mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Another nice side effect of Singlespeeding i noticed

When looking at new bikes (just for fun) i no longer judge them based on the componentry level, instead, i rate them based on the important things like frame geometry, fit, and comfort, little things like what "trim level" the deraileurs are at don't bother me anymore, as to me, they're unimportant

the only problem now is that i'm constantly looking for bikes with horiz. rear drops or semi-horiz. rear drops, and they're hard to find

i'm actually tempted by a ratty old 16 speed index shift Stumpjumper with semi-horiz. drops at a local pawnshop, the frame's in good shape, as are the rims, it needs a repaint and some TLC, and they want $90 for it, i'm considering taking my paintball marker i never use and seeing what that'd be worth in trade (Tippmann 98 Custom w/ 16" J&J Ceramic barrel, 12 Oz CO2 tank, and the basic kit (200 round basic gravity-feed hopper and cleaning squeegees)
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

Cyclist
    Sounds like you got the buzzz.... why wait to jump in with that rattle can? Nothing to do with bikes is wrong.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTech
    i'm actually tempted by a ratty old 16 speed index shift Stumpjumper with semi-horiz. drops at a local pawnshop, the frame's in good shape, as are the rims, it needs a repaint and some TLC, and they want $90 for it,
    Is that a Stumpjumper Comp, painted a sort of flat grey/blue with red lettering and Tange Prestige tubing?
    If so, buy it now! I've had one of that vintage for over a decade and I love it.

mtbr member
    i've noticed that my butt has been getting a lot firmer and better looking since I've been riding a single speed.

Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    i've noticed that my butt has been getting a lot firmer and better looking since I've been riding a single speed.

Prove it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    I noticed that too...;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeMorris
    Is that a Stumpjumper Comp, painted a sort of flat grey/blue with red lettering and Tange Prestige tubing?
    If so, buy it now! I've had one of that vintage for over a decade and I love it.
    IIRC it was a sort of purply-blue and had "cruiser" style riser bars

i'll stop by the pawnshop this Saturday and see if it's the right size, they also had an old Trek 9000 (with a motorcycle-style swingarm suspension that they were asking around $300 for, problem is, it had vert. drops and would need a tensioner....
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTech
    IIRC it was a sort of purply-blue and had "cruiser" style riser bars

i'll stop by the pawnshop this Saturday and see if it's the right size, they also had an old Trek 9000 (with a motorcycle-style swingarm suspension that they were asking around $300 for, problem is, it had vert. drops and would need a tensioner....
    Hmmm...sounds like it may be a year or three newer than mine. My buddy has one of that vintage (or close to it...) and he loves it.
    Buy it!!!!