Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Another XTR M960 SS conversion...

I pick up a used M960 on eBay for $86 shipped ( ), hacked it up, and have sent it off for black ceramic coating. The crank arms started out at 537 grams, and were trimmed to 500 grams. The total with BB and rings should add up to around 640 grams. It'll get one of ISAR's aluminum chain rings. All told, it'll be about 170 grams lighter than my current Hone crankset, and a lot prettier.

I'll post some more pictures up when it get's back, early week after next.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Nice find! Post up post-coating pictures please! More importantly, is 960 really SS worthy (stiff)?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    ... More importantly, is 960 really SS worthy (stiff)?
    most definitely

did that to a set for my racer-x SS.....tre'-sexblingtastico!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Nice find! Post up post-coating pictures please! More importantly, is 960 really SS worthy (stiff)?
    Um. Yes.

The M960 is as stiff as anything out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm curious... how much does it cost to powder coat a crankset? I sanded off the XTR finish and have been running them raw, but I've been thinking about sending them out for a clearcoat.

Single Speed Junkie
    Saw a bead blasted finish that looked real nice on a set of M960. As far as PC don't think it would be that expensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My local powder coating place quoted me a price of $80. Having them ceramic coated through Shawnee is the better option.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've received the chainring for ISAR, and I'm quite impressed with it. The finish work is great, and it only weighs 30 grams (compared to 40g for a Shimano 32t). It's damn sexy and a great value. Once I'm sure it mounts up without issue, I'll order at least one spare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been running a blackspire mono veloce with great success. My experience has been that they're resonobly light and durable. I've got one spare, and I might pick up a couple more because I'm worried that they'll stop making them at some point... Which virtually leads me into rant mode.

I love this crankset. I think its the best design out there: Its light, its stiff, its easily removeable, and its sexy. What I absolutely hate is that Shimano decided that it'd be a good idea to use a proprietary bolt pattern on these. I mean, really... whats the point?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree it's the best design Shimano's made, period. The bearing preload and crank arm attachment system is much better than the new XTR's, and I think it's much better looking. The one piece spider and arm is beautiful.

Like you, the proprietary BCD really pissed me off, however, there are several ways to get chainrings for it aside from just Blackspire, which I feel really helps mitigate that one draw back. They're available from Blackspire, ISAR, and Mattias. I'm sure there are other people making them as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    I agree it's the best design Shimano's made, period. The bearing preload and crank arm attachment system is much better than the new XTR's, and I think it's much better looking. The one piece spider and arm is beautiful.

Like you, the proprietary BCD really pissed me off, however, there are several ways to get chainrings for it aside from just Blackspire, which I feel really helps mitigate that one draw back. They're available from Blackspire, ISAR, and Mattias. I'm sure there are other people making them as well.
    I've got plenty of 32 & 34t in Stainless...

Ovaries on the Outside
    The XTR is my favorite four bolt crank, as it is about the only one that makes beefy elegant.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Word. I don't like how angular the new XTR is. It just looks clunky.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    the m960 is one of my favorite cranks, cant wait to see it after ceramic coating. Thanks again for choosing my ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I received the crank back from ceramic coat! Shawnee (Crazy8) did a terrific job with the ceramic coating and it looks terrific. He put on a satin finish, and the after talking with him I didn't put a polished finish on it before coating, and it came out slightly textured which I really like. The rougher texture apparently also makes the ceramic much stronger, so definitely a win-win. I did the prep work since I enjoy working with metal and to save some money, but Crazy8 is happy to do it for you for a nominal fee. A huge recommendation for Shawnee.

Weight for the crank arms with preload bolt and titanium pinch bolts is excellent at 503g.

ISAR's chainring mounted up beautifully without any issues and looks really good:

The total without the bottom bracket came out at 541g, which I'm extremely happy about:

Working with both ISAR and Shawnee (Crazy8) was a great experience. They both did excellent work for a good price, and stayed in communication with me the whole time. I highly recommend both.

