti ss thing.

I'm sure those anti ss gearies started on a coaster brake bike as kids. And somewhere down the line they became "shiftspoiled".

Thing is that they forget that we ss'ers have our gears too, by way of giving our bodies more advantage via positioning for power, traction, spin, etc.

Yes, we do it by sliding forward or back on the saddle, pulling more or less on the upstroke, dropping heels, rocking body, pulling handlebars, pushing bike, etc, etc...seated. Did i say, standing up? yeah, more rocking, pulling, pushing, diving, etc, etc.

Get fit, dammit.

Gearies just nail themselves to the saddle and tick tock goes the shifter. Lifeless. Boring. Maybe good for a road bike where tuck may help to cheat the wind. On a mtb? Contra natura.

Ohhh ! You climbed that hill? On a singlespeed? Yes i did, and in the process, i left you behind with your tick tock shift thing bruto....(I do love my geared friends questions, though)

I'm not against gears ! LOL....nuff ranting.

Be well...
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Maybe they were so stupid that they thought you only go one speed and they were trying to assert that they like to go all different speeds. The only thing that is obvious is that they were stupid and probably still are even right now.

surly inbred
    I've always been anti-self-justification, myself.

mtbr member
    I entered my first MTB race. It's in 2 weeks. I'm sure there will be very few Single Speeds, if any in the 50-59 age group (better late than never). I am emotionally prepared to get crushed. But it will be interesting to see for myself how SS's compete with geared bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I've always been anti-self-justification, myself.

Words to live by IMO.

mtbr member
    I'm sure they meant "anti," as in "opposite of" not "opposed to." Cadence and gearing obsession is part of the experience for a lot of folks, road and trail...

mtbr member
    Dms1818: Then we all rocked through the 1 hour class. I was impressed though that these two 20 year old road bikers were able to keep up with a 53 year old single speeder.

How do you know they kept up with you in a spin class?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I entered my first MTB race. It's in 2 weeks. I'm sure there will be very few Single Speeds, if any in the 50-59 age group (better late than never). I am emotionally prepared to get crushed. But it will be interesting to see for myself how SS's compete with geared bikes.
    Hey man congrats, sign up, line up, and have fun, as far as I'm concerned you already WON!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I too am a little new to the SS thing (29er). Coming off a FS 26er, it is quite a difference. But my intention was to enjoy riding more and to keep me fit. I have also entered my first race of the season and intend to do it on my SS. The worst thing I will probably hear: "Wow, you did that on a SS?" The best thing I won't hear but someone else might hear: "Wow, that guy beat you?! He was on a steel SS!!"

And I have to say, on my normal loop there is a short quick hill that was a tough climb on the FS 26er, thought I was going to have to hike-a-bike with the SS. Nope, right up that hill, no problem. Only thing I miss is traction on a standing climb, the FS was pretty good in that department.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm only anti single-speeding if I can't keep up with you.

mtbr member
    The best thing I won't hear but someone else might hear: "Wow, that guy beat you?! He was on a steel SS!!"
    my normal loop there is a short quick hill that was a tough climb on the FS 26er, thought I was going to have to hike-a-bike with the SS. Nope, right up that hill, no problem. Only thing I miss is traction on a standing climb, the FS was pretty good in that department.[/QUOTE]

I've read about how well SS's compete with gears all the time
    I'm hoping to do well in my age group and not get a helicopter ride to the E.R.
    I know I won't be passing any younger riders on race bikes.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule View Post
    Anyway, I've gone on long enough so I'll just say I HATE fixies

( just kidding)
    It's a thin line between love and hate.
    Responds to gravity

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    There was a guy a few months ago at white clay on a single speed cross bike that was working me pretty good as I followed him. Not a lot of climbing at that place but I still felt pretty lame. ha

mtbr member
    About half way down. One of my favorite comments regarding SS. lol

How can I stop breaking Sh*t

Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    . But it will be interesting to see for myself how SS's compete with geared bikes.
    it's the rider...not the gears, or lack of.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by 4nbstd View Post
    About half way down. One of my favorite comments regarding SS. lol

How can I stop breaking Sh*t

Holy ****, LMFAO. Precious.
    Responds to gravity

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast