mtbr member

Angry Asian Paul WORD axle?

i really want a better way to tension my chain on my Paul hub without a chunky spring-loaded tensioner. i love this hub and i don't have the cash for a Eno hub. the Angry Asian website is gone, but the drawings for the Paul hub eccentric axle are still up. does anyone know where i can still get one of these axles? i emailed the guy who ran that site and i emailed Paul about it, but no response yet.

'Calm Down'
    James (aka The Angry Asian) no longer works for a shop and only a few of those axles were ever made. Your best bet would be to have an axle made per the drawings or just suck it up and go ENO. Sorry.

FYI - Paul Comp had nothing to do with making them.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    i really want a better way to tension my chain on my Paul hub without a chunky spring-loaded tensioner. i love this hub and i don't have the cash for a Eno hub. the Angry Asian website is gone, but the drawings for the Paul hub eccentric axle are still up. does anyone know where i can still get one of these axles? i emailed the guy who ran that site and i emailed Paul about it, but no response yet.
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    If you only need a a tiny bit of adjustment, and are close to a magic ratio, then you can do something like this: Poor person's ENO

That old thread is missing some pictures, and was using a QR axle. But I also have a Pauls Word bolt on SS hub, and a similar thing was done by just replacing the brass bolt washers with versions that do not have the lip the sits in the dropout (ie: ones used by most other hubs - I made a set from some old QR skewer ends). The M8 bolt gives you 2mm of adjustment inside the 10mm dropout. If you file down the threads on the bolt that are in the dropout (ie: the threads that are not being used), you can get a little more than 3mm of adjustment. This is really only enough to take up chain wear (or stretch) from a close to magic ratio, but the Angre Asian axle did not have much more adjustment.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    We here in Germany use the so called "mini excenters".
    Cut off the complete ends of the axle, then attach the little excenters, and you can adjust the rear wheel for 5mm (approx. 0.2"). This is enough for everything near the magic gear. You can use the QR scewer, the thread is long enough.
    I ride these minis for over a year, no problem at all, and i ride them with dics.
    It is a BIT tricky, but it works. I use PM-calipers, so i can put some washers between the adapter and the caliper in case the disc starts to rub inside the caliper.
    Here's a pic of them:
    http://www.eingangradforum.de/attach...chmentid=10965
    More pics available.

The only no-go: narrow dropouts ritchey-style. The excenters have not enough space to
    rotate. If so we have a solution, too. I can show pics if requested.

mtbr member
    I highly doubt having an axle machined from the drawings would be any cheaper than just buying an ENO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mcm#111
    We here in Germany use the so called "mini excenters".
    Cut off the complete ends of the axle, then attach the little excenters, and you can adjust the rear wheel for 5mm (approx. 0.2"). This is enough for everything near the magic gear. You can use the QR scewer, the thread is long enough.
    I ride these minis for over a year, no problem at all, and i ride them with dics.
    It is a BIT tricky, but it works. I use PM-calipers, so i can put some washers between the adapter and the caliper in case the disc starts to rub inside the caliper.
    Here's a pic of them:
    http://www.eingangradforum.de/attach...chmentid=10965
    More pics available.

The only no-go: narrow dropouts ritchey-style. The excenters have not enough space to
    rotate. If so we have a solution, too. I can show pics if requested.
    We'lll thats REALLY ingenious!!

Maybe its possible to match it to a specially made hub. Something like an ENO for magic gearing.

I must say again. I am very impressed.

mtbr member
    i know a guy who is a machinist and is bored. he said he would do it for me for the challenge. once he gets it down, i'll be sure to tell him to start making them and make a fortune. or at least a few bucks.

mtbr member
    Found a spare axle in the parts bin. I should be down your way next week if you want to meet up. It would be a good candidate or template for you machinist friend so you don't have to give up your current axle.

mtbr member
    ooo, thanks bob!

Yo.

Poke around on cyclingnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    James Huang is now the cyclingnews.com tech editor IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.