mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Another this or that scenario

Let me start out by saying that for the past 8 or so years I have primarily been a roadie. I got my start in what I would call serious cycling with MTB's though.

Then I recently bought a used 29r SS (2007 GF Rig...this is the one that breaks, right?) and......whoa........have I been having some fun. Worth mentioning that my go to road bike is fixed......Pacenti custom that Vicious built. If it wasn't for the socializing I do with all my roadie buds I would probably be primarily riding the Rig.

Here comes the this or that.........

I do not have unlimited bike funds dammit. Therefore, I recycle bike dollars. Gettin' ready to sell a couple of things to fund a new purchase.

Scenario #1 - Commission a new steel 29r ss rigid frame. Most everything I saw at NAHBS was in the $2300 range. I do love custom frames and, in fact, other than the Rig all my rides are custom frames. Not an elitist, I just like nice bikes and I like something different. OK, after I receive the custom frame, build it up with all the (stock) stuff from the Rig and upgrade as I go along.

Scenario #2 - Sell some stuff and upgrade the piss outta the rig. Maybe even a new Spectrum powder job.

This leads to the question of how many of these frames really break? The damn thing is comfortable as shiite and I love the weight of the frame.

Talk to me.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'd just ride it as is, try to break it. If you can't, you already have your answer.

meatier showers
    Something tells me you're not going to be satisfied until you drop some serious coin. If that's the case and you're like me, investing in the old sled won't do.

My assumptions may be wrong. If they're not, I recommend you find the best builder that works well with your personality. Here's mine, and yeah, this is a shameless recommendation: Vulture.

But the Vulture is one of many and he'll be first to say so. Regardless, in the end, based on what you've said, I believe you'll be happiest creating your own new vision.

Best of luck & non-luck,
    Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Mac & Jacks African Amber

Thers is a Third Option for Your Consideration

Tampa has an abundence of Trek dealers in the area. I would suggest you try a '09 Trek 69er SS. If you like the '07 GF Rig, I promise you will really enjoy this bike. The frame quality I believe will satisfy your desire for a "custom" due to the new hydroforming used in its construction. Anyway, I had a Rig, which lead me to the 08 Trek 3x9 69er. I also now own the 09 69er SS. It is light, strong/stiff well made and a hell of a lot of fun to ride/jump or whatever.

Surely one of the Trek dealers in your area would have one for a test ride. Give it a try and I bet you will be more than pleasently suprised.
    My Current Rides:
    '09 Trek 69er SS '08 Trek 69er 3x9 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Call up John at Dean Bikes, have him build you up a steel bike to suit your needs, i assure you it will cost hundreds less that the $2300 you mentioned. Heck you could probably have them build up the whole thing with parts for $2500...give them a call at least

mtbr member
    Yummy, custom frames oh my.

Get someone to build you a custom frame to your specs. You will be much happier in the end than something that was a factory line model.
    Ne quid nimis.
    Nothing in excess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are many fine choices in custom handbuilt steel for $1,000 less than the price you quoted. 2 that come to mind and that are very popular here are Waltworks and Quiring. A third even cheaper but really sweet option is a Curtlo. Fillet brazed steel. Yummy!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cus-tom!
    Cus-tom!
    Cus-tom!

Upgrade as time goes by.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    I'd just ride it as is, try to break it. If you can't, you already have your answer.
    Ride the wee out of your Rig....upgrade as stuff wears out/breaks. It's the fit and handling that matter, not if it's custom built. Personalize the bike with the parts you like.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Ride the wee out of your Rig....upgrade as stuff wears out/breaks. It's the fit and handling that matter, not if it's custom built. Personalize the bike with the parts you like.
    Why ride a bike built for the "average" mtb body type when you can afford to have one made exactly how you want it and to fit your body?