mtbr member
    Jan 2004

another ENO in the house

where is ernesto? just got my new ENO wheel, got it right here. it is for a dark side fixed gear road wheel, tho. spiffy, it is - with aero spokes laced such that 1/4 of the wheel is black, then 1/4 silver, etc for that stagecoach whirling wheel effect. cool, no ? gonna build that sucka into an old vitus with swank vintage parts and be done shifting and coasting. killa. anyway ernesto thanx for the idea - you are in wi, and i am in wi - could be someday our ENO's meet and we shall ride. see you at the races. tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    where is ernesto? just got my new ENO wheel, got it right here. it is for a dark side fixed gear road wheel, tho. spiffy, it is - with aero spokes laced such that 1/4 of the wheel is black, then 1/4 silver, etc for that stagecoach whirling wheel effect. cool, no ? gonna build that sucka into an old vitus with swank vintage parts and be done shifting and coasting. killa. anyway ernesto thanx for the idea - you are in wi, and i am in wi - could be someday our ENO's meet and we shall ride. see you at the races. tim
    Dang! I am happy you like the ENO. Maybe some day our ENOs will breed and make little ENOs. My ENO is a girl.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Witty McWitterson

Waiting. Just waiting for a loverly rim...

and spokes to slide through holes. and nipples to twist into the perfect tension. and sticky Velox tape to protect the fragile rubber tube held inside a cotton/rubber knobby encasement.

GOD I can't wait to build this bad boy up.

Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Angry Axel 1st, ENO 2nd....

Enough with the ENO love fest! They're good hubs and work well. But let's cut through the hype....

www.angryasian.com

Click on the "wrapped gift" icon on the menu bar. This will lead you to "Angry Stuff". Scoll down and select the "Angry Axel". He's been selling this mod to Paul's hubs for over four years now. The "Angry Axel" works just as well as the ENO, but with a more elegant hub. I've been running one on my Ibis Mojo for three years now!

This is exactly the same scenario when Shimano came out with their V-brakes. No one now remembers Ben Capron of Marinovative who actually designed and executed the idea first.

EwS

Ride what you want!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw
    This is exactly the same scenario when Shimano came out with their V-brakes. No one now remembers Ben Capron of Marinovative who actually designed and executed the idea first.

EwS

I thought Keith Bontrager designed V brakes first?

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    yeah? so? it's not like he made it super easy to get or find. i've seen it on his site, and it never mentions that it is actually in production, or that you can actually get one....

ala his line of still working on the final design.....if it was ready, and easily for purchase, wouldn't you think angry or someone would have mentioned it a bit more here?

i've got an eno. works great. was easy to get.

by the time you bought the paul hub, thenthe angry axle, you'd likely be looking at the same amount of $$$. considering the eno is the only one with any broad support/advertising, why are you surprised people are going with it instead?

not knocking angry in any way, i'm just sayin'...
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

who?

EwS.
    Who's Ben Capron?
    ENO this and ENO that. ENO just used me for marketing the product to you guys. It doesn't matter who came first, what matters is who crossed the finish line first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

actually

Mr Straw,

.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by mon t; 01-22-2004 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    Mr Straw, mr durham at bullseye had such an axle a ways before that. however, like the paul you mention it took up only a small amount of slack. not much more than what you could do yourself by filing the axle yourself. coincideantally, i am waiting for one for my own ibis - tho mine is a few years older than your fine mojo - - -and, since you bring it up - it is also more "elegant" but that is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. . anyway, the bikes such an axle will work on are few - you need to be within a pretty small window. to say it would do what the ENO does for riders at large would be misleading.

the ENO is a fairly large step forward from there, with the eccentric housed in the hub body providing all the tensioning any body would ever need. sort of one of those " why didn't I think of that" type deals, wouldn't you say ? no question they are making a bundle off this leap, and there is was waiting for paul to capitalize on, if only they had done it. sucks for them.

anyway, the roots of the vee brake exist far back in cycling, as does most everything. can't find the link right handy, but i know i have sen it on one of those old timey patents on some site. why shimano elected to pounce on it and more or less eliminate the upstart cnc cottage industries of the early nineties is another story. tim

ps, in what way is a paul hub superior or more elegant than a WI ? c'mon now.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by mon t; 01-22-2004 at 05:59 AM.

Witty McWitterson

EwS
    Oh, I remember Ben C. I'd be willing to bet most if not all the old timers on this board remember who he is. No one is slighting AA, I knew his axle is out there, it just doesn't offer enough range of motion. And where do come off thinking the Paul hub is more elegant the the Eno? They both do the same thing.
    Just a regular guy.

try driving your car less

just got my ENO last night!

Enough with the ENO love fest! They're good hubs and work well. But let's cut through the hype....

www.angryasian.com

Click on the "wrapped gift" icon on the menu bar. This will lead you to "Angry Stuff". Scoll down and select the "Angry Axel". He's been selling this mod to Paul's hubs for over four years now. The "Angry Axel" works just as well as the ENO, but with a more elegant hub. I've been running one on my Ibis Mojo for three years now!

EwS

I just received my ENO equipped wheel last night, wearing an 18tooth Wi freewheel. woohoo! And about the Angry axel, I tried a bunch of times to email angry asian, and never got any replies. So I gave up. I even emailed Paul components, and they said that they would not make and eccentric axle. I eventually gave up trying to brainstorm my own homegrown solution and just bought the ENO - well it was a birthday present. One bummer for me is that I doubt White Industries will ever make an ENO with a cassette like chris king hubs, because WI makes the nice ENO freewheels, so it would be seem a dumb business move for them.
    Only boring people get bored.

surly_b@st@rd

... and if we just ... actually

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Who's Ben Capron?
    ENO this and ENO that. ENO just used me for marketing the product to you guys. It doesn't matter who came first, what matters is who crossed the finish line first.
    i invented the bicycle...............and the internet. but they already had them.
    i also came up with goldfish, before that they were just fish.

...and wheaties too.

-=#ride and prosper#=-
    The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it. -Linus Torvalds

no fat chicks

i thought it was called eric's hub

mtbr member

i just...

Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridebikes
    ...call it ENo for short.

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

What about brake adjustments.....

After making chain tension adjustments will you need to readjust
    the (V) brakes? I,m very much trying to learn about SSing so I can
    decide what type of bike/dropouts to go with. Looks like one needs
    to think about V brake adjustments, fixing flats, and gear changes
    when they decide to get into SSing, I mean when it comes down
    to how one wants to go about adjusting the chain tension???

You guys who know better can you answer this or give the
    pros n cons?

I was going to go w/the ENO aswell but talked to a wheel builder
    about hubs and he thought maybe it was best to go w/a chain
    tensioner w/vertical dropouts to aviod all the other adjustments.

Thank You for your help. V V V

mtbr member

perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by V V V

I was going to go w/the ENO aswell but talked to a wheel builder
    about hubs and he thought maybe it was best to go w/a chain
    tensioner w/vertical dropouts to aviod all the other adjustments.

Thank You for your help. V V V
    wtf? maybe this bike mechanic of yours it they type that hasn't tried anything yet, and assumes too much a la choy! Maybe the wheel builder's lazy?

Believe me, ENO is worth the $$$, it's easy to set up, and there's no issue with the vee brakes.