mtbr member

American Classic Singlespeed wheelset

Are there any bigger guys on American Classic 29er single speed wheels? I'm 6"5" 250 with gear.

I am currently running Mavic MA-40s on XTR M950 hubs and I think the MA-40s are done. I'm torn between building new wheels using my current hubs and Mavic 719 rims and keeping the v-brakes or getting a single speed specific wheelset and upgrading to disc. My frame & fork can accommodate both.
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd say new rims+discs would be the more "bang for your buck" option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    I'd say new rims+discs would be the more "bang for your buck" option.
    +1. Use your XTR hubs and get some Stan's Arches or even Flows build up. Ask someone like LaceMine29.com to build them for you and you got a great set of wheels that will last you.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

openwound
    I'm not as big as you, 6' 190 (was ~170 when I was riding the wheels). I had a set of the AC SS wheels and even for me they were flexy. I'd have to agree that getting a set of wheels built would probably be a better option. For your size I wouldn't use a lightweight spoke, such as DT Revolution's. I'd stick with Comps.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining View Post
    +1. Use your XTR hubs and get some Stan's Arches or even Flows build up. Ask someone like LaceMine29.com to build them for you and you got a great set of wheels that will last you.
    Wish that would work, but the M950's are for rim brakes.
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    In that case...

The american classics (on a quick search) appear to run in the $750ish range.

You can get a stans set on flows, built and ready to ride in the $550ish range judging from their website and spend the $200 on a nice set of hydros and stay in the same price as your american classics. If you're building your own wheels, I put together a set of stans rims with hope SS hubs easily under the $600 range and love them.

Depending on your current brakeset, decide if a $200 set of hydros would be an upgrade and go from there. I've never really heard bad things about stans setups.

mtbr member
    i got my American Classics from Tree Fort for $650 delivered, not the SS hub. i use them with a spacer kit knowing i can swap them to another bike if i want. Cheaper too. they are way better than WTB trail, WTB All Mountain, Stan's Arch, and Charge Pros. Key is they only weight 1600 grams. BTW i am 6'3" 250lbs and very happy with them. Stiff and strong. in fact i have them on my geared bike also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails American Classic Singlespeed wheelset-20120408_114729sm.jpg