Let's Go!

Am I going backwards ?

I'm feeling guilty! 2 years of riding my old converted Stumpjumper SingleSpeed. 2 years of riding
    my Niner S.I.R. 9 SingleSpeed. I was starting to miss the downhill abilities of full suspension so
    recently I built up a Santa Cruz Blur TRC with 650b wheels.
    Big mistake.
    This bike is so much fun I am starting to worry that I won't want to ride my SS bikes anymore!
    It's smooth. It's fast. It 's crazy light (23 pounds) climbs awesome in or out of the saddle.
    It's really kind of amazing.....
    Anyway.
    Has anyone else gone through this? I do really love SingleSpeeding. Really! But damn this new bike is
    fun..........do I need an intervention?
    2012 Blur TRc 650b
    2010 Niner SIR9 SS
    1994 Stumpjumper SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just don't sell the singlespeed, You'll be back on it again someday, and say, "Wow, I really love this singlespeed, glad I didn't get rid of it".

Let's Go!
    Thanks 202. I hadn't even considered selling any of my bikes. But that's good advice anyway.
    2012 Blur TRc 650b
    2010 Niner SIR9 SS
    1994 Stumpjumper SS

mtbr member
    SS it. You say it climbs well in and out of the saddle. Enjoy both worlds. Mashing and bombing in one package.

Let's Go!
    Well I am running it 1x10.
    2012 Blur TRc 650b
    2010 Niner SIR9 SS
    1994 Stumpjumper SS

mtbr member
    It's interesting to see posts like this. If you stack a rigid SS next to a geared FS bike, most people are going to think the geared FS is more fun, period, end of discussion. I mean, why would you subject yourself to the beating of the rigid bike, and the agony of one gear climbing a hill, etc. when you could get on a cadillac and do the same trails in comfort, spinning, floating over everything?

People wondered about me when I bought my FS bike, was I done with the SS? Not hardly. See, that fast floaty thing, that's fun, but it's a completely different kind of fun to what the SS is. Largely I use the FS bike for trails or rides where I simply don't feel like putting my body through the beating that SS would be, but I still want to ride. I tell people it doesn't take away from me SS riding, it lets me mountain bike more. Put the FS bike up for a weekend. I promise you the feeling of that sharply focused effort, and the zen of knowing the only way up the hill is to ride the bike, or push it, not thinking about gearing, pedal rpm, heart rate, etc will bring you right back to the trail.

There's nothing wrong with the fascination of that "new" fun, you just need to bring your mind back in line with the old fun too. Balance, grasshopper.

mtbr member
    I've read a fair many posts from folks extolling the incredible ride of current suspension tech. I suppose it makes sense that those are the bikes that will really wow, because that's where the money and effort is for R&D. A SS, either rigid or geared, is always going to be just a bike. Which is a lot of why I like them. But, lately I've found myself daydreaming about the idea of floating over trails on a full squish. My Pugsley offers some of that feeling, but nothing like what I imagine a current, well designed full boinger like you just got. One day if I have more funds I could see myself with a quiver of bikes. One for each mood. The issue with that is that that ideal quiver changes daily.

Have fun on your new bike! and don't worry about it. It's just biking.

Let's Go!
    Thanks for the input guys.

Truth to tell, I really liked being called "Singlespeed Steve" by my friends. Kind of a "Bad Boy" reputation if you know what I mean. With the new bike I'm kind of like just another full squish rider, although I do feel like I am a much stronger and faster Squish rider than I was before I took up Singlespeeding.

Balance indeed. I will not give up the Singlespeed Way. I will keep having fun. Thanks for the reminders....
    2012 Blur TRc 650b
    2010 Niner SIR9 SS
    1994 Stumpjumper SS

ask
    user

Am I going backwards ?

Ride both. I have a similar setup to you... I ride SS during the week on semi-technical trails and squish on DH / AM trails on weekends. I really enjoy both types of rides and it is nice to balance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I rode my SS for years exclusively. I even had a custom Ti frame made and rode that SS. Eventually due to life getting in the way of riding regularly, I made that frame 1x9 which was very fun and a little more forgiving. Gears allowed me to ride inconsistently without feeling killed after every ride. I just bought a $uper nice full sus and converted my Ti frame back to a SS. Now I ride both depending on my mood. As others have said it is really nice to have options. SS makes you a better rider on your full sus too.

My brother came to visit last week and wanted to ride my SS when we went for a ride together (he had never tried one before). Seeing the ear to ear grin on his face after the ride reminded me exactly how I felt after my first SS ride, and the pure, simple, fun experience they offer. He is totally hooked. Very cool see the stoke on his face...he looked enlightened.

Enjoy the two bikes!

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Just ride whatever bike gives you the most fun and screw the rest. Don't try to rationalize whether you should ride one bike or the other, just get on the one that gives you the biggest smile today.