mnt bike laws of physics

American Classic vs. Hadley

I am looking to build a light rear bolt-on SS wheel that has the ability to run gears. The American Classic is about as light as it gets but I am worried about the quality and the low engagement. We have some serious technical trails around here where the quick engagement would help. I have a geared Hadley bolt-on hub which is a serious anchor (it is about a pound - almost twice as heavy as the AC), but I love the engagement and the quality...not to mention the customer service.
    I have searched far and wide for a versitile hub and I have narrowed it down to these two because they both accept a reduced cassette. DT Swiss would also work (as its weight is respectable for sure), but am not a fan of the super small flanges (which is probably where they shed the extra mass).

I am relying on your knowledge to guide me. Is the Hadley quality worth the extra mass over the AC? Or should I reconsider the DT Swiss which is heavier than the AC but still quite a bit less than the Hadley?

Thanks for you help and have a great New Years.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    If between the Hadley and AC, I would take the Hadley hands down. Hope Pro II SS hub can run gears no problem and many are doing just that. I9 SS will work...King SS will work, and thats what I am doing. In summary, I wouldnt do the AC in this regard

mnt bike laws of physics
    I've eliminated the Hope seeing as it is about the same mass as the Hadley(at least that is what I am gathering) and the Hadley has it beat as far as POE and quieter.

I would love to go with a King (it is a little lighter that the Hadley and the ring-drive is a sweet design), but the splines of the freewheel body are threaded on the end, so I wouldn't be able to use a single cog (one without a carrier) near the end of it especially since it is aluminum....am I wrong? It looks like it would bite into the aluminum being that the splines and not only smaller but threaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American Classic vs. Hadley-ck-ss-hub.jpg  

mtbr member

Hadley

I have 3 King wheelsets (2 bouhgt on used bikes) and one Hadley wheelset and while they are the 4 best wheelsets I've owned in 16 years of riding mountain the Kings offer very little advantage over the Hadleys other than weight, and hubs are the least important part of the wheel to save weight. Ideally it would be nice to save the 80g at the hub as well but of my 4 wheelsets the Hadleys have proven at least as fast and saves $100 over the King hub while retaining the ease of maintenance and conventional parts.
    If I build another wheelset in the future it'll be a blue Hadley ss set, the Hadley blue is unique among hubs and would look increadible with my dream SS Lynskey.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    I have 3 King wheelsets (2 bouhgt on used bikes) and one Hadley wheelset and while they are the 4 best wheelsets I've owned in 16 years of riding mountain the Kings offer very little advantage over the Hadleys other than weight, and hubs are the least important part of the wheel to save weight. Ideally it would be nice to save the 80g at the hub as well but of my 4 wheelsets the Hadleys have proven at least as fast and saves $100 over the King hub while retaining the ease of maintenance and conventional parts.
    If I build another wheelset in the future it'll be a blue Hadley ss set, the Hadley blue is unique among hubs and would look increadible with my dream SS Lynskey.

Thanks for your input slowrider.
    I am going down to my shop this week and ordering a Blue SS Hadley bolt-on. My current 9 speed hub is Red with a through axle which is an option for the SS hub as well, but I think the bolt-on would be awesome. Do you know if the bolts (which are titanium) are fully threaded (like the Hope bolts) or are they only threaded at the ends like the King fun-bolts?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    sounds like you made your choice, but i'll throw in my 2 cents anyways.... AC seems to be not so hot in the durrability department, Every set i've seen had a ton of slop in the bearings or had freehub issues. I have no experience with the hadleys, but i have quite a few miles on my dt swiss 240s hubs. I think since i've had absolutely no problems with my dt swiss, i would probably stick with them simply because they're lighter and cheaper.

mtbr member

Don't know

Call the shops on that one, my Hadley aren't SS specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Thanks for your input slowrider.
    I am going down to my shop this week and ordering a Blue SS Hadley bolt-on. My current 9 speed hub is Red with a through axle which is an option for the SS hub as well, but I think the bolt-on would be awesome. Do you know if the bolts (which are titanium) are fully threaded (like the Hope bolts) or are they only threaded at the ends like the King fun-bolts?

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I've eliminated the Hope seeing as it is about the same mass as the Hadley(at least that is what I am gathering) and the Hadley has it beat as far as POE and quieter.

I would love to go with a King (it is a little lighter that the Hadley and the ring-drive is a sweet design), but the splines of the freewheel body are threaded on the end, so I wouldn't be able to use a single cog (one without a carrier) near the end of it especially since it is aluminum....am I wrong? It looks like it would bite into the aluminum being that the splines and not only smaller but threaded.
    I wouldnt run a cog out that far, there's a chance of damaging the freehub body IMHO, plus you kinda need the threads for the locknut. But i would hope you wouldnt need your chainline to be that far out.

EDIT: misread what you said so i changed my reply.

Expert Crasher
    You know, if you run a PG-990, there are 5 gears pinned to an alloy spider/carrier. Negates the argument to NOT use the King.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Go DT

Ive had a Hadley bolt on and am currently running a dt swiss 240, so I guess i can share what Ive come across. While the Hadleys are bomber and the engagement is seriously fast, they are tanks. It was noticeable when I first used it. I had problems with the bearings it was 108 POE model, but they have since fixed the issue and now use a 72 POE. Great customer service, excellent machining but kinda pain to tear apart compared to the DT Swiss.

The 240 while having smaller flanges and less engagement is a lot lighter. Ive been very happy with mine. If the stock star ratchets don't have enough POE you can upgrade to the newer one that have 36 points. They are very easy to maintain and you can find parts at any good bike shop since QBP and BTI both cary them. Ive had a 240 on my geared bike now for 4 years and a SS one for a little less than a full race season.

You mentioned you want a light bolt on setup. I cant speak about the AC as I have never used one, but If your looking for a light race worthy hub I would go for the dt swiss, you can use bolt ons or their RWS skewer too. Also you can stick a Jones modified xtr cassette on there too if you use a spacer under the lockring. Hope that helps some.

Paul

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinjp
    The 240 while having smaller flanges and less engagement is a lot lighter. Ive been very happy with mine. If the stock star ratchets don't have enough POE you can upgrade to the newer one that have 36 points. They are very easy to maintain and you can find parts at any good bike shop since QBP and BTI both cary them. Ive had a 240 on my geared bike now for 4 years and a SS one for a little less than a full race season.
    Thanks Paul,
    I thought the DT Swiss SS hub came with 36 POE.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinjp
    Also you can stick a Jones modified xtr cassette on there too if you use a spacer under the lockring.
    So, you're saying that it fits (5) 9 speed spaced cogs with a little room left over?

Jul 2006
    i would also like to add that dt swiss has great customer service. when i called them for parts for my old magura hubs (which were actually rebadged dt swiss onyx hubs), they said they could sell me the parts, or they could upgrade them for me and i'd get the new stuff at cost. I walked away with a great deal on a complete set of wheels, which i'm still running today and this was back in 2006.
    I think it came to close to a third of retail price on a $1000 set of wheels. not sure how typical this is, but i surely was a happy customer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yogi,

I believe they just sell the kit as an aftermarket option. Mine came with the stock 18 point star ratchets.

I emailed Jeff Jones after looking at his website with all those freaky drive trains he comes up with. I wanted to know if his modified XT 6 gear cassette would work on my DT. I never did get around to trying it myself. If you do do it your going to use a sram or shimano cassette with the carriage holding the large cogs together right ? I dont know how well 5 (9) speed cogs would work on there, you may need a lot of spacers. Im sure somebody around here has first hand knowledge on this.

Paul