Total money spent without shipping:

XTR M960 crankset - $71
    ISAR chainring - $35
    ceramic coating (I did prep work) - $100

Total -------- $206

It is worth every penny doing this, and this should be your first option if you're looking for a SS crankset.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

ISAR's chainring mounted up beautifully without any issues and looks really good:

...Total money spent without shipping:

XTR M960 crankset - $71
    ISAR chainring - $35

Total -------- $206

It is worth every penny doing this, and this should be your first option if you're looking for a SS crankset.
    DAYUM!....SAHweet!
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Jul 2006
    I received the crank back from ceramic coat! Shawnee (Crazy8) did a terrific job with the ceramic coating and it looks terrific. He put on a satin finish, and the after talking with him I didn't put a polished finish on it before coating, and it came out slightly textured which I really like. The rougher texture apparently also makes the ceramic much stronger, so definitely a win-win. I did the prep work since I enjoy working with metal and to save some money, but Crazy8 is happy to do it for you for a nominal fee. A huge recommendation for Shawnee.

Weight for the crank arms with preload bolt and titanium pinch bolts is excellent at 503g.

The total without the bottom bracket came out at 541g, which I'm extremely happy about:

Working with both ISAR and Shawnee (Crazy8) was a great experience. They both did excellent work for a good price, and stayed in communication with me the whole time. I highly recommend both.

Total money spent without shipping:

XTR M960 crankset - $71
    ISAR chainring - $35

Total -------- $206

First off, that looks great, good call on the ceramic coating, nice work Shawnee.
    Secondly, thanks for the good review, much appreciated
    I agree, that is still my favorite crankset, with or without my rings. They just work well, and they have personality. It's deffinately not your average looking crankset. Plus, you just cant go wrong with that weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks sweet. Hoping to order mine soon.

mtbr member
    I see the arms were delivered. They look good with ISAR's black anodized ring mounted. Assembled weight is nice and light too.

Like ISAR said I appreciate your business, photo's, and review, bad mechanic. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about the performance of this custom crank-set after some hard rides.

Like your work with the rings and cogs ISAR. I'm going to have to order a couple and see how they take ceramic coating.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8
    I see the arms were delivered. They look good with ISAR's black anodized ring mounted. Assembled weight is nice and light too.

Like ISAR said I appreciate your business, photo's, and review, bad mechanic. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about the performance of this custom crank-set after some hard rides.

Like your work with the rings and cogs ISAR. I'm going to have to order a couple and see how they take ceramic coating.
    Thanks! i'd love to see your coating on my stuff, i think that would be the icing on the cake. Expecially with the aluminum cogs and rings... light weight with decent wear life. We should put together a Shawnee-ized Homebrewed line .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy8
    Can't wait to hear what you have to say about the performance of this custom crank-set after some hard rides.
    Well, so long as they don't loosen up on me or fall off the bike, I'll be happy! To me, a crankset is like headset where, if it works well, you simply don't think about it.

mtbr member
    Sounds very interesting. I'll be in touch with you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Thanks! i'd love to see your coating on my stuff, i think that would be the icing on the cake. Expecially with the aluminum cogs and rings... light weight with decent wear life. We should put together a Shawnee-ized Homebrewed line .

mtbr member
    Those cranks looks sweet, good job! Those XTR cranks are also way lighter than my ENOs with a TI bb and I have to admit, I prefer the outboard bearing to my square taper...

C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

SS or Die
    1-bar,

With the XTR BB thrown in, the cut 960's come in at about 640g which is 70 grams below your Eno's which isnt too bad, I thought it would be alot more myself.

I have a set of cut & polished 960's and with the Blackspire 32T ring comes in at 563 grams without BB. I had and old pair laying around so it was and easy choice to go at them with the saw.
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can see this becoming another square taper vs. external argument, but square taper has killed many of my crank arms, and I'm always needing to check to make sure they're still tight. With Shimano's system (don't get me started on the new XTR crankset) you can tighten it down and then never worry about it again. It is, by far, the best system out there.

My bottom bracket also spins very smoothly, and has been for two years now. My bottom bracket shell is faced, and I've replaced the bearings with Enduros.

So, with a converted M960 you get a crankset which is stiffer, has a better attachment method, is lighter, and is about $100 cheaper. In my opinion, it also looks better.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